Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

30th Infantry Division, Old Hickory

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Ruud, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Hi Kodiak, I made a request for the English copy of Rudd's document, but if Rudd's post is the entirety of the AAR then by all means, ignore the request. Thanks, Rudd & Kodiak, it's an interesting piece of reading and must have been quite the project for your spare time. S.L.A. Marshal wrote to General Hobbs that he considered the 30th ID the best American infantry division in ETO. In addition to Mortain and Ambleve, the 30th Div also fought a fierce seesaw battle with the 1st SS PzD in Stoumont. In spite of faulty tactical leadership by the regimental commander and the inability of their M4 tanks to operate on the terrain, the 30th took the SS-held sanitorium multiple times, only to be blasted out of the building by a Tiger tank firing through the windows with its main gun. It was a good piece of fighting.

2. Ruud

Ruud Member

Wel Euge78, i am very glad you found this little part of your grandfathers history !! Man, what a coincidence !! :salute:
    I am sure the girls of Maastricht were very pleased to see such a goodlooking GI after 4 years of german occupation.
    Do you have more information about his unit etc ?

(oh and sorry about some errors in some parts of texts i translated)

Oh, i saw the regiment on the letter of Hette to your grandfather. Okay.
    Would love to see the pics of him and Hette.

3. Ruud

Ruud Member

@Triple C: what AAR are you refering to? the Old Hickory or the Germans ?

4. euge78

euge78 New Member

Ruud, I've been in a ww2 internet wormhole since finding this page. My grandfather was drafted when he was 37, he was married and my mother had just been born in '43. I was able to go that website you posted in another thread written in Dutch that had Hette's diary, and Google Translate cleaned the translation up quite a bit. Appears Hette was only 21 when he was writing the war diary and I'm guessing he joined the military later on. I don't understand Hette's military unit as it says Canadian but working that out through research. Seems as if some of the men from Holland may have gone to the U.S. and Canada for military training? My mother is ripping her house apart right now trying to find some old letters, photos and information about his unit so I will share once I get it. She saves everything so should have something more to add. She just knows that Hette and my grandfather were friends, that Hette was a great artist and writer... and that my grandfather knew his family. She didn't know about this diary you found.

5. Ruud

Ruud Member

I am exited to see those pics, Euge78.

Hette wrote on 27th january 1945 that the next day on 28th he finally could join the unit he volunteerd as "OWV " thats an abreviation of "Oorlogsvrijwiligers" , Volunteers.
    At 6th december already 1925 Limburgers volunteerd to join allied forces. His story is also an interesting read because he describes the situation at the front as how he hears or reads about these developments:
    I.e saturday 23th december he writes:

"Huge amounts of troops in the city (Maastricht) . From all sides Allied troops rush to the front in Belgium and Luxembourg. Tank Battle of St. Vith "

I think Hette joined the "Stoottroepen" you might call it Commando's
    The 1st Regiment Stoottroepen Founded in Harskamp on July 15, 1945 . It consisted mainly of "OVW" which came from the former Limburg Regiment of the National Armed Forces . This regiment had been active since the end of 1944 and had as part of the 9th US Army participated in the invasion of Germany. The task was security, surveillance and police . Besides cleaning up pockets of resistance . After Germany, the Regiment was deployed in Belgium and France. June 1945 1st Regiment Stoottroepen was added to Command Brabant and formed into a regiment. The War Regiment Stoottroepen consisted of 1 and 3 (7) Regiment Stoottroepen . On 27 September 1945, the regiment was transferred to Wokingham in England to receive further training and equipment to prepare for for overseas service in Dutch East Indies . On 12 October 1945 the regiment boarded the "Alcantara" went to the Dutch East Indies.

6. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Hi Rudd,

I was referring to the German AARs of their encounter with 30th ID.

7. Ruud

Ruud Member

Triple, i am stil translating, it's about 106 pages.... :)

8. rapmaster

rapmaster New Member

Gentleman, do you know about "Heroes of Old Hickory" documentary?

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The last I heard "Heroes of Old Hickory" was stalled for lack of funds.

10. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Thanks to you and Kodiak both!

11. Ruud

Ruud Member

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

That's a damned shame!

