Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

146th Infantry regiment

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by DannyM, May 27, 2010.

1. DannyM

DannyM recruit

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I thought some of you maight be able to help me. My father was in the Army 146th Infantry regiment from 1941-1945. My family was able to get some stories from him before his death last year but he didn't talk about the war much. I have some keepsakes from his time in the Army including some sketches of two Japanese prisoners from Iwo Jima that one of his buddies drew on US Army Stationery. I am just curious as to how much my father saw and experienced during the war. There is a wealth of information on the Marines during the war but I haven't had much luck finding Army info. If any of you could shed some light on the 146th Infantry regiment I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I was going to start a new thread, but then I found this one in a web search and figured I'd bump it. This thread may be better suited for the Infomation Request forum section.

I am pretty much stumped on this one. I cannot find any information on the 146th Infantry Regiment during WWII. I have been able to find references:

Unithistories.com - listed but no link

Pacificwrecks.com - briefly mentioned in a bio:

I have not yet tried contacting the person in the bio, but may yet do so.

If anyone has any info on the 146th, please chime in.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. Earthican

Earthican Member

5. TD-Tommy776

That's pretty much what I found -- nothing. The reason I started looking in the first place was that I came across a couple grave markers referencing the 146th. I was pretty sure that they are mistakes as one also referenced the 37th Division and another the 36th Division. However, when I did a quick search, I found this thread and the other websites I listed above. In rereading the quote from the Pacific Wrecks website, I think that was also a typo. It was probably supposed to be the 147th Infantry, in which his father served. Also, it is clear that Tom Mcleod did write a history of the 147th Infantry.

I hope that DannyM finds his way back here. I hate to think that his search might have been stymied by starting out with wrong info.

6. canal42

canal42 New Member

Attached Files:

7. TD-Tommy776

Peter,

Danny was actually asking about the 146th, not the 164th. However, you're bumping this thread got me to do another Google search and I found a Battle of Iwo Jima summary on The Navy Department Library website that addresses something that puzzled me:

If Danny's father was in the 147th Infantry, his reference to the "sketches of two Japanese prisoners from Iwo Jima..." begins to make sense.