Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

214th AAA Bn

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by kerrd5, May 25, 2010.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

According to General Orders 7, HQ, 214th AAA Bn, dated 7 May 1945, T/5 Charles J. Alongi, ASN 36526247, was awarded the Good Conduct Medal (Image 1311, 26 June 2009).

Dave

Attached Files:

2. Pat Alongi

Pat Alongi New Member

Dave,
    Thank you so much for the documentation on my father, you made his day! Do you have any documentation on patches/badges that the 214th had? What about the commanding officer, missions, troop movement, and so on. I have picture of my dad and his jeep and the license plate has 214th AAA 7A and I can make out HQ and stars. I am trying to figure out what he was doing and where he was. Any information from anyone that might know anything would be awesome! Thanks again.

3. thunderbird45

thunderbird45 New Member

• Hi Dave, my name is Kevin, my dad is a 45th inf. vet ww2, 180th reg. f. co. or co. headquarters, as the rest he never talked about his past, my family knows next to nothing, as did I until a year ago,i started reading up on him, ive done pretty well considering, I didn't know what a division was till a year ago, ive been following your posts here and there and hoping you could help. Sgt. Walter Bardsley ser # 31304861 he landed at Anzio/nettuno jan. 44 to so. france, vouges, Rhineland, asschaffenburg,Nuremburg, dachau, munich. he received many medals w/ purple heart at Anzio in march of 44 along w/ four battle stars and bronze arrowhead, one gold star I don't understand its meaning. he captured 23 germans w/ a lt. Mitchell and a Sgt. Jackson I believe in france I have a news paper clipping of the capture in which he sprayed machinegun fire in protection of his two comrads,. he served along w/ 7 other brothers who all returned home after the war, only one remains he was in the 78th lightning div he is 93. im not aware of any other family who had 8 members serve at the same time, nevermind all return home, he holds the only purple heart, they all told him to pursue a bronze star awarded to him in which he never received i would like to claim that eventually he was my dad and he earned that. i was wondering if you would be interested in sending me after action reports from jan. 1st. 44 through to the capture of munich it would be of great value to me in my research of him,this would be a great start in the many unanswered questions,much thanks to you please reply,. my email is: thunderbird45@hotmail.com thank you so much

4. KochKid

KochKid New Member

Hi Dave, I don't know if you (or anyone) is still monitoring this but I believe that my grandfather Theodore Koch was part of the 214th AAA Gun Battery D. I am now living in Europe and would very much like to visit some of the towns and cities that he was in during his 3 year tour. I know that he was in Northern Africa, Italy, Sicily, Corsica, France, and Germany. I was hoping to find out some more specific information on where in these area's he was. Unfortunately, my family has been told that many of the records were lost in a fire over 30 years ago. I would be greatly appreciative of any information that people have to share.

Sincerely
    Tim

5. JG214

JG214 New Member

My grandfather, Carl Metzgar, served in the 214th. I just spent his birthday with his best army buddy, Emil "Tim" Dulovich, who shares my grandfather's birthday. Tim is the last of the battalion, I believe. He is 95 and doing well! I would love copies of any written records anyone has for the 214th to share with Tim! I have lots of pictures that my grandpap took throughout Sicily, Corsica and France which I would share in exchange.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Dave has not posted in a while. I sent him an email to see if he can help you.

7. TomSc

TomSc New Member

My wife's grandfather was Willard Skoglund who served in the 214th AAA. Do you have any information on his service in your material?

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Dave hasn't been around in quite a while. I have found a cemetery record in Minnesota. Is that him?
    You can look here for details on AAA units. I suspect the 214th is here. Antiaircraft artillery activities in the Pacific war. :: World War II Operational Documents

Found this. Maybe it helps a bit.

