Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1910 98 K Mauser

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by pwjr1979, Oct 8, 2010.

1. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

I have a 1910 98 K Mauser. I've been trying to find out the country it was made in. Above the year stamp it says Danzic or Danzig, above that is what looks like a crown. I would love any help I can get. Thanks

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Are you sure about the date - 1910 is very early for a true 98k ( the K98k wasn't introduced until 1934 ). Is it a converted Gewehr 98 ?

Some G98s were converted to shorter barrels ( making the Kar 98b ) but this wasn't until the 1920s.....

3. Martin Bull

OK - I think I've got it....:)

Danzig was a German State Arsenal prior to WW1 and manufactured G98 and 98a rifles. During WWII, some of these rifles from old stocks were converted to K98ks, not usually for use by front-line troops but more for second-line, police, etc.

Some of these in turn were captured by the Soviets and now appear on the Relic and Curio market.....

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

on the money martin, sounds like what he has...

Gewehr 98 this'll help...

5. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

I took some pictuers of the mauser today but I'm not sure how to post them on here. I forgot to state that its a 8mm too and has all matching part numbers.

6. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

just click on 'go advanced' and scroll down to where it says 'manage attachments' - then you can add most types and sizes of pics. you can also just paste them in the text, but this can be annoying if they are large.

7. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

Pictures by pwcg2010 - Photobucket I've tried to resize the pics to upload but havn't been able to do so. I have added a link to my photobucket album where i have the pics at.

8. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

For me the photos don't show the engraving quite clear enough to be sure of anything, but it does look like Danzig and an imperial German crown, although that crown style was common in most of Europe.

Maybe someone will correct me here but i believe the 8mm Mauser was the same as the 7.92/57 and was just a Mauser simplification of the designation, not a different calibre?

9. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

I will take a few more pictuers of the gun without the flash on.

10. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

if the photos don't come out so well, some black or blue indian ink in the engraving will make it stand out much better and won't harm anything.

11. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

Ok, I have new pictuers taken and they are uploaded to the same page as above. I know this gun had been moded because the stock has been cut and its off blance ( so bad I've seen it break two peoples noses lol ) but I've also noticed that the safety is only a two point safety. Would anyone know about that if there was any made this way or just a mod that might have been done on this gun.

12. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

by two point safety i guess you mean just off and on - not sure why that's different?? it sounds like the rounds you were using in it might have been overpowered - this was originally a 1910 model remember - although if the stock is very very short it could indicate the mod wasn't an official one and was carried out due to some damage. there's still no photo of the complete rifle from the side and top - i think that might help

13. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

I'm not sure what rounds were used when shooting the gun. I myself have never shot it, I recieved it from my father but used to watch him shoot it when I was younger. He was very lucky and won it in a raffel for $7.50. I've been wanting to restore it to mil specs like the stock and sight. It looks to me like the bolt has or might have been bent to the postion it is in, not sure. I do know that all of the parts are stamped 33 and the reciever is 4133. I've got full pictuers uploading to the same link above of the rifle in whole.

14. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

We'll all have a look over the weekend, hopefully you'll get some answers :)

pwjr1979 likes this.
  15. pwjr1979

pwjr1979 Member

Thank you all for all the help. It means alot to me. One other thing I did find when I was inspecting the gun I found a name ingraved on the inside of the but plate. It was Jim Sunstrop if I remember right. I did loose the but plate during a move. I just thought it was intersting.

16. Martin Bull

Certainly an interesting-looking Mauser - from the photos it almost looks as if its been converted to K98k and then possibly 'sporterized' ; the front handguard is 'way too short to be military issue. Also doesn't look like a 'Russki rework'.

pwjr1979 likes this.
  17. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

from pics it's a Kar98az sporting rifle... RiflesMauser see Inventory # [SIZE=+1]mau_572 , for a customized version[/SIZE]

pwjr1979 likes this.
  18. Martin Bull

pwjr1979 likes this.
  19. Sturmpioniere

Sturmpioniere Member

Although this topic is practically finished, I'd like to mention I went to a gun show over the weekend and saw my first G98, sorta. It was an Amburg 1916 G98 with a K98k bolt and shortened barrel, it was really a neat gun to see.