Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

313th