Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

119th Infantry, 30th Division

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lynne sidaway, Jan 14, 2018.

1. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Not sure how this works, this is my first post! is there anywhere online i can find the morning reports for the 119th? Anywhere i can find out which company someone was in? many thanks

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Lynne, welcome to the Forums. There are other areas which may have been better. More importantly, the title of your post will be more helpful. As a general rule, Morning Reports are not found online. They are held at the NARA in St. Louis and can only be accessed by going there personally or hiring a researcher. Having said that, the 30th ID is a well researched and documented Division, so that may act in your favor. We have some 30th ID and 119th IR experts here who may be along shortly. It will be much easier to help you if we know name of the veteran in which you are interested.

3. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Thanks for replying, i'm interested in ,
    Private Rocco STANISH kia August 10th 1944
    Private Florian KUCERA kia August 10th 1944

Anything would be helpful. i don't even know which company they were in.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Rocco STANISH, Co F, 2nd Battalion, 119th. IR

All I have for KUCERA is the 119th IR.

Have you tried 30th Infantry Division

or

Reports

EDIT

see this about 2nd Battalion http://www.oldhickory30th.com/119th 3rd Battalion Combat Journal June 16 1944 to June 17 45.pdf

2nd Battalion was fighting north of Mortain around St Barthelemy. The Rousell mentioned can be found on modern maps as Le Bois Roussel. You can also find Le Mesnil Tove. To the south, on Hill 314, just east of Mortain, 2nd/120th were fighting for their lives, surrounded mostly by the 2nd Panzer Division. 2/119 was trying contain the German trusts north of Mortain and at the same time move to relieve the 2/120th, trapped on the hill. I was blessed in 2014 to visit the area with a soldier from the 30th ID.

The 30th Infantry Division earned their spurs containing the German attack and broke the German attempts to reach the sea and split the American forces.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  5. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

i have been on the 30th Division website but never found that Rocco Stanish was in company F so thanks very much for that information.
    My husband and i live in France ( about 2 and a half hours from Mortain). An elderly frenchman, who was aged 18 during the battle, gave us a tour last November.. It was wonderful. We climbed up Hill 314 and he told us all kinds of stories about the americans and germans. He became friends with Robert Weiss. A moving insight as to what was happening at that time.
    Thanks again for your help, its much appreciated.

Slipdigit and KMZgirl like this.
  6. Slipdigit

You are the fortunate. I would love to be able walk over all of the grounds of the Mortain battlefield, not just Hill 314 and surrounding area. Robert Weiss' book is one of my favorites.

My "guide" spent most of the week manning a roadblock on D977, after a deadly fight on the D907. He was with the divisional recon troop.

My source for the unit assignments is an excel file prepared by Frank Towers. I can send it to you, if you like.

7. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Jeff i would really like that; thank you; My email is Removed by Slipdigit

Perhaps i should explain what i'm doing. I am in the early stages of writing abook about some Americans buried at St James cemetery. I have about 50 so far. I contact their families and they very kindly send me infromation about them, photos, copies of last letters etc. The response has been amazing. I am a real novice and have never written anything before but i do have a publisher willing to look at a finished manuscript. You never know!
    Thank you very much,
    Lynne

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2018
  8. Slipdigit

I've sent it to you and have edited your post to remove the email address. Might save you some grief later on.

I am glad you have had a good response from the families and look forward to seeing your book for sale.

There are several good manuscript readers in the forum who can offer you sage advice before you send your book to an editor. They read mine and were very helpful. If you are interested, let me know and I point you in the right direction. They are also discrete if you are concerned about protecting your work.

lynne sidaway likes this.