Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

106th Cavalry Group - Looking for info

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by TD-Tommy776, Feb 9, 2012.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Just sent you a PM.

2. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

3. TD-Tommy776

Thanks for asking, John. Actually, I just got a copy not too long ago. I've been too busy lately to read it, but I will at least skim through it when I have the time. I doubt it is the same book Dave (kerrd5) mentioned above. Seems like a more recent publication. Still, it may be helpful.

4. Natman

Natman Member

Hope this link works: http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=worldcat_org_bks&q=106th+cavalry+group+in+europe&fq=dt%3Abks

Click the first entry for the 106th original history, the next page should pick up your ISP server location and tell you the closest libraries that have a copy. Go to your local library and give them the book information, title, publisher, date of publication, etc. They'll be able to bring it up on their computer and get a copy sent there for you to check out. Don't know if you have a library card but I've done this before and it works great.

5. TD-Tommy776

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. I may give it a try when they give me my library card back. Those librarians are strict up here in MN. :p

6. Hunter819

Hunter819 New Member

Tommy

I am the grand nephew of Robert Moore. Uncle Bob served in the squadron as a Tank Commander during the rescue of the King and Queen of Leopold. My uncle passed in Feb of 2013 and left me a manuscript that details the entire WW2 engagement of the 106th Regiment. I would be happy to send you a copy.
    Please contact me by email at rjhunt79@yahoo.com, if you would like a copy.

Good luck on your search. (My grandma was Uncle Bob's sister)

Robert Hunter

7. TD-Tommy776

Thank you for the offer, Robert. I'll be sending you an email.

8. brewguy85

brewguy85 New Member

Im new to the forum. Im looking up some info on the 106th. I was passed down a book on the 508th airborne as well asthe 106th in europe book. I was wondering how they were involved with eachother? Was the 106th a relief unit for them?

9. Natman

Natman Member

Welcome to the forum, brewguy85!
    I don't think there's any connection between the 508th and 106th. Both were completely separate units although they may have crossed paths at some point during the war. Is there something you're seeing that seems to indicate they were associated?

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I was just about to use the same answer as Natman but he beat me to it. If you have both books you should be able to cross-reference them. It would be really nice if you could summarize each one. They sound fascinating.

11. TD-Tommy776

12. brewguy85

brewguy85 New Member

Yep. Both were passed down. I was curious if it was a unit he may have fought alongside of or if he knew someone in the unit

13. brewguy85

brewguy85 New Member

Im thinking its more possible he knew someone in the 508th or may have been given the book as a gift.

14. TD-Tommy776

I think you're on the right track. If you haven't already, you may want to look through the book to see if there is any underlining, notes, dog-eared pages, etc. that may indicate items of importance to him. From there you may be able to make an educated guess as to why he had the 508th book. Of course, there's always the possibility that the book was in that condition when he received it. In that case, ignore everything I just said. :)

15. brewguy85

brewguy85 New Member

Im looking into whether they may have been located nearby postwar possibly as well.

16. LRusso216

Sounds like you're hooked on this research. Tommy is correct, try to gather as much information as possible, then follow each clue to its end. Good luck.

17. brewguy85

brewguy85 New Member

Update : I have found that there were atleast 1 or 2 members of the 121st that transferred into the 508th p.i.r.

18. LRusso216

Details?

19. brewguy85

brewguy85 New Member

On the 508th PIR website Francis Mahan is reffered to as being in K Troop of the 121st Cavalry in July of 1940.

http://www.508pir.org/co_pix/co_i/co-i-m.htm

Edit : Sorry. upon further research, different cavalry group out of New York. interesting though

20. TD-Tommy776

At the end of the War there was a lot of moving soldiers around from one unit to another. It was mostly done to allow soldiers with a high point total to be rotated home. The vacancies would then be filled by "low point" soldiers from other units.

We're really just guessing here. If you are really serious about getting a definitive answer, it might help if you have the discharge papers of the WWII veteran who was the previous owner of the books. Even then, it may still require hiring a researcher to trace his service.