Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

17pdr Archer

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Pacifist, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Since as Sheldrake has mentioned there aren't enough posts about the 17pdr. Does anyone have information as to the combat effectiveness or crew opinion of the British Archer?

2. Don Juan

Don Juan New Member

I've seen early complaints that it was a step backwards from the M10/Achilles, as it didn't have a rotating turret. Other than, from what I can tell it was mostly used for "pepperpot" indirect fire in NWE. It was definitely used for this during the assault on Goch. So not enough usage for really strong opinions to be formed as far as I can tell.

It appears the Archer did well against the Israelis when it was used by the Egyptian army. Info here: http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/KeytotheSinai.pdf

3. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Used basically as a dug in antitank gun with an engine. Effective as long as the enemy can't bring artillery to bare. Nice find. :)

4. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

A rear facing gun for the ultimate "shoot and scoot" weapon, possibly the best that could be done on the reliable but slow valentine chassis but IMO not a great weapon and an apparent step back from the Achilles in flexibility.

5. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member