Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2nd Armored Division

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Buten42, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Deelite, you have quite a treasure there with the letters. I am willing to bet that he said all he could to your grandmother about his experience without running afoul of the censors.

The AAR probably will not refer to the camp by any descriptive terms such as "concentration", "death" etc. Also, most of the main camps had satellite camps and it is not uncommon for soldiers to understand that had liberated "A" camp when it was actually "A-1" camp. Regardless, it was still a numbing experience for the men involved.

You probably will have to obtain a listing of all camps and their satellite camps and then go piece by piece through the AAR, using a period map, to find the location.

You might alos consider tracing the path of the 19th Corp, since the 2nd AD was under that command's control during the fight across Germany.

I would like a copy of the 2nd AD AAR, if you are offering.

If he was B Company, then he would have been in the 1st Battalion.

Deelite likes this.
  2. Deelite

Deelite New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I do plan to go through the AAR along with the theater maps he has, as well as a list of camps. Do you recommend a site that has listings of camps and satellite camps also? Its quite a task due to the fact that most of the pages are hard to read. Is there a way to private message on this forum and you can give me your email?

Also, is the 19th corp infantry?

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. LRusso216

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A Corps is several divisions of any kind under one command. The makeup of a Corps was pretty fluid and divisions would switch from corps to corps. A corps commander would generally pair up an Infantry and Armored Division for most tasks. They would try to pair the same infantry and armored divisions over and over because the leadership grew to know each other and kept confusion to a minimum. The 2nd Armored and 30th Infantry were paired under the XIX Corps for much of the war.

Deelite likes this.
  6. Deelite

Deelite New Member

7. LRusso216

Works OK if you log-in to ScribD. Since I am a member, it looks good. Membership to read is free.

8. Nordwind511

Nordwind511 Member

Hello Dee-
    if you have the date, when he wrote about the liberation of a concentrationcamp - and if we could locate the region where the 2nd Armored divsion at this period of time, we will probably find out which camp he was talking about in is letter. I would try to help you to find out ...

Regards
    Michael

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

10. Triple C

Triple C Ace

You might also try General Ernest Harmon's autobiography Combat Commander. He was one of the division commanders of the 2d Armored Division before being promoted to lead a Corps.

11. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Dee, I have the 67th Armed Regiment History that gives a separate account for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalion. I'll read that section and see if they wrote anything on liberating a camp. I've gone through the 1st Bn section several times and it didn't mention any camps that they liberated--the 1st and 2nd fought close throughout Europe but I'll check.
    "B" Company was the light tank company for the 2nd Battalion. My brother was in "A" Company which was the light tank company for the 1st Bn.
    Would you have a picture of your grandfather? I have a dandy picture of a "B" Company tank with three of the four guys with their heads out--one just might be your grandfather. I'll see if I can figure out where I got it and post it for you. Dave

Dee, think it's the 5th picture down on this link. http://www.327engineer.com/JoeKarr/Karr102nd.htm

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  12. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's a great website, Dave. Their Documents page has a lot of useful info: GOs, AARs, some Morning Reports, etc. Thanks for sharing it.

13. 67AR

67AR New Member

Hello. I'm also very interested in the 2nd AD during WWII.
    I'm currently looking for a roster of the service company 66th AR and for the names of the 2nd AD soldiers who were awarded the soldier's medal.

14. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Welcome to the Forum, your avatar caught my eye---the crest of the 67th AR. My brother was in that Regiment.
    The 67th has a wonderful history with a roster at the back with names, companies and awards received, but for some reason the 66th didn't write one. There is a book, "The Iron Knights" by Gordon A. Blaker on the 66th but no roster or awards listed. A 2nd Armored history I have shows there were 189 Solders Medals awarded, but not the guys that received them. Wish I could be more help.
    Was one of your relatives in the 67th?
    Dave

15. Buten42

Buten42 Member

16. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

17. Gofurs22

Gofurs22 New Member

All,

I very recently was provided a picture of my Great Uncle who was a member of the 67th Armored Regiment (unknown Battalion) Fox Co. Tank Commander of Tank 14(I'm led to believe). He passed late last year and I tried to help my Aunt retrive his military records from the nat'l archives in Fedruary, but was notified that they were lost in the St Louis archives fire in the 70's. I asked him once if he wanted me to write his story down for him, but he said no and we never spoke of it again. I'm trying to figure out the time frame of when he was assigned to the 67th, but haven't been able to find anything. All I have of him is a picture in front of a tank with the markings for the unit. I tried to attach it, but I couldn't figure out how. Buten42 said he had a history of the 67th and somebody else mentioned an AAR that may shed some light on things for me. I was told of another site that had a bunch of AARs digitized and you could search for specific names if an individual was mentioned for some kind of action. Does anyone know if that exisits?

18. Natman

Natman Member

Welcome to the forum, Gofurs22. Use the bibliography info in this link: http://www.worldcat.org/title/history-67th-armored-regiment/oclc/3468610&referer=brief_results
    or print the page, and take it to your local library. They will find the same listing of libraries where the book is available and can have a copy sent for you to check out. It looks to me like the book was printed in Germany shortly after the war ended, in which case you should be able to scan it since the taxpayers originally paid for it. Make sure you won't damage the book in the process.

Here's a link to the 67th's AAR's: http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/
    Type "67th Armored Regiment" in the search box and they will come up, probably the first one on the list. Download the file and you're good to go. The AAR's are, of course, written on the regimental level and it's likely the only names will be the unit commanders at the end of each separate report.

Good luck!!

19. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Gofurs, If you give me his name I'll check the roster and see what battalion he was in. Fox Company was a Sherman company with the 2nd Battalion.
    The book takes each battalion and follows it through the war so it is pretty detailed. I'll read through it and see if your G-uncles name comes up.

The AAR's are what the various history writers (each section was written by a different person--easy to spot because of style and where each placed their importance) used to compile each battalion history. I'll help all I can.

Dave

20. Gailrule

Gailrule New Member

Hello everyone, so glad there are others interested in the 2nd. My dad was 67th regiment, B Co. M24 Chaffee. Gunner and later, driver. He was one of the many replacements needed after the battle of the Bulge. He went to Berlin. I have many photos, don't know how he got them, but he's in the pictures in uniform. Photos of Berlin, Stalins posters, even photos of a couple of GI on the tail of a JU88. I have his 67th regiment book. Absolutely fabulous. With the roster, I found a friend of dad's in the war outside of Boston and we have had many conversations.
    Dad spoke to me about liberation of camps. His friend told me that the weren't in the "death" camps, but in the prisoner of war camps. I too, would like to find out where he may have been.
    Also, I found another copy of the regiment book, and when it came, there was a typed letter dated 1944. It was an article written by Pinkney ( war correspondent) about the Second. What a tribute! Would be happy to type it, if anyone is interested.

Deelite likes this.