Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

30th Infantry Division, Old Hickory

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Ruud, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Question. I take it that "Graf Schwerin has been ordered . . . in favor of General Kommando" meant that Schwerin's division (Pz.D. 116) was ordered to position itself in a manner contrary to orders from the headquarters of a higher unit, but the context doesn't make it clear which HQ. [Edit: One question omitted; Panzer Abwehr = anti-tank gun.]

2. Ruud

Ruud Member

@ triple: "zur verfuging" could mean: to be under service of, to be at their disposal. Maybe a Germans speaking member could translate this for me correctly please ?
    Panzer Abwehr i think could be a anti tank guns, antit tank infanttry units with at-guns and " panzerfaust' or selfpropelled anti-tankguns.

3. Ruud

Ruud Member

Helas but true in 2015:

[SIZE=48pt]Nashville is Next[/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=16pt]And sadly to say, it will be the [/SIZE][SIZE=20pt]LAST[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt] Reunion of the[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=16pt]“30th Infantry Division Veterans of WWII”[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12pt]The time has come when all good things must come to an end. We have had some Great times in the past few years, but time and age is taking a toll on our membership, and the numbers are dwindling faster than we would like. Our Executive Committee has decided, that since our numbers of attendees has dropped off, it is becoming a financial burden to continue having reunions without adequate financial support. It takes a great deal of work on the part of the Exec. Sec-Treas. and the Reunion Chairman, Mrs. Nancy-Lee Pitts and Family, to prepare all of the necessary paper work, contract, preparing a program and the process of cleaning up and winding down from the Reunion. At our age, this is becoming a burden and almost prohibitive, so, very sadly, we must call it Adieu !![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] So, all we ask is that as many of you who are able, Please come to this Reunion, to have a good time and enjoy the company of each other, and make this a memorable reunion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] This may be the last opportunity that you will have to see and visit with “old buddies”, whom you have known for the past many years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Remember, Nashville was the site of the very first Reunion of the 30th Division Veterans in 1947, and it is quite appropriate that we should have the last one at this same site.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] Come One and Come All, and make this a Big Blast, for the last time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] We will be looking forward to seeing ALL of you.[/SIZE]

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

There was talk last year that this was going to be the last and I so wanted to go with Mr. Sanford this year, but a lot of personal things mitigated against me going. A large number of the stalwarts have either died or are in such poor health that they can no longer make the trip, so the last two reunions have seen more guests than veterans at the events.

i was fortunate enough to be at the last reunion Francis Curry attended was able to meet him and his dear wife. I've also met and talked with a large number of men who served with the division and I wished that I could have been able to attend reunions long before I did so that could have gotten to know them better.

They are fading into the twilight.

Ruud likes this.
  5. Ruud

Ruud Member

They might fade but they will not be forgotten.

6. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Especially to this forum, thanks to Slipdigits great efforts with Mr. Sanford and the 30th. ;)

Ruud likes this.
  7. Ruud

Ruud Member

In september 2014 veterans of Old hickory visited Maastricht.
    I filmed a part of the parade through Maastricht on 13th september. at the end of the parade a lot of people gathered around the veterans and also around mr Sanford. You will see people of Maastricht tell him how they are still very gratefull to the american liberators. On 14th september i was on American War Cemetery of Margraten were mr Sanford visited two graves.

this is the link to the movie i made:

http://1drv.ms/1DQOwUs

Please keep in mind:
    I am not Spielberg
    The film is not editted
    It was a honor to be there
    The film is in *.mov format, it will take sometime to load and playtime about 30 min.

Enjoy.

8. Ruud

Ruud Member

and on we go with the AAR :

21.00 Uhr wenige Feindpanzer Trooz. Louveigne nachts feindfrei. Zwischen 06.00 – 07.00 Uhr dort einige
    Feindpanzer, Richtung Ost. Lage Verviers ruhig. 347.I.D. nach Meldung eines Ord.Offz. nach Spa.
    2100 Some enemy tanks at Trooz. No enemies during night in Louveigne. Between 06.00 -0700 hrs some enemy tanks there, heading East. Sector Verviers quiet. 347Inf Div acording to a message of a Ord. Offz heading to Spa .