13. Ruud

Ruud Member

Thats a shame indeed.

14. Ruud

Ruud Member

15. euge78

euge78 New Member

She found a couple of paintings from Hette given to my grandfather. She has his unit 'year book' so that will be the next thing I get but it will be a little while.

Attached Files:

Slipdigit likes this.
  16. Ruud

Ruud Member

A real artist ! Nice pics, Euge.

17. Ruud

Ruud Member

@Rapmaster: whats the status of your book ? Anything we can read inhere ?

18. euge78

euge78 New Member

Hette de Jong and his wife Annie. Next pictures will be of my grandfather's unit. 30th, 117th, 2nd battalion Company E (few days from now).

Attached Files:

Ruud likes this.
  19. Ruud

Ruud Member

continued AAR :
    2.30 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia 353.I.D.:
    Unterrichtung über Grenzänderung und Feindlage.
    1a to 1a 353 Inf. Div.
    Informs about changes in lines and position of enemy
    12.35 Uhr:
    Ia – Major Lenze ( Ia bei Oberst Fiebig):
    Unterrichtung über Grenzänderung und Feindlage.
    Informs about changes in lines and position of enemy
    13.25 Uhr:
    Pz.Brig.105 meldet:
    09.45 Uhr feindl. Marschkolonne auf Straße Löwen – Winghe Richtung NO. 11.30 Uhr 2 Panzerspähwagen bei Binkem, 10.30 Uhr Feind bei Bautersem. In Jodoigne 3 feindl. Panzerspähwagen von Pz.A.A.116 vernichtet.
    13.25 : Panzer Brig 105 reports :
    09:45 enemy units on roads Leuven-Winghe heading N.E.
    11:30 Two armoredcars at Binkm
    10:30 Enemy at Bautersem. In Jodoigne the Panzer abwehr destroyed 3 enemy armored cars,
    13.40 Uhr:
    Ia – Oberst Assmann:
    Lageorientierung.
    13.45 Uhr:
    K.G. – Major Volcker, Kdr.Pz.Brig.105:
    In erster Linie Feind im Norden im Auge behalten und gegebenenfalls mit allen Verfügbaren Mitteln einen kurzen, schnellen Flankenstoß führen.
    13.40 1a to Oberst Assmann: Situation report
    13:45 KG to Major Volcker, Commander Panzer Brigade 105: At the first lines keep an eye on enemy in North and when possible make a short quick attack on flanks with all available forces.
    13.55 Uhr:
    K.G. – O.B.:
    Aussprache über Lage.
    O.B. befiehlt Angriff der Pz.Brigade 105 mit begrenztem Ziel nach Norden in die Flanke des von Diest vorstoßenden Feindes.
    13:55: KG tp OB:
    Situation report
    OB orders Pz Brigade 105 to move to north to attack flank of enemy advancing to Diest
    14.05 Uhr:
    K.G. – Kdr. Pz.Brigade 105:
    Feind im Vorgehen von Löwen auf Diest.
    Auftrag für Pz.Brigade 105, in kurzem, schnellem Zupacken einen Flankenstoß nach Norden führen unter Belassung von Sicherungen nach Süden. Danach wieder im Raum Tirlemont zu neuer Verwendung sammeln.
    1405 KG to Pz Br 105
    enemy advancing from Leuven to Diest. Order for Pz Brg 105 to make a quick attack at northern flank and hold some units in south to secure. After this redeploy in zone Terlemont for next action.

14.10 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia Kampfgruppe Viebig:
    Auftrag für Kampfgruppe, Tirlemont halten.
    Unterrichtung über Einsatz Pz.Brigade 105.
    1410 1a to 1a Kampfgruppe Viebig: Order for Kampfgruppe : Hold Tirlemont
    Statusreport about deployment of Pz Brg 105
    15.00 Uhr:
    Ia – Chef LXXIV.A.K.:
    Orientierung über Einsatz Pz.Brig.105 in nördlicher Richtung.
    Statusreport about deployment of Pz Brg 105 to north

