Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

106 Sqn RAF - OC B Flight - Oct 1942

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by fz1, Jan 20, 2009.

1. fz1

fz1 Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to identify the signature of O.C. 'B' Flight, 106 Sqn RAF in Oct 1942. (See attached Pic).

Does anyone have any idea who the Sqn Ldr is please?

Thanks,

Jon

[​IMG]

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Just a guess but what about Franks and Gibson?

3. fz1

fz1 Member

Hi,

Definitely Gibson as OC Sqn, but thanks for the suggestion of Franks - I'll see if I get anywhere with that.

Jon

4. fz1

fz1 Member

Just a brief follow-up to my original question, in case anyone is interested, I've now found out that the gent in question is:

John Searby D.S.O .D.F.C

He took command of 106 Sqn for a couple of months when Gibson left to form 617 Sqn for the Dams raid. He subsequently moved to the Pathfinder force commanding 83 Sqn and a couple of the Pathfinder Bases (Warboys & Upwood).

Cheers,

Jon

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

congrats Fz, are the sigs on an after action report on some raid over the Reich ?

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Oh - I've only just seen this thread and you're quite right - that's 'Honest John' Searby signing above Gibson. Searby's signature changed a little after WWII,

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend reading Searby's posthumously-published memoir 'The Everlasting Arms' ( edited by Martin Middlebrook ) which covers his career and his association with Gibson in great detail.

7. fz1

fz1 Member

Hi Erich - The sigs are on a logbook page from a 106 Sqn aircrew member. I think that it was the wirless operator on a crew captained by P/O Cooper (more research required there!) because the "duty" is listed as "1st W.O.P." on all the entries on the page.

The two aircraft listed on for the flights are R5750 and W4770 and the log page lists five operational missions an a few transits and training flights.
    I checked the flights agains the aircraft records on this site and they all tie up. Lost Bombers - World War II Lost Bombers

Hi Martin - Thanks very much for the tip about Searby's memoirs; I'll get hold of a copy.

Jon