14.40 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia 49.I.D.:
    Wichtig Aufklärung gegen Vesdre-Abschnitt. 116.P.D. macht Angriff gegen Lüttich.
    15.15 Uhr: Auftrag für 116.P.D., Lüttich frei zu kämpfen. Antreten nicht vor Abend. Bis dahin entsteht eine gewisse Schwäche. Aufpassen! Rechte Grenze für Div. Aubel – Argenteau (Orte auschl.).
    Important : reconmission in Vesdre-sector. 116 Panzer Div. makes attack against Luttich/Liege/Luik
    15.15 Order for 116 Panz. Div to retake Luttich. No action before evening. Untill that moment there will be a certain weakness. Watch out ! Right border for Division is Aubel-Argeneau.
    16.00 Uhr:
    Hptm. Graf Hardenberg meldet:
    In Düren befindet sich der Stützpunkt Nord des Generals der Panzertruppen West. 9.P.D. trifft heute oder morgen im Raum Düren ein.
    1600 Hauptmann Graf. Hardenberg reports:
    The Northern base of the General of “Panzertruppen West” is in Düren. The 9th Panz. Div. will arrive today or tomorrow in sector Düren.
    Pagina-einde
    19.15 Uhr:
    Ia – Hptm. Graf Hardenberg: Starke Terroristentätigkeit in Lüttich und einige Panzer Zur Zeit verhältnismäßig ruhig. Verbindung nach dort wieder hergestellt.
    1915:
    Ia: Hautpman Graf Hardenberg: Strong resistance activity in Lüttich/Liege/Luik and some tanks now and then. Relatively quiet. Communication to there restored.

19.45 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia 49.I.D.:
    I/9 Fiebig unterstellt, Inmarschsetzung nach Oberforstbach, Kdr. meldet sich in Walheim.
    Um 19.15 Uhr trat die gepanzerte Kampfgruppe der 116.P.D. an, um Kampfgruppe Lüttich zu befreien. Sie erreichte 20.56 Uhr Beyne, 4 km ostw. Lüttich. Da den Kdr. 116.P.D. eine Meldung von 4 Feldgendarmen erreicht, daß General von Bock sich durchgeschlagen hätte und in Thimister wäre, stellte er den Angriff ein und nahm die Kampfgruppe zur Sicherung der Versammlung der Div. nach Micheroux zurück.
    Die Meldung vom dem Herauskämpfen der Kampfgruppe Lüttich entsprach nicht den Tatsachen. General von Bock wurde im Fort Chartreuse von allen Seiten mit Unterstützung von Panzern angegriffen und ließ um 21.25 Uhr über den Hptm. Graf Hardenberg in Aachen melden, daß er sich nicht mehr halten könne und mit amerikanischen Offizieren wegen der Übergabe verhandele.
    Ia to Ia 49th Inf Div.:
    I/9 under Fiebig. Move out to Oberforstbach (near Aachen) Commander reports in Walheim (near Aachen)
    At 19:15 the armored troops of 116th Panz. Div. assambled to free Kamfgruppe Lüttich. They reached at 20.56 Beyne, 4 kilometers east of Lüttich. Because of the fact that the commander of 116 Panz. Div got a message from four “Feldgendarmen” ( german mil.police) reporting that General Von Bock had pushed through and entered Thimister (Thimister-Clermont) he stopped the attack
    and fell back with his Kamfgruppe to Micheroux to secure the reassembly of the Division.
    The report of the Kamfgruppe breaking out of Lüttich was not acording to what happened in reality.
    General Von Bock was attacked from all sides by tanks and at 21.25 notified Hauptman Graf Hardenberg in Aachen that he could not hold any longer and was negotiating about surrender with American officers.

KodiakBeer and Slipdigit like this.
  9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Ruud, between your translation of the German AARs and Jeff's book, we have a two sided view of what the 30th went through. Thanks for the two sided view.

It's very sad that the rate of losing our WW2 vets is large and growing. I hope sites like this keep the memory of what they did alive.

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  10. Ruud

Ruud Member

Thanks all !

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think of the 30th as representative of all those forgotten allied infantrymen who carried the real weight in the war. Looking back today, popular culture has replaced them with the more "exciting" paratroops and armor. Even while it was happening, the newsmen often ignored the infantry to focus on what sold papers. I suppose 100 years earlier, it was the cavalry that captured the popular imagination. In WWII it was paratroopers and fighter pilots.

Yet, day to day, in every war, it is the infantry who grind the enemy down (and get ground down) in protracted combat. The losses bear that out. For example in a US Division, the actual line companies (who took the majority of casualties) consisted of about 7200 men. In eleven months of combat Old Hickory had 3,506 Killed In Action and 13,376 Wounded In Action.

So, statistically, you had close to a 50% chance of being killed in action. You had close to a 200% chance of being wounded in action. That's pretty sobering isn't it? Yet, they fought on day after day, village after village, grid square after grid square until they shook hands with the Russians on the Elbe and could go home.

It was the same story in all the infantry divisions; US, Brit, Commonwealth, Soviet - the artillery does the killing and the infantry does the dying.