17.05 Uhr:
    Ia – Id AOK 7:
    Für Pz.Brig.105 stehen im Raum Aachen 11 Stu.Gesch. mit unausgebildeten Besatzungen und 35 Lkw. ohne Fahrer bereit.
    1705 1a to 1d AOK7:
    In sector Aachen 11 Sturmgeschutze with untrained crews and 35 trucks without drivers are available for Pz Brg 105

17.40 Uhr:
    Chef – Oberst v.Gersdorf:

Lageorientierung. H.Gruppe befiehlt, daß Löwen wieder genommen wird. K.G. schaltet sich ein und weist darauf hin, daß Angriff auf Löwen einem Stich ins Wespennest gleichkommen wird. und daß durch diesen Angriff die letzten verfügbaren Kräfte des Gen.Kdos. gebunden werden. Pz.Brigade ist für einen Angriff auf eine Stadt nicht geeignet. Oberst von Gersdorf will noch einmal mit Heeresgruppe sprechen und dann Befehl geben.
    17.40 Uhr:
    Chef – Oberst v.Gersdorf: Statusreport: Heeresgruppe gives order to retake Leuven. KG interferes and utters that an attack at Leuven is like going into a hornets nest and that with this attack all of the last remaining units of the Gen. Kommando will be tied into battle. Pz.brg is not suited for an attack on a city. Oberst von Gersdorf wants to discuss this again with Heeresgruppe before giving an order.

17.50 Uhr:
    Ia – Oberts Fiebig:
    Lageorientierung. Es kommt darauf an, Verbindung mit linkem Nachbarn in Jodoigne aufzunehmen.
    17.50 Uhr:
    Ia to Oberts Fiebig:
    Statusreport: it is neccesssary to make contact with units on left in Jodoigne

K.T.B. LXXXI.A.K. 7 September 1944
    14.30 Uhr:
    Ia – Kampfkdt. Lüttich:
    13.40 Uhr ein Sherman auf Straße von Brüssel in Lüttich eingedrungen. Sturmgeschütze dagegen
    eingesetzt. Nach unbestätigter Meldung aus SW weiterer Feind im Westeil von Lüttich. Sprengung der Brücken soweit vorbereitet.
    Überflüssige Brücken werden bereits jetzt gesprengt.
    General Bock v.Wülfingen hofft, daß alles klappen wird und weist auf Schwierigkeiten hin, die dadurch entstehen, daß elektr. Zündmittel nicht zur Verfügung stehen.
    General Bock von Wülfingen meldet, daß anscheinend durch Terroristen etwa 20 Schleppkähne auf dem Westufer zusammengezogen worden sind, dabei einige leichte Schlepper, die unter Dampf liegen. Er erhält den Befehl, unverzüglich für Versenkung der Kähne zu sorgen.
    14.30 Uhr:
    Ia to Kampfkdt. Lüttich (Liege city):
    1340: a Shermantank enterd the road Brussel-Luttich (Liege) Counterattack by Strumgeschutze.
    According to unconfirmed report more enemy units entered west of Lutich/Liege. Bridges are prepared to be blown up. Bridges which are not needed anymore are already being destroyed. General Bock von Wulfingen hopes that everything will succeed and points at the difficulties which occured by the fact that electric charges are not available. General Bock von Wulfingen reports that resistance have gatherd barges at westbank and some light tugs. He is ordered to sink them immediately.

14.40 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia AOK 7:
    Lageorientierung.
    Anschließend Aussprache mit Ia LXXIV.A.K.
    19.30 Uhr:
    Chef AOK 7 – Chef:
    Feind aus SW vorstoßend hat Rocourt erreicht. Pz.Brig.105 ist LXXIV.A.K. in den Raum Fleron
    unverzüglich zuzuführen. Kdr. voraus zu LXXIV.A.K. 116.P.D. wird Gen.Kdo. Unterstellt.
    Auftrag, Sicherungslinie Martenslinde – Tongern links anschließend 116.P.D. zu halten. Es darf nur vom Feinde gedrängt auf die Maas zurückgegangen werden.
    Chef meldet, daß Pz.Brig. 105 am 6. u. 7.9. 3 Panzer, 1 Pz.-Spähwagen, 30 Lkw. und 20 Pkw. Vernichtet hat
    1930 : Chef AOK 7 to Chef:
    Enemy advances from Southwest, has reached Rocourt. Pz brig 105 has to be under command of LXXIVA immediately in sector Fleron. Commander advances to LXXIVa
    116Pz. Div. under command of Gen. Kommando: Order to hold the secured line Martenslinde-Tongeren at left flank of 116th Panzer Div. Only allowed to retreat/fall back to Maas (river) when forced to withdraw by enemy.
    Chief reports: PzBrig 105 has destroyed 3 tanks , 1 armoredcar , 30 trucks and 20 cars

