Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1942 Hancock College of Aeronautics Graduation.

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by GadgetWorks, Nov 29, 2015.

1. GadgetWorks

GadgetWorks Member

How this got into my mom's house, she doesn't know. I found this in a 1940's Excel Prep P41 16MM toy projector. This was filmed in Santa Maria, Ca. around March of 1942. I'm guessing that date from the 2 patches in the film. There is the Army Service Forces Star patch that was activated March 9, 1942. Also, the AFGHQ patch (round tri-prop) was de-activated March 19, 1942. With both patches in the same film, that should be a good indicator of timeframe.

G. Allan Hancock is passing out diplomas to a graduating class. There is a Stearman bi-plane fly-by. You can read Santa Maria in the roof of the flight tower building. At the end you can see the new recruits getting off the train as the grads wait to get on.

Hancock may be better known in the Los Angeles area for Hancock Park and USC. Also there's his boyhood backyard, the La Brea Tar Pits. Santa Maria has a lot of history, a large part due to Hancock.

Posted of photobucket.
    http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/gadgetworks1/media/Hancock%20College%20of%20Aeronautics%20March%201942_zpsn12kkbaw.mp4.html?sort=2&o=0