Triple C and Smiley 2.0 like this.
  12. Ruud

Ruud Member

In den Vormittagsstunden:
    Ia 275.I.D. meldet
    Übergabe Abschnitt beiderseits Maastricht an 176.I.D. bis Mittag. Herauslösen eigener Truppe und Verschieben in den befohlenen Abschnitt. Div.Gef.Stand wird am Abend verlegt nach Banholt. Bewegungen werden in den frühen Abendstunden beendet sein.
    Ia 275 Inf. Iv reports:
    Transfer of section on both sides of Maastricht to 173 Inf. Dvi untill noon. Take out own troops and transfer to commanded sector. Div base will be transfered in the evening to Banholt. Movements will be completed later that evening.
    116.Pz.Div. meldet:
    Aufbau Riegel Argenteau – Mortroux.
    49.I.D. Meldet:
    Kampfgruppe Klose ausgewichen vor Feind bei Jupille, welches sich jedoch nicht bestätigt hat. Brücken bei Jupille und Wandre sind zerstört. Gruppe Klose wurde wieder nach vorne in die Stellung gebracht . Feind in den Vormittagsstunden stößt im Vesdre-Abschnitt auf Verviers in Richtung Eupen (Fernsprech-Aufklärung des Grafen Hardenberg in Aachen).
    49th Inf Div reports: Kampfgruppe “Klose”pushed back by enemy at Jupille, but this has not been confirmed yet. Bridges at Jupille and Wandre are destroyed. Gruppe 'Klose” was brought back in position at front line. In morning hours enemy in sector Vesdre pushes further to Verviers and heading to Eupen (telephone report by Grafen Hardenberg in Aachen)
    Durch eigene Aufklärung der Aufkl.Kp.81 klärt sich jedoch die Lage dahingehend, daß der Feind nur schwache Aufklärungsvorstöße nach n und NO führt, um seine rechte Flanke bei m Angriff um 10.30 Uhr über die Vesdre gegen den Ostteil der Festung Lüttich zu sichern.
    By own reconmission of Aufklärungs Kompanie 81 it proofs that the enemy advances only with light reconmission/attacks to the north and north-east to protect his right flank during the attack at 10.30 over Vesdre-river on his way to the eastern part of stronghold Lüttich/Liege/Luik
    Im Laufe der frühen Nachmittagsstunden gelang es dem Gegner, Lüttich einzuschließen. Unterstützt durch starke Terroristentätigkeit geriet die Kampfgruppe unter Führung des Generals Bock von Wülfingen in eine schwierige Lage. Sie zog sich in das Fort Chartreuse zurück und verteidigte dies. General Schwerin, 116.P.D., erhielt in den frühen Nachmittagsstunden durch V.O. und Funk den Befehl, diesen auf Lüttich-Ost vorstoßenden Feind anzugreifen, ihn über die vesdre zu werfen, Verbindung mit Kampfgruppe Lüttich herzustellen und den Vesdre-Abschnitt zu sperren bis zum Freikämpfen des Südufers der Vesdre und des Ostufers der Ourthe durch die dem LXXXIV.A.K. unterstellte Pz.Brigade 105.
    During the early afternoon the enemy succeeded surrounding Luttich/Liege/Luik and because of the support of the heavy activities of the resistance, the Kampfgruppe under command of General Bock von Wülfingen got in a difficult position. They withdrew to Fort Chartreuse and defended this position. General Schwerin of 116th Panzer Div. received order in early afternoon to attack the to eastern Luttich advancing enemy, to push enemy back over Vesdre-river, reastablish contact with Kampfgruppe Lüttich and block the Vesdre sector untill the Vesdre sector and east bank of Ourthe are cleared and secured by 105th Panzer.Brigade.
    Lage Lüttich wurde immer unklarer durch Abreißen der Fernsprechverbindung und Ausfall der Funkverbindung. Sie klärt sich jedoch in den frühen Abendsstunden dahingehend auf, daß sich die Besatzung immer noch hält. Gerüchtweise verlautet, daß der General Bock von Wülfingen Aufgabe vorbereiten wollte. Durch energische Funksprüche, zu halten, und daß Hilfe durch die 116.P.D. zu erwarten sei, versucht das Gen.Kdo., dieses zu verhinderen..
    Bei 49.I.D. wurde ein Personalwechsel durchgeführt. Der Ia wurde verabschiedet und als sein Nachfolger wurde
    Hptm. Risse, Generalstabslehrling bei Ia des Korps, eingesetzt. Den nacheinander eintreffenden Kdren. Und Ia’s der 275.I.D., 49.I.D., 116.P.D. wurde nochmals klar befohlen, die Verbände neu zu gliedern, Rgt.Gruppen zusammen zu fassen und alles daran zu setzen, ihre Verbände wieder
    straff in die Hand zu bekommen.
    The situation in Lüttich got more unclear because of demolished communication lines.
    However, in the early evening it becomes clear that the garrison still holds. Rumours go that General Bock von Wülfingen prepares to give up. The General Kommando tries to avoid this by making energetic radiocalls, to make them hold and tell them they can expect the help of the 116th Panzer Div.
    The 49 inf. Div had a change of staff. The Ia was replaced by Hauptman Risse a member of the Generalstab. The staff of the 275 Inf Div, 49th Inf Div and 116th was made clear again to reassamble and deploy their units, unite the troops and make great efforts to regain strong authority over them.

