Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2007 Avalon Airshow

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by smeghead phpbb3, Mar 25, 2007.

1. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Went to Lara today and saw the Avalon Airshow... Got alot of pictures but it will take me a while to sort through the aeroplane ones... here are the tank pics, in the interim ;)

2. smeghead phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Some more...

3. smeghead phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    and more...

4. smeghead phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    and more...

5. smeghead phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    and yours truly...

6. ANZAC

ANZAC Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi smeghead!

Good pics from the show, first one i've missed and was miffed at not seeing the Abrams and PzH 155.

No doubt the tankers were impressed with the Abrams, [personal fans and all,] pity there's no AC for up North Ops.
    Do you think the Abrams was the way to go, or the Leo A6? Abrams dovetails in with American equipment I suppose.
    I read in Defense today mag that there could be a deal with the Dutch concerning the PzH 155's. The Dutch have bought an initial batch of Bushmasters and could buy a lot more, and some could be off set in a trade for some new buy PzH 155's from Germany.

Anything else new from the army or air, that hasn't been on show before?

No doubt the Super Hornet was going through it's paces, especially since the Aussie purchase.
    Carlo Copp's not to impressed with the buy, saying although it's an incremental improvement over the legacy Hornets, it doesn't compare in the strike roll with the F- 111, or match the SU 30MK, he has a bee in his bonnet about the F-111's doesn't he?
    Thinks it can still fill the gap until the arrival of the F-35's.

Defence Today says that South Korea just purchased 40 F-15K Eagles for $4b U.S. while the Aussie purchase is $3b for 24 Hornets.

F-15 would probably be the way to go at those prices.

7. smeghead phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Hi ANZAC!

Thanks for the comment, its good news that the Defence Force purchased the Super Hornets... Last I heard was that the US was still reluctant to sell... Sure, we mightn't have had as good a deal as the South Koreans, but that might have something to do with the constant threat of North Korea and US interests in the region... And SK are not recieving any F-35's are they now? :D

As for the Abrams vs Leopard 2 thing I'd trust the Defence Force to know alot more about it than me. The abrams is probably the better choice for Aussie conditions... At any rate either tank would be a significant improvement to the current crop of Leopard 1's, but it was suprising to see it in public so soon after purchase... Along with the Abrams the only new stuff I saw was a frame of the F-35, the new Tiger helicopter and the the PzH 155, (which might I add is bloody enormous)

Carlo Copp... Is he the one who thinks what Australia needs is the Su-27?
    The logic of such a purchase is at least sound... Australia can rely on better training of pilots, so why risk purchasing the untested F-35, a potential dud, when you can get exactly what our potential opponents will be flying? And beat them with the same capabilities...

The answer? Politics ;)

8. Grabbers

Grabbers New Member

via TanksinWW2
    wow the aussies went the Abrams route... Hmmmm

I had no idea. We (Canada) are trading in our Leo1's for Leo2A6s...

9. ANZAC

ANZAC Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi again smeghead.

Think I did notice an article saying the South Koreans are interested in the F-35 to eventually replace their F-16's in the future.
    The Tiger from a front on view looks a very small target doesn't it, but quite a large target from side on.
    The Abrams [at over 60 tons] and the PzH 155 [close to 60 tons] are real heavyweights thats for sure.
    Thought the Leo 2 would be more of a natural follow on to the Leo 1's like Grabbers [hi Grabbers] mentioned for the Canadians, instead of the new gas turbine power pack.

Carlo advising a Su-27 buy? Heaven forbid! :D
    He's written so many articles on why we should buy the FA-22 Raptor, that I'm beginning to think he has shares in Lockheed Martin.

Have you ever read ''Defense Today'' magazine?

I've read tons of local and overseas mags, and this one would be as good as anything I've ever read, should give it a try.

10. smeghead phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Hi ANZAC!
    Nope afraid I havent read that magazine... Truth be told this forum is where i get most of my information on the topics of death & doom but I'll be sure to look out for it...

Also I would have thought that Krauss-Wegmann (or whoever manufactures the Leo) would offer some incentive for upgrading... It wouldn't suprise me if some of the components were interchangeable, I'm not sure if buying the Leo II would be a natural flow on in any way other than by name