18.20 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia LXXIV.A.K.:
    General Graf Schwerin hat Anweisung für Maas-Übergang von Teilen seiner Kräfte in Maastricht gegeben und will Sprengung der Brücken verantwortlich übernehmen. Gen.Kdo. weist darauf hin, daß Sprengung der Brücken bereits befohlen und restlos durchgeführt wird. Für LXXIV.A.K. werden 2 Brücken in Lüttich offen gehalten und außerdem für LXXXI.A.K. Brücken in Vise.
    18.20 Uhr:
    Ia to Ia LXXIV.A.K.:
    General graf Schwerin has ordered part of his forces to cross Maas river and wants to take over the responsibility to destroy bridges. Gen. Komm points out that the order to destroy bridges has already been given and will be executed anyhow. Two bridges in Luttich/Liege will remain open for LXXIV AK and also bridges for LXXXI AK in Vise.

20. Ruud

Ruud Member

19.00 Uhr:
    Chef – Oberst von Gersdorff:
    Pz.Brigade 105 ist sofort herauszuziehen und in Vise auf das Ostufer der Maas zu nehmen. Beabsichtigt ist Einsatz der Pz.Brigade so. Luttich, zunächst an der Ourthe, um dann in beweglicher Kampfführung Anschluß an rechten Flügel I.SS.Pz.Korps zu gewinnen.
    Pz Brig 105 has to be pulled out immediatly and must be redeployed at East bank of Maasriver in Vise (belgium) intention is to deploy them in South East of Luttich/Liege, first at the Ourthe (river) and in that way to make contact with right flank of 1st SS Panzer Korps.

20.00 Uhr:
    Ia – Major Volker:
    Ia gibt gemäß Armeebefehl Major Volker den Auftrag, Pz.Brigade auf schnellstem Wege in Raum so Lüttich zu führen. Kdr. sofort voraus zu LXXIV.A.K.
    Für Oberst Fiebig: Mit sofortiger Wirkung ist 116.Pz.Div. LXXXI.A.K. unterstellt und nimmt links an Fiebig Anschluß in der allgemeinen Linie Tongern – Lüttich. Stellung ist in enger Verbindung mit 116.Pz.Div. So lange wie möglich zu halten und nur vor überlegenem Feind kämpfend auszuweichen. Übergangstelle für Fiebig, 116.pz.Div.: Brücke bei Vise
    1a Mahor Volker:
    1a orders, according to order of Armee, Marjor Volkel to deploy Pz Brid as quickly as possible to sector of Luttich/Liege.
    To Oberst Fiebig: at direct order the 116 Pz Div. is under command of LXXXI.A.K. and makes contact with Fiebig in the the line Tongeren-Luttich. Position is in close coorporation with 116 Pz.Div. Hold as long as possible and only retreat if enemy forces are superior. Checkpoit for Fiebig, 116th Panzer Div: bridge at Vise

K.T.B. LXXXI.A.K. 8.September 1944
    01.20 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia Armee:
    Orientierung. Ia Armee fragt an, wo Major Volker, da immer noch nicht bei LXXIV.A.K. eingetroffen.
    Ia weist ausdrücklich darauf hin, daß Major Volker 2 mal durch Funk zum LXXIV.A.K. befohlen worden sei und zweitens Major Volker vom Ia um 20.00 Uhr persönlich, mündlich darauf hingewiesen worden sei, daß Korps schnellstens aufzusuchen.
    Außerdem Verbindungs-Offz. der Pz.Brigade 105 zum LXXIV.A.K. entsandt.
    Statusreport: Ia first wants to know were is Major Volker, because he has still not arrived at LXXIV.A.K. Ia expresses that Major is already ordered by phone to go to LXXIV.A.K and second that Major Volker received order from Ia in person at 20:00hrs and was ordered to visit Korps immediately.
    Besides that a Verbindungs offizier of Pz Brigade105 is sent to LXXIV.A.K.