Div.Stab 353 mit unterstelltem Ld.Schtz.Ausb.Btl.II/6 und Gruppenstab Viebig mit unterstelltem Ld.Schtz.Ausb.I/9 wurden an den Westwall als Erkundungsstab vorausgeschickt, um vorbereitend alle Unterlagen für eine eventuele neue Verteidigungsstellung des Korps vorzubereiten.
    Ia 49.I.D. meldete, daß Div. mit starkem linken Flügel hart ostwärts Lüttich ein Sperr-Riegel aufbauen wird mit Baum- und Minensperren und Pak soweit vorhanden.
    Div.staff 353 with under their command Ld.Schtz.Ausb.Btl.II/6 and Gruppenstab Viebig with the Ld.Schtz.Ausb.I/9 under their command are send on ahead as quartermakers to the Westwall to make preparations for an upcoming new line of defence of the Korps.
    Ia of 49th Inf reported that they will set up a strong blockade at the left wing to the east of Luttich with tree-blockades, minefields and anti tankguns.

13. Ruud

Ruud Member

K.T.B. LXXXI.A.K. 9.September 1944
    00.10 Uhr: Lageorientierung an V.O. zum AOK 7 durch O 1: Abschnitt 275. I.D. und 49.I.D. feindl. Aufklärungstätigkeit mit Pz.Spähtrupps auf dem Westufer der Maas
    116.P.D. im Angriff. Auftrag, den über die Vesdre-Bach von Lüttich angreifenden Feind über die Vesdre zurückzuwerfen und Verbindung mit den Teilen des Kampfkdt. Lüttich wieder herzustellen. Bis zum Freikämpfen des Südufers des Vesdre-Baches durch LXXIV.A.K. ist der Vesdre-Abschnitt zu sperren.
    Demnächst hält sich Div. im Raum Battice – Herve so bereit, daß Feindvordringen aus Raum Lüttich in Ost- und nordostwärtiger Richtung angriffsweise verhindert werden kann.
    Lage Lüttich z.Zt. noch ungeklärt. Nachrichtenverbindung besteht z.Zt. Nicht.
    Korps bittet um Fernsprechanschluß. Armee soll zeitgerecht neuen Gefechtsstand mitteilen.
    0010 statusreport
    In sector 275th Inf. Div. and 49 Inf Div enemy reconactivities with armored reconunits on west bank of Maas-river.
    116th Panzer div. attacks, order: push back enemy who is attacking form direction of Luttich/Liege crossing Vesdre-river back over Vesdre, to make again contact with units of Kampfdt Luttich.
    Untill the south bank of Vesdre is retaken by LXXIV.AK the Vesdre sector has to be blocked.
    The Div in the proximity of Battice has to be prepared to make offensive against enemy coming from sector Lutich, heading E-NE, to prevent enemy from pushing through.
    Situation in Lüttich unknown at the moment. No communicationlines available currently.
    Korps requests telephone connection. Armee should inform about position of their new commandpost in due time.
    00.50 Uhr:
    49.I.D. meldet, daß 116.P.D. im Raum sw. Herve sammelt.
    Herumklappen linker Flügel 49.I.D. hat geklappt. 49.I.D. veranlaßt, Verb.Offz. nach Thimister zu
    entsenden, ob Kampf-kdt. Lüttich tatsächlich dort und mit starken Teilen.
    0050 :
    49th Inf. Div. reports: the 116th Panzer Div gathers in sector SW Herve.
    Turning left wing of 49th ID succesfully. 49th ID orders communicationstaf to be sent to Thimister if Kamp.kdt Lüttich is there actually and with what forces.
    Entwicklung bis Mittag:
    Während in den Vormittagsstunden Gen.Kdo. dabei ist, die Grenze zwischen 49.I.D. und 116.Pz.Div. festzulegen, befiehlt AOK, daß Gen.Kdo. mit 116.Pz.Div. Anschluß zwischen Maas und Ourthe-Stellung am Zusammenfluß Vesdre – Ourthe herzustellen hat und das Nordufer der Vesdre zwischen Lüttich und Verviers frei zu kämpfen. Gleichzeitig soll Pz.Brig. 105 südl. der Vesdre bis zur Ourthe vorstoßen. K.G. hat sich zur 49.I.D. und 116.Pz.Div. begeben, um persönlich die Durchführung anzuordnen. Bevor die Durchführung anläuft, meldet um 12.15 Uhr 116.Pz.Div. durch Funk, daß um 10.30 Uhr 60 fdl. Panzer in Rechain nw. Verviers stehen.
    Situation at noon:
    While in the morninghours the Gen. Kommando is occupied with defining the boundaries between 49th inf. Div and 116t Panzer Div, the AOK orders that the Gen.Kom has to re-establish the contact with 116th Panz. Div. between Maas-river and Ourthe positions where Vesdre and Ourthe flow together, and clear North bank of Vesdre between Lüttich and Verviers of enemy. At the same time the 105 Panzer Brig must advance south of Vesdre-river to Ourthe-river.
    K.G has visited 49 ID and 116th Pan. Div to arange the implemantation of the order personally. Before the orders were executed, at 12.15 the 116th Pan. Div informs by phone, that at 10.30 60 enemy tanks are in Rechain (Petit-Rechain) , NW of Verviers.

