Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

208th Coast Artillery

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by RBLewisIII, May 30, 2018.

1. RBLewisIII

RBLewisIII New Member

Looking for any information on my Father's specific locations while serving in the 208th,1rst Bn, Battery B. I have a general history of the unit. They were initially deployed to the Townsville area and I believe his unit was placed on the south side of the mouth of the Ross river. They later deployed to Port Moresby but I am not sure where the specific guns were placed. Some of the unit, maybe all, were later sent to Dobodura. I have a general description of the fields there but not of the specific gun placements. I am hoping to find some of the old maps showing the gun placements. Also, if anyone has any specific information on Battery B I would be most grateful. As the unit was initially a federalized National Guard Unit from West Hartford CT I have also contacted the CT NG for any archival support that may be available. Thanks in advance for any information or direction to where I may find some.

2. lwd

lwd Ace

You might try looking around this groups site:
    home

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  3. RBLewisIII

RBLewisIII New Member

Thanks for that steer!

4. Richard Coleman

Richard Coleman New Member

My father was LT Irving M Coleman. He was in the 110th Cav Regiment, CT NG. He went into the 208th, 2nd Bn, I believe. He was in Townsville, and Port Moresby. Did you get much info from this query, or subsequently? The 208th is an elusive unit.

5. Richard Coleman

Richard Coleman New Member

I replied earlier but with better information I now know that my father. CPT Irving M Coleman was CO of 1st Bn Battery B from US departure until June 1943 by which time they were redesignated 745th BN. I'd love to discuss this with you 703-615-4482 or richard.lewis.coleman@gmail.com