Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

214th AAA Bn

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by kerrd5, May 25, 2010.

1. TomSc

TomSc New Member

Did Emil provide any more information on this? I'm assuming this was very late December 1944 or early January 1945. Willard Skoglund's brother Donald was KIA on 12/21/1944 outside of Bastogne. Also, I've heard many AAA units were made into infantry after the Luftwaffe was nearly eliminated. Was their unit transitioned to infantry? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. IamB

IamB New Member

Greetings.

On this, the 76th anniversary of the liberation of Dachau by the Seventh Army's 45th Infantry Division, I'm trying to see if I can verify whether my father's unit was part of that division. My search leads me here. This screenshot is from his discharge papers, citing BTRY D 214 AAA, which seems to have been an Ammunitions unit (via AMM N CO 505).

Any help would be appreciated.

upload_2021-4-29_15-26-8.png

3. IamB

IamB New Member

4. IamB

IamB New Member

Is that battalion picture something you can send via email?

5. JG214

JG214 New Member

I'm sorry that I did not see this post sooner. I came on this forum tonight to post that Tim Dulovich passed away today 8/12/21 at 100 years of age. He was sharp-minded to the end, an amazing man. I'm sorry that I don't know if they became infantry. I know they guarded Nazi soldiers (I have patches torn from their sleeves) and have heard their stories.

6. JG214

JG214 New Member

Yes, please provide email. Sorry that I didn't see this message sooner.

The photo I have is the entire 214th AAA Gun Battalion Battery C (not D).

7. TomSc

TomSc New Member

please send me a copy as well

email is thomas.schwartzatgmail.com

8. Amy LaBrasca

Amy LaBrasca New Member

Hi! I'm trying to find some info on my Grandfathers movement through WW2. I'm going on a trip to France next year and I'm hoping to visit some places that he was. His name was Adam Kokoska from Sykesville, PA and I see from his burial certificate he was in the 214th AAA Gun Battalion, Tech 5. Dates of service 6/42-10/45. He told me many stories about his time there and as I read through these posts, things are lining up. I'm pretty confident he trained in Texas bc he used to talk about seeing armadillos and road runners there. I know he went to North Africa and Corsica. One of his favorite stories was about landing on Corsica in the middle of the night, pitching his tent in the dark and upon waking up, discovering that he was sleeping on what he called Napoleon's Grave. I've since checked and while Napoleon's not buried there, he does have a monument on Corsica which I assume made him think that it was his grave. He also talked about spending the winter in Alsace-Lorraine in the freezing cold with just a wool blanket for warmth. Also about giving his meals to the hungry children that would run up to them and eating candy bars instead. And he always ate soup with his big German spoon that he took from a dead soldier. I never realized he was Anti-aircraft until I started this research. He never talked about shooting at planes. He would only ever say that he shot into the woods. I see from one of the other posts that they switched to infantry bc of the downfall of the Luftwaffe so that makes sense. At the time he was telling me these stories, I was a teen and I didn't realize the importance of getting better details or even recording them. He had a stroke in '95 which took his speech and that was the end of his wonderful stories. But thankfully, I have good memories of the ones he told the most. I would love any more details on his his specific battery and maybe even some pics. I want to share as much as I can about his legacy with my children, his great grandchildren. He truly was an amazing man, the greatest I've ever known! Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Biak likes this.
  9. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Amy, the places he mentioned correspond with the movements of the 214th.
    However, I did not find his name in the General Orders I have. Sorry.

214th AAA Bn, WW II | Facebook

Dave

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  10. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Welcome to the forum Amy and don't give up looking. Persistence is the key.
    Add anything you can and you might start a thread asking for information here;

Information Requests

Or here;

Western Europe 1943 - 1945

11. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

12. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

13. OpanaPointer

Okay, I'll go to my room. :oops:

14. Renegade6

Renegade6 New Member

Hello,

Is anyone still active in this thread? I am looking for information on the 214th AAA Gun BN's history in the ETO. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Regards,

-Renegade6

15. OpanaPointer

16. Renegade6

Renegade6 New Member

17. Renegade6

Renegade6 New Member

Do you have this picture still?