07.30 Uhr:
    Pagina-einde
    K.G. – Kampfkdt. Lüttich:
    Auf Anfrage stellt der K.G. fest, daß ein Teil der Schleppkähne noch nicht versenkt worden sei, da die mittel hierzu fehlten. Der K.G. weist nochmals ausdrücklich darauf hin, daß mit allen Mitteln versucht werden muß, diese Schleppkähne zu versenken.
    After inquiries K.G. Concludes that still some of the barges have not been sunk yet due to lack of utilities K.G. emphasizes again to use all efforts to sink the barges.

07.45 Uhr:
    Hptm. Risse – Verb.Offz. 116.Pz.Div:
    116.Pz.Div. verlegt mit allen Teilen einschl. gepanzerter Gruppe in den Raum südl. Aubel. Sofort
    Aufklärung Raum Eupen –Verviers –Lüttich. Ia voraus zum LXXXI.A.K.
    Hauptman Riss, communications officer of 116th Panzer Div:
    116th Panz. Div moved all units including the armored troops to sector Souh of Aubel. Immediately reconmission in sector Eupen-Verviers-Luttich.

08.00 Uhr:
    Hptm. Risse – Verb.Offz. Gruppe Fiebig:
    Graf Schwerin hat den Auftrag bekommen, sofort mit seiner Div. in den Raum Aubel zu verlegen zur Verfügung des Gen.Kdos., sofort kampfkräftige Aufklärung anzusetzen gegen den Raum Eupen – Verviers
    Graf Schwerin has been ordered to move his Division immediately to sector Aubel in favour of des Gen. Kommando, and make combat-ready reconmission in sector Eupen-Verviers.
    – Lüttich (als Sofortmaßnahme).
    Auftrag für Sie: Eine Brückenkopfstellung solange beizubehalten, bis sämtliche Teile von Ihnen herüber sind, dann scharf gedrängt vom Feinde den Brückenkopf abzubauen, die Brücken über die Maas und Kanal zu sprengen. Verantwortlich ist Oberst Fiebig für die Sprengung. Dann Sicherung des Ostufers der Maas, den linken Flügel stark machen mit Blickrichtung auf das Ostufer nach Süden gegen einen Gegner, der evtl. Von Lüttich nach Norden vorstößt.
    Verbindungs-Offz. sofort wieder zum Gen.Kdo. mit der Meldung, wie Lage ist, wann die Brücken gesprengt sind.
    -Luttich: Hold a bridgehead as long as possible untill all units are crossed and leave under enemy pressure the bridgehead. Destroy bridges over Maasriver and over channel. Oberst Fiebig is responsible for blowing up the bridges. After this secure East bank of Maasriver. Reinforce westflank facing eastbank and facing south against enemy which might push trough to the North from Luttich/Liege/Luik.
    Communicationsofficer immediately back to Gen. Kdo with report about situation after bridges are destroyed.

11.50 Uhr:
    Hptm. Graf Hardenberg: Kampfkdt. Lüttich meldet: Feind zwischen 10.00 – 10.30 Uhr mit Panzern und Inf. von SO in Stadt eingedrungen. Kampf. Stadt wird so lange wie möglich gehalten. Feind überlegen Von Pz.Brigade 105 nichts zu spüren. Starke Terroristentätigkeit, die vor allem ostwärtiges Maasufer besetzt halten.
    Kampfkdt. Verviers 7.9. 19.00 Uhr Feindpanzer Chaudfontaine.
    Hauptmann Graf. Hardenberg: Kampkommandant Luttich reports: Enemy entered city from South East with tanks and infantry between10:00-10:30. City will be hold as long as possible. Enemy forces superior. No signs of Panzer Brigade105. Heavy activity of resistance, which has taken eastbank of Maas.
    Kamfkommandant Verviers 7 september: at 19:00 enemy tanks in Chaudfontaine