Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

211th Field Artillery Battalion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Bwhitney0405, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Bwhitney0405

Bwhitney0405 New Member

Hello! My grandfather was a member of this unit and I am trying to find more information about it! I haven’t been able to find much but was hoping to learn a bit more-I am a social studies teacher and would love to be able to know more about his experience. I do have a unique find-when going through my grandmother’s items, we found a map that was created by a fellow serviceman who recorded their approximate history. They arrived on Normandy in Sept. of 1944 and proceeded through France, Belgium, and Holland and entered Germany in late November of 1944.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. Ernie Atwater

Ernie Atwater New Member

My father was in the 26th YD from Massachusetts assigned to the 211th F A and I have a map like that drawn by 1st Lt Howard Johnson Jr. would you like to compare notes?

3. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

4. Ernie Atwater

Ernie Atwater New Member

The map I have shows the 26th Yankee Division, my father was in assigned to the 211th field artillery, and possibly drove for the Red Ball Express, came from Omaha Beach Sept. 15 1944 to the Mausbach River, Dec. 31 1944. the Mausbach river, to Sontheim Germany on June 6-8,1945 My father did say that there were units that came up from the south through Italy and also ones from the north west through Holland. These 2 maps show their route and activity a week or so apart. I know it is a long shot but I had to try. I went through some of the town my father did and never knew it.

5. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

6. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Would you like to give us your grandfather’s name, so we can see what else we can find?