Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2 questions about the 49th Engineers Combat Battalion?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by fredvogels, Apr 5, 2014.

1. fredvogels

fredvogels Member

This message came to Back to Normandy:

Hello all!
    I am the granddaughter of a WWII veteran and am researching his path through WWII. He was in the 49th Engineers Combat Battalion, Company A- Claude Jackson Menefee. He joined in Ft. Meyer, VA and served from 17 August 1943 through 4 January 1946.
    I was so sad when I purchased the book, Ghost Battalion (Bill Carr), and my grandfather's name wasn't in the personnel roster. I am looking for 2 things: 1) how to get ahold of Bill Carr to see if he can help me since he's done so much research on the 49th, and 2) to see if any of you might recognize my grandfather's name and be able to assist me in any way.
    I think Papaw's war buddy's name was "Lushbaugh?" If anyone could write me back I would be so grateful.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to help!
    God bless our Greatest Generation vets!
    Mary Beth

-end quote

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Fred, it would be helpful to know how she knows her grandfather served with the 49th ECB. If its from his discharge papers, it could be the unit he returned home with after the war. That is one reason he might not be on the roster.

If we assume that he did actually serve with the 49th, there are two other things that can explain his omission from the roster. First, the book she cites was written in 2009 and the author may have not had a complete roster available to him. Second, even unit histories that were published immediately after the war had omissions and errors in the rosters and even their "Roll of Honor" lists. Some unit histories didn't even contain rosters. The point of all this is to say, she should not be discouraged because his name was not listed. Disappointed, perhaps, but not discouraged.

I'll keep digging to see if I can find anything helpful. If she hasn't requested her grandfathers OMPF yet, I would recommend she do that. It will take time to get a response, so the sooner a request is submitted the better.

fredvogels likes this.
  3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I just found something that may be helpful. The author of the book she mentioned has contributed to a thread on Ancestry.com and she may be able to contact him there.

I also found a thread regarding the 49th ECB on the forum of the website 6thcorpscombatengineers.com. The thread, which was started by Walt's Daughter (also a member of this Forum), has contact info for someone who may be able to help her track down the info she needs. It's an older thread, so the info may be out of date, but it's worth a try.

I'll add one more thing that I came across that I thought worth sharing. It's from the publication The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Germany, Chapter XV - The Landings on OMAHA and UTAH. The 49th is mentioned 7 times.

fredvogels likes this.
  4. fredvogels

fredvogels Member

Great work Tom,
    I passed your information I will get back to you with her answer!
    Thanks again,

Fred