14.30 Uhr: Meldet sich der Führer der Pz.Kp. (FLK) 319 mit dem Führer 1./Sich.Rgt.1030, die sich auf Befehl des General von Böck am 8.9. aus Lüttich herausgekämpft haben und nach Aachen gegangen sind.
    Pz. Kp. hat noch 6 Sturmgeschütze, davon 3 einsatzbereit, und 16 Sprengstoffträger, zum größten Teil unbeweglich.
    Pz.Kp. wird 116.Pz.Div., Kp. Sich.Rgt. der 49.I.D. unterstellt. Beide Führer haben Befehl, sich bei den betr. Div. zu melden.
    14.30 the commander of the Panzer. Komp (FLK) 319 and the commander of 1/Sich. Regiment 1030 who fought their way out of Lütich on the 8th september, at order of General Von Bock, and went to Aachen, reports in.
    Panz. Comp has 6 Sturmgeschütze, 3 of them are operational, and 16 explosive carriers, most of them not able to manouvre.
    Panzer Komp redeployed under 116th Panz. Div and Kp.Sich redeployed under 49Inf. Div.
    Both commanders are ordered to report at there designated division.
    15.10 Uhr: Meldet sich Ia der und berichtet über die Lage: Bei Verviers. Feindl. Panzer überschritten um 15.00 Uhr die Straße Battice – Verviers in Richtung Eupen.
    Pz. Brigade 105 befindet sich in Gegend Thimister. Div.Gef.Stand wird nach Aubel verlegt. K.G. gibt dem Ia persönlich den Befehl, mit der Di v. die Straßen von Verviers auf Aachen zu sperren und weiteres Vorgehen des Feindes angriffsweise zu verhindern.
    1510: Ia contacts and informs about situation: At Verviers enemy tanks have crossed the road Battice-Verviers heading to Eupen.
    Panzer brig 105 is nearby Thimister. Commandpost will be moved to Aubel.
    K.G. Orders Ia personally to block the road Verviers to Aachen and to prevent the advance of the enemy by offensive.
    16.10 Uhr:
    Orientiert K.G. den Kdr. 49. I.D. über die Lage und gibt ihm den Befehl, mit der Div. stehen zu bleiben und nur den linken Flügel nach Süden abzuschirmen und Fühlung mit der 116.P.D. zu halten.
    1610: KG informs staf of 49th Inf div about situation and orders to hold the division in position and only protect left wing to south and keep contact with 116th Panz div

