Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

17th Airborne, 194th GIR.

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by kilohertz, Jun 9, 2010.

1. kilohertz

kilohertz Member

as far as i knew, my grandfather served in the 17th airborne, glider infantry regiment. we have a picture of him in uniform and i believe a press clipping about his rank as T5 corporal.

HOWEVER, more recently, my mom was reading his separation papers and they state that upon his discharge in November, 1945 he was in the 320th glider field artillery.

is it possible that when the 194th was dissolved, he was transferred to the 320th?

i have requested his records but, i expect that i'll be waiting a while. i do have information from his enlistment records.

thank you in advance for your help.

Kendusimmus likes this.
  2. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

I can check the 17th Airborne Roster. What was your Grandfather's name?

As to being in the 320th GFA, that is entirely feasible. I know of several 17th Airborne members who were transferred to the 82nd Airborne.

Steve W.

3. kilohertz

kilohertz Member

John L. Chiaretti

If you needed any other information, such as serial numbers, etc. i could drop you a PM.

thank you.

4. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Your Grandfather was in the 680th GFA. Here's part of the section about the 680th from my book on Op Varsity:

The Battalion Liaison Party was the first group to land. They had jumped with the 513th’s 3rd Battalion so had become caught up in the confusion following the 513th’s drop off-zone.
    The ninety-seven gliders, which carried the rest of the battalion, and its 105mm howitzers, fared better, though two had to abort. The others began landing at 1140, with minimal casualties caused by enemy fire. On the ground, though, it was a different matter as guns were zeroed in on the landing zone. The men had to make a hasty assembly and even speedier evacuation as small arms, machine gun and mortar fire swept the area. So intense was this fire that near on forty gliders were destroyed, some with their ammunition or transport loads.
    Despite the conditions, within five minutes of landing the battalion had guns laid and firing on strongpoints and artillery positions. By 1245, about half the battalion had assembled in firing positions and six howitzers were engaged in a fire plan. Five hours later, a further three guns were also firing and some 900 rounds of ammunition had been collected. The Command Post was established, with a complete wire net, at 1345.
    During that day, the 680th captured three batteries and took 150 prisoners. Its medics treated over a hundred casualties. For its actions, the 680th received a Distinguished Unit Citation. An extract from which is produced below:
    [[FONT=&quot]The 680th] is cited for extraordinary heroism, efficiency and achievement…With complete disregard for their personal safety, the members unloaded their gliders under a withering cross-fire, assembled in small groups, and fought their way through occupied enemy strong points and field fortifications to the assembly area, using howitzers, bazookas, grenades and carbines to reduce enemy positions. With 19 killed, including both battery commanders, and 56 wounded during the assembly, the aggressive action of all members…in the face of great odds and a defensively prepared enemy…assisted materially in the ultimate success of the operation.

[/FONT]
    Steve W.

5. kilohertz

kilohertz Member

Mr. Wright,

Thank you so much for this information. I'm honestly nearly in tears.

I'd actually just received your book yesterday and started reading it last nite in hopes of finding more information about this battle (and if my grandfather was involved).

Do you happen to have more specific information concerning which battery, etc?

I truly appreciate this so much as it sheds light on history I can only wish I'd heard from him firsthand.

Thank you.

6. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

You're very welcome. Mr Wright is so formal - Steve is fine.

I can't give you specific information on his battery. When you're allowed to receive PMs I'll send you details of someone who might be able to help.

Steve W.

7. kilohertz

kilohertz Member

excellent... thanks.

i posted a guest message on your profile.

8. kilohertz

kilohertz Member

i am also curious if there were more than 2 batteries (A and B) as i've found these photos (though it's difficult to recognize faces):

battery A

[​IMG]

battery B

[​IMG]

9. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Before Varsity, the 680th was increased to three Batteries and converted onto the 105mm howitzer.

BTW, in Don Pay's history of the division, there's a chapter on the 680th written by two of its members.

Steve W.

10. kilohertz

kilohertz Member

11. littlebill31

littlebill31 recruit

Hello all. So glad to find a forum about the 194th! My grandfather said he was in the 194th and I have a picture of him in uniform with my grandmother. He has the 17th airborne patch on his arm and the 194th GIR patch on his cover. I am unable to find anything on him though. He passed away in '95 and all of his belongings "disappeared" when my uncle got ahold of them. His name was Louis Joseph Niebel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know very little about his service. I also have a Valentines day card that he sent to my grandmother from Georgia while he was training. Thanks again.

12. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

Hi, liitlebill31

Welcome to the Forum.

The 17th Airborne Divn Roster shows that your Grandfather was also in the 680th!

Steve W.

13. littlebill31

littlebill31 recruit

WOW!!! Thank you so much Steve! How do I obtain this info. He did a lot in WW2. Merchant Marines, then the airborne. I just wish that all his stuff didn't disappear as I stated before. I was in the Marine Corps infantry for 8 years and am trying to compile all my families military history. Again, Thank you.

14. John T. Gerlosky

John T. Gerlosky New Member

I can across a map overlay pertaining to Operation Varsity on the Internet and it shows the map symbols for three battalions of the 194th GIR. Can anyone confirm this information? In Frank J. O'Rouke's account of the Assault Across the Rhine he mentions two officers dressed in German uniforms (Fluent in German) were aboard a glider named the Phantom which also contained a captured German jeep. Their mission was to land, drive across the Issel Canal to the autobahn and divert German reinforcements away from the assault area. Their glider was hit by flack damaging the jeep and both were KIA by enemy fire upon landing on LZ S. Frank J. O'Rourke was in Company C, 194th GIR. Knowing his battalion would help me sort out approximate glider landing locations for the 194th GIR, 680th and 681st FAB and four batteries of the 155th AAB which were in the first contingent, two serials apiece from the 437th, 436th, 435th and 439th Troop Carrier Groups. Any information and suggestions will be appreciated.
    With kind regards,
    John T. Gerlosky
    PS I believe the two officers aboard the Phantom glider were 1st Lt Eldon Leroy Allen 17th CIC Detachment attached to the 17th Airborne Division and 1st Lt Gerard Guyot Cameron 218th CIC Detachment attached to XVIII Corps (Airborne) who volunteered to go with the 17th Airborne Division on Operation Varsity. Both were KIA 24 Mar 1945 after landing on LZ S.

15. Earthican

Earthican Member

16. John T. Gerlosky

John T. Gerlosky New Member

17. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Great thread! My grandfather was in HQ/680th. I can't believe I missed seeing this thread in all my previous searches. Glad it's been resurrected.

18. Denverchief

Denverchief New Member

Hello gentlemen,

I found this page doing some research on my grandfather. From what I can gather he was a part of the Kilo Company 3rd Battalion 194th Glider infantry. I didn't see his name on the roster John posted - looking for clarification.

Also any information about the movement/battles they would have been involved in. His discharge paperwork lists Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Central Europe and Air Offensive Europe as his campaigns/battles.

I also found something about the Charlotte Blue Enlisted Mems Club in Luneville, France - any information about that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

19. Pete Boychuck

Pete Boychuck New Member

Hello everyone, just found this site last week. I believe my Grandpa, William Weber also served in the 194th GIR. His military items and such disappeared when my Aunt had the house remodeled. From what I remember he had the Golden Talon Patch and Glider wings. I know he fought in the Battle of the Bulge, as did his brother Harold who was in the 82nd 504th PIR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.