A tentative review of the outline of the history of the 214th Coast Artillery Regiment, as extracted from Shelby Stanton and Sawicki's books on Army battalions and regiments

214th Coast Artillery Regiment (Antiaircraft) (Semimobile) Georgia National Guard

1 Oct 1939 1st Battalion constituted and allotted to Georgia National Guard
    20 Oct 1939 1st Battalion federally recognized
    29 Oct 1939 2nd Battalion formed by redesignation of 3rd Battalion, 122nd Infantry
    - Georgia National Guard
    25 Nov 1940 regiment inducted into federal service at Washington, Georgia
    3 Dec 1940 moved to Camp Stewart, Georgia
    25 Sep 1941 transferred to Fort Jackson, South Carolina
    1 Dec 1941 returned to Camp Stewart
    11 May 1942 arrived San Francisco, California
    27 May 1942 3rd Battalion constituted
    26 Jun 1942 3rd Battalion activated
    21 Sep 1942 staged at Camp Stoneman, California
    24 Sep 1942 departed San Francisco Port of Entry
    6 Oct 1942 arrived New Zealand
    27 Nov 1942 arrived New Caledonia
    30 Jan 1943 landed Guadalcanal with responsibility of Henderson Field defense
    11 Nov 1943 Headquarters and Headquarters Battery redesignated HHB, 214th AAA Group
    1st Battalion redesignated 528th AAA Gun Battalion (Semimobile)
    2nd Battalion redesignated 950th AAA Automatic Weapons Battalion (Semimobile)
    3rd Battalion redesignated 250th AAA Searchlight Battalion

You might look at the whole thread. Pacific War 1941-1945: What do you know about the 214th CA (AA) on Guadalcanal?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  9. TomSc

TomSc New Member

Hi Lou, Thanks for the information. Willard Skoglund is buried at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minnesota.

Unfortunately, there were two AAA units in WW2 that referenced 214. The 214th AAA group was in the Pacific. My wife's grandfather served in the 214th AAA Gun Bn in the ETO. There is reference to a unit history in other documents I've found but I can't find any information on his unit. I've learned the AAA units were rather transient and didn't also were split up during the war so that doesn't help my research. They sailed from Staten Island to Oran Algeria in May 1943 then to Sicily, Rome, So France, Rhineland, and E Europe.

Tom

Todd Strickler likes this.
  10. LRusso216

Sorry Tom. I'll look around some more.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole New Member

Good Evening Dave,
    Tim Cole here helping the family of Sgt Homer R. Minty, Battery B, 214th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion (EAME) find his military history and records.
    Per WD AGO 53-55 (aka DD214) Sgt Minty was awarded a Purple Heart via G.O. 33 WD 45... can you provide a copy of said G.O.? Anything else you may have on Sgt Minty? Thanks for your efforts to support! V/R, One Team! TC

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole New Member

Good Evening Dave,
    how can I get a copy of Journals and Unit Histories for Battery B, 214th AAA Gun Bn? Help if you can - Thanks Dave!
    Tim

13. Todd Strickler

Todd Strickler New Member

Dave,
    My father, Ralph Wood Strickler, served with the 214th AAA in Germany. I have a map of the 214th position from March 26-28 1945. If you have any information about him I would greatly getting it.
    Thanks,
    Todd Strickler

14. JG214

JG214 New Member

Yes, I still speak with Emil "Tim" Dulovich, age 97 (2018) who shared a sad story about Skoglund and himself. They were in the front lines in France in a forest when they heard that the 101st Airborne were only 2 miles away, so they asked the captain to get someone to drive them over in a weapons carrier because both of their brothers served in the 101st. Tim asked for Marty Dulovich, his brother. Then Skoglund asked for his brother and the man looked at the list and told Skoglund that his brother was dead. They cried together that night.

15. JG214

JG214 New Member

16. JG214

JG214 New Member

Dear Todd Strickler,
    I scanned through all of my grandpap's pictures for your dad's name, but didn't find his name written. Still, I have several pictures from all of their stateside training and from Europe, including Germany. One picture is of the whole battalion. Perhaps, you could pick him out. I'd be happy to send a copy if you provide an address or email. Likewise, if you have anything about my grandfather, Carl P. Metzgar or his still living friend, Emil "Tim" Dulovich, I would love to have it. jacandfred@msn.com

17. JG214

JG214 New Member

18. JG214

JG214 New Member

I tried to upload the picture I have of the whole 214AAA Battery C Gun Battalion, but it wouldn't work as a jpg. Ideas anyone?

19. JG214

JG214 New Member

Dear Dave,
    I would like a copy of the 214th AAA Battery C Gun Battalion's unit histories and battalion journals. I would be happy to pay for them.
    JG214

20. LRusso216

Try a picture resizer to make it below 500kb. I use this one http://www.picresize.com/