Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

20th Combat Mapping Squadron

Discussion in 'Air War in the Pacific' started by JeffinMNUSA, Mar 6, 2010.

1. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Hi all;
    I have been fiddling around with Photoshop and my late in laws WWII photos and have posted some of these experiments here,
    http://news.webshots.com/album/574400811reBNzp

In a related site Chuck Varney has done some great work recounting the history of Louis' Squadron here;
    20th Combat Mapping Squadron

I am still hunting through the bins for the combat photos Louis brought home with him. They were taken at 30,000 foot.

When this is all done I am going to mail these to the following archives;

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
    Caveats: NONE

We'd be happy to assist with your project.

As aside point , I suggest you start doing digital scans of the images. Photos deteriorate with age and such accelerates as they get older. Scanning the images will provide for more permanent retention. Once you have reached a point of having accomplished such you will need to consider finding a permanent archival repository to be a home for the original collection. A facility that offers proper retention and storage facilities is a must. A dark corner of the local historical society without HVAC , etc isn't recommended. If your relative was an alumni of a particular college/university the school maybe interested in such. I will take the opportunity to offer that the US Army Military History Institute is the premier location for the retention of such collections and for the availability of such resources to be made available on-site for serious research.

Please visit our website at http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm for a better insight into our mission and goals at the AHEC. Thank you for wanting to preserve the wonderful history you've encountered.

RichB

Richard L. Baker, MA (MSgt, USAF ret.)
    Rich.Baker@US.Army.mil
    Chief, Research Center Branch
    Army Heritage and Education Center
    U.S. Army Military History Institute (PSD)
    950 Soldiers Drive
    Carlisle, PA 17013

JeffinMNUSA

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Hi Jeff,
    I just posted in your other thread relating to the photos. I actually identified one of the pictures (but not the date):confused: The link I found also has a lot of relevant info on B-24's and includes the 20th Combat Mapping Squadron. I think what you're doing is great, keep us posted.

3. JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA Member

Hi Chuck;
    I am hoping some more photos turn up when we get to the attic. My wife-Louis Daughter-is pretty sure there are more aerial mappings somewhere.
    JeffinMNUSA
    PS. Thank you for doing the formal research on the subject of the 20th Combat Mapping Squadron.

4. stoppin by

stoppin by recruit

[HR][/HR]Hi all, I have a thick pile of photographs and some basic documentation of this squadron. Some photo's are dated from their time in Colorado, some from 1942 and a lot of 1944 aerial photo's... Some of the better (about a dozen) 8 by 10 size photo's show the crews, planes etc.. Some are identified, some nice shots of the liberators, various camp life and airfield stuff. Nice Nose art on the "Keee RI" B-24. Anyway this stuff is for sale. I contacted Chuck but he passed. Please feel free to email if you have an interest. I am an ameture historian myself and I regularly pay for old photo's when I am lucky enough to find them. Selling these helps me pay for my interest. There are about 50 photo's in all and about 60 items in the bundle. Thanks
    Randy

Attached Files: