Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2021 Olympics

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by CAC, Jul 21, 2021.

1. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Australia plays the U.S. for bronze and Sweden plays Canada for gold on Thursday.

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oy, Oy, Oy!
    and
    Oh, Canada!

bronk7 and CAC like this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Olympic medal is always something to be proud of. I don't understand ever those athletes who take the medal off after they received it even if they are disappointed.

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Because they can be overgrown children.

bronk7 likes this.
  4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Was the women final USA-Australia? Oops. Full of tension truly.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well done USA!

Well the Australians have gone down to the Americans twice!
    Mens basketball...looked good in the begining...then the dominance of the USA put us in our places. (and i won some money too!)
    Womens soccer...our hopes dashed again...but on the same day Australia won gold in the kayak sprint and the skate boarding - Won by an 18 year old born in the US and still has a good American accent, so you can claim him too...We lost the mens hockey last night to the Belgians in an exciting penalty shoot out...so the build up to the team sports have been an anti climax...but we still medal, a silver or bronze.
    The womens beach vollyball is still a chance for Australia...Always worth a look.

And the Americans take the gold over the Aussies in beach volley ball....bloody Yanks! : )

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Cheers mate!

Do not forget that every medal is worth being happy

6 months and its winter Olympics. Not that I expect many medals for Finlañd.

CAC likes this.
  9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Winter Olympics is fun to watch...We could have a side bet KPH...Finland vs Australia...

10. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

For some reason, the only events I care to watch are the speed skating events. I stopped watching pairs figure skating when the USSR died.

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The speed skating has a special place in Australia's heart...Remember Steve Bradbury? (coined the phrase in Australia "Doing a Steve Bradbury") Today represents someone who doesn't have a chance but turns up anyway and gives it their best...And give yourself a chance at winning by being there...

"Doing a Steve Bradbury"

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

What a lucky break for Canada. The Swedish veteran could have ended the game but shot in penalties a " Sputnik ". That would have won gold. The next Canadian did not miss. That is football.

13. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...I am not impressed with Americans too much when the Americans win...our population is many times the other countries ..also, for women's sports, I thought a lot of countries did not let their women participate as much, for sometime ago--especially the Arab countries ......also, the US had/has ''better'' training facilities/terrain/etc --and or more of it for more people to train.......???....
    ..and height/weight by country is different--and/or the US has an advantage with more people being bigger/etc - for certain events .....key word being ''more''
    .....but we see the US doing better than China in the medal count ...--however, the US does worse against many countries in certain sports...especially in soccer, against much smaller nations in population

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The elephant in the room too is the domination of the African Americans…where would the US be if they did not have a slave policy back in the day? Sorry I don’t mean for that to be knarky, just an observation. I think the Americans have inspired many around the world showing what is possible in a range of sports. They create a bar for others to reach and try to lift. I think this was truly the friendly games, and I hope we keep going down this road of competition over results.

15. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..good call on the India aspect...why is that? ...yes, I don't see much from them.....maybe they did not have a wide range of sports--with a ''lot'' of people involved in them? and/or a ''lot'' were not getting the food/time/etc needed for sports to be as ''important'' as it is in other countries?

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Not sure about the Indians…certainly training facilities, overseas coaches (like Australians) are not catered for as in other countries…the majority of Indians are too busy making a living for serious training…they are also very cricket (and Hockey) centric, so there aren’t as many participants as you would might expect in other sports. Plus something Australia becomes aware of every Olympics is that there are countries which don’t put as much store or care factor about sports as we do…some can’t afford to, and some just don’t have it ingrained into their culture.

bronk7 likes this.
  17. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..I thought I read one time that some foreigners come to the US for training

ColHessler likes this.
  18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I’m sure many do…

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Not just training. We Finns have some 30-40 players in the NHL of which some 8 are goalies. If you consider we have the same amount in KHL ( Russia) and our own league is having its goalies It s amazing. I know the NHL is like the 8th watched sports in the US but players can get up to 50-60$ million for about 4 years. And the arenas are sold full for the whole season.

bronk7 likes this.
  20. Takao

Takao Ace

60 in 2021.

Kai-Petri likes this.