17.00 Uhr:
    Ferngespräch Chef mit O.B.AOK 7, General Brandenberger:
    phonecall Chef with OBAOK 7, General Brandenberger:
    O.B: Ich schätze den Feind auf 1 Pz.Div. mit 80 Panzern, die nach NO vorgeht. Was macht die Pz.Brigade 105 ?
    OB: I estimate strenght of enemy at 1 armored division with 80 tanks, heading North East. What is Panz.Brigade 105 doing ?
    Chef: Die Pz.Brig. 105 ist von Batice nach Süden abgedreht und greift an. 116.Pz.Div. wird nach SO verlegt und soll mit einer Kampfgruppe mit panzerbrechenden Waffen absperren im Zuge der Straßen, die von Eupen und Herbesthal nach NO führen. Die gepanzerte Gruppe hat Auftrag, angriffsweise ein Vorgehen aus dem Raume Batice zu verhindern. 49.I.D. bleibt mit der Nordflanke an der Maas stehen und hält Anschluß mit ihrem linken Flügel an die 116.Pz.Div. spätestens bei Batice.
    Chef: the Panz Brig 105 has turned to south from Batice and attacks. The 116th Panz div will be orderd to South East and must block the roads which run from Eupen to Herbestal to North East with anti-tank units.
    The armored unit has orders to prevent offensively the advance of the enemy out of sector Batice. The 49th Inf div remains with Northern flank at Maas-river and keeps contact with 116th Pz div with their left wing at the latest at Batice.
    OB: Einverstanden. Maaslinie muß festgehalten werden. Mit der 116.Pz.Div. muß weiteres Vorgehen verhindert werden.
    OB: Agreed, Maasline must be held. Further advance must be prevented witht 116h Panz div.
    Chef: Ist die Sturmgeschütz-Brigade schon in Düren ?
    Chef: Is Sturmgeschütz Brigade allready in Düren ?
    OB: Ist noch nicht da.
    OB: No, have not arrived yet
    OB: Wo sitzen Sie ?
    OB : were are you ?
    Chef: Wir sind noch auf dem alten Korpsgefechtsstand.
    Chef: We are still at the present commandpost.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  14. Ruud

Ruud Member

15. Ruud

Ruud Member

18.00 Uhr:
    Ia 116.P.D. meldet fernmündlich:
    Feind greift an über Bilstain nach NO.
    K.G weist darauf hin, dass die Div. sich nicht zu Gunsten der Pz.Brigade 105 entblößen darf.
    Ia reports:
    Enemy attacks to N.E via Bilstain. KG recalls that the Division is not allowed to expose in benefit of 105th Panzer Brig.

18.15 Uhr:
    Chef – Oberst von Gersdorff:
    Chef: Schilderung der Lage. Plan, 116.P.D. no. Vorzulegen, nicht mehr durchführbar, da sie von Westen und Süden bei Battice selbst angegriffen wird. Anschluss bei Limbourg daher nicht mehr möglich. Es ist hierdurch eine Lücke von 8 km zwischen der 116.P.D. und der Pz.Brigade 105 entstanden. Feind schiebt weiter Kolonnen und Panzer von Westen über Verviers nach. Gleichzeitig wird die 49.I.D. von Süden und Südwesten angegriffen. Die Div. hat den Auftrag, eisern fest zu halten. Beurteilung, wenn Korps weiter hält, kann eine üble Lage entstehen. Morgen sind vielleicht keine Kräfte mehr da, um in eine rückwärtige Stellung zurückgenommen werden zu können. Bewegungen bei Tage sind wegen Jabo-Angriffe nicht möglich. Die Pz,Kp, (FKL) 319 hat nur noch 3 einsatzbereite Sturmgeschütze. Vorschlag, keine Zwischenlösung, sondern gleich hinter Westwall zurückzunehmen. Oberst von Gersdorff ist vollkommen der Ansicht des Korps, jedoch ist keine Änderung des Befehls von der Heeresgruppe zu erwarten. Es bleibt bei dem Befehl, unter Festhalten des rechten Flügels den Feind angriffsweise über die Vesdre zurück zu werfen.
    Chef: informs about situation: idea 116th Panz Div deploying to N.E can not be executed anymore because they are under attack themselves from the West and South near Battice. Making contact near Limburg not possible anymore. This created a gap of 8 km between 116 panz div and 105 panz div. Enemy continues to push more tanks and armor to the West via Verviers.
    At the same time the 49th Inf. Div is under attack from South and S.E. The division is ordered to hold firmly. If Korps keeps at a hold, this might result in a bad situation. Tomorrow there might be no more forces anymore to be withdrawn in a reaward position. Movements at daylight not possible because of attacks by enemy fighterplanes. The 319th Panzer Komp (FKL) has only 3 Sturmgeschütze left ready for use. Proposal: no interim solutions but withdraw them directly behind Westwall. Oberst Von Gerstdorff agrees with the point of view of the Korps, but there is no other order to be expected from the Heeresgruppe. They stay with their decission to push enemy back over the Vesdre while holding the westwing.

19.55 Uhr:
    Pagina-einde
    Ia – Ia 49.I.D.:
    Es bleibt bei dem Befehl, daß Maas-Linie zu halten ist.
    Ia to Ia 49th Inf Div
    They still command to hold the Maas-line
    (Ia=operations officer of field unit)

20.00 Uhr: Ia gibt Ia 49.I.D. die neue Verteidigungslinie auf.
    20.00 Ia sets up a new defence-line for the 49th Inf Div20.00 Uhr:
    Chef AOK 7 – Chef: Dem Gen.Kdo. wird zugeführt: 1 Kampfgruppe SS-Div. bestehend aus: 2 Pz.Gren.Btl., 1 Pi.Kp., 1 2cm Fla- Zug, 2 Bttrn. Le.F.H.,1 Kanonen-Bttr., 10 s.Pak.

Artl. Ist bereits in Falkenburg. Einsatz im Sinne des Auftrags.
    Artillerie is already in Valkenburg.
    Im Betriebsstofflager Heerlen ist nur Benzol, welches nur in Vermischung mit Benzin brauchbar ist.
    In Feuldepot at Heerlen only Benzene is available, this can only be used when mixed with Gasoline.

20.15 Uhr:
    K.G. – General von Schwerin:
    Lageschilderung. Armee hat befohlen, daß Feindeinbruch angriffsweise zu bereinigen ist. Hierzu wird 116.P.D. eine Kampfgruppe Waffen-SS, (9 SS P.D.) bestehend aus 2 Btl. Pz Gren., 1 Art.Abt. mit 2 le.Bttr. und 1 10cm Kanonen-Bttr., 1 Pi.Kp., 1 Fla-Zug und 10 s.Pak unterstellt. Artl bereits eingetroffen. Zuführung wird durch Arko in dem Raum Clermont veranlaßt. Unterstellung Pz.Brig.105 wird durch Gen.Kdo beantragt.

1. KG to General von Schwerin:
    Statusreport: Armee has ordered to counterattack the advancing enemy. Therefore the 116 Panz Div will recieve a support of Waffen-SS (9th SS Panz div) containing 2 Battl. Panzer Grenadiere, 1 artillerie Unit with 2 light Batteries and one 10 cm Canon Battery , one Pioniere Komp. One Flak Zug and 10 Antitank units. Artillerie already arrived. Artilleriecomander in sector Clermont pompts this adition. Gen. Kdo request the controle over the 105th Panz Div.
    20.30 Uhr:
    K.G. orientiert General Machholz und macht es nochmals dringend, zu halten.
    KG informs General Machholz and urges him again to hold.

20.30 Uhr: Anruf Chef AOK 7 an Chef: Pz.Brigade 105 wird dem Gen.Kdo. Unterstellt.
    20.30 tel.cal from Chef AOK to Chef: 105th Panz brig is put under control of Gen. kommando
    Chef meldet, daß Kampfgruppe 9.SS.Pz.Div. 116.Pd.Div. unterstellt werden soll.
    Chef informs that Kampfgruppe 9 SS Panz div should be put under command of the 116 Panz Div
    Chef AOK: Einverstanden.
    Chef AOK (Army commander): Allright
    Militärbefehlshaber Belgien und Kampfkdt. Aachen werden Gen.Kdo. zum Ausbau der Stellung Maastricht – Aachen – Westwall unterstellt.
    Military Commander Belgium and Kampfkdt Aachen are put under command of Gen. Kommando to expand/strengthen the line Maastricht-Aachen- Westwall
    Stab 353.I.D. bleibt unterstellt, Stab Fiebig scheidet aus.
    Staf 353th Inf div remains under command, Staff Fiebig excluded
    20.50 Uhr:
    Ia an Ia 116.Pz.Div.
    Pz.Brigade 105 wird der Div. unterstellt, desgleichen 9.SS.Pz.Div. Art. wird nach Clermont zugeführt Führer Kampfgruppe nach Meldekopf Hombourg, dort abfangen.
    105th Panz div under command of Division , similar for 9th SS Panz Div. Artillery will be moved to Clermont. Commander of Kampfgruppe to communicationcentre Hombourg, intercept there.
    21.30 Uhr:
    Chef AOK fragt nach Lage:
    2130 Chef Aok inquires about situation:
    Chef: Lage wie gemeldet (Abschlußlage). Wichtig ist Herankommen Kampfgruppe 9.SS.Pz.Div.
    Chef: Status as reported . Arrival of Kampfgruppe 9th SS-Panz Div is important.
    22.00 Uhr:
    Ia 49.I.D. Meldet: 20 Feindpanzer angreifen von Jose nach NO und 40 Panzer von Michereoux auf Herve. Gläser auf Charneux ausgewichen, wird dort durch Offiziere gesammelt.
    Ia 49t Inf Div reports attack of 20 enemy tanks from Jose to North East and 40 tanks from Micheroux to Herve. Gläser evaded to Charneux, will be gathered by officers overthere.

Ia gibt Auftrag, Gruppe Gläser in neue Widerstandslinie zu führen, rechter Flügel muß halten.
    Ia orderes Gruppe Gläser to build up new line of defence, right wing has to hold

22.15 Uhr:
    Chef an Chef AOK:
    Chef meldet Verlegung des Stabes nach Weiden. AOK ist einverstanden.
    Chef reports the tranfer of the staf to Weiden. AOK agrees
    22.25 Uhr : Chef orientiert Chef AOK auf Anfrage, daß Pz.Brigade in Limbourg.
    22.25 Chef informs at request of Chef AOK that Panz Brig is in Limburg
    22.40 Uhr:
    Ia – Ia 49.I.D.:
    Anschluß linker Flügel der Div. unbedingt bei Batice.

Ia to 49 Inf Div:
    Left wing of Divisions must make contact at Batice
    23.45 Uhr: Meldung 116.Pz.Div.:
    2345 statusreport of 116th Panz Div:
    a) Durch Panzer verstärkte A.A.116 stieß in den Abendstunden des 8.9. über Herve nach Beyne –
    Heinsay, ostwärts Lüttich vor und wurde während der Nacht zur Sicherung der Versammlung der Div. nach Micheroux zurückgenommen.
    a) the with tanks reinforced A.A. 116 pushed forward in the evening of 8 september via Herve to Beyne-Heinsay, (east of Lüttich/Liege) and was withdrawn to Micheroux to secure the gathering of the Division.

Div. bezog Nacht 8./9.9. Sicherungsstellung 2 km sw. Herve. Als Feind gegen 10.00 Uhr von Westen zum Angriff auf Verviers und nördl. antrat, wurden
    Panzerkampfwagen auf den Ostflügel der Div. herangezogen, um die dort stehenden Panzerkampfwagen der Pz.Brigade 105 abzulösen, die auf der Straße Batice – Verviers vorstießen, um ein Überschreiten der Straße durch Panzerfeind, der von SW auf Disan vorstieß, zu verhindern.
    In the night of 8 to 9 september the Division secured position 2 km south of Herve. When the enemy at 10.00 hrs started attack out of west to Verviers and to the north, tanks were moved to the east wing to relieve the tanks of 105th Panz Brig, who were advancing to the road Batice – Verviers, tho prevent the enemy tanks from crossing this road in their advance from South West at Disan.
    Gegner stieß aus Verviers weiter nach NO Richtung Limbourg und über Dison nach NO vor, jeweils unterstützt von etwa 20 Panzern. Nach letzten Meldungen steht Gegner 4 kn no. Dison. Gegen 18.00 Uhr trat Gegner von 30 – 40 Jabos unterstützt, mit Panzern und Inf. aus Soumagne zum Angriff nach NO an.
    Enemy advanced fromVerviers further to North East, heading Limburg and via Dison to the North East respectively supported with 20 tanks. According to latest reports enemy is 4 km north east of Dison.

Durch Pak wurden 2 Feindpanzer vernichtet. Durch Jabo-Angriffe traten starke Verluste an eigenen Panzern und Kfz. Eigene Aufklärung meldete: 18.40 Uhr starke Bereitstellung von Inf., Panzern im Raum Andrimont – Bilstain.
    Antitank destroyed 2 enemy tanks. Heavy losses to own tanks and trucks because of attacks of enemy fighter planes. Our recon reports: at 18.40 large build up of infantry and tanks in sector Andrimont – Bilstain.
    Seit 19.40 Uhr Feindangriff aus Mont nach Norden auf Straße Batice – Aachen.

Since 19.40 enemy attacks from Mont to the north on road Batice- Aachen.

rkline56 likes this.
  16. euge78

euge78 New Member

Hey, finally got ahold of this... Anyone have one of these or seen it? Bunch of photos and gives a report on the main battles from start to finish.

Attached Files:

Ruud likes this.
  17. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You can buy copies from the Camp Blanding museum, but originals are hard to find. Where did you dig that up?

18. rkline56

rkline56 USS Oklahoma City CG5

But thanks to the Veteran's History Project, LOC and wonderful databases like our own WW2F and all the great books their valor will be remembered in perpetuity by those who understand and care. Thanks, Slip and Ruud for these great AAR's.

Ruud likes this.
  19. euge78

euge78 New Member

It was the original one the govt gave to my grandfather. Previously posted in this thread but I was heading off topic. Waiting for my mother to find some of his 30th Infantry stuff and finally got it. To Ruud, I have a book of Hette's that is written in all Dutch, it appears to have nothing to do with the war and is all drawings of buildings with writing about each drawing. If interested I could maybe scan to a drop box.

20. euge78

euge78 New Member

ISBN for that book is 92-288-2799-4. I put that in and Google Translate says it is a book of 100 pen drawings and the history of Jordan, Amsterdam. "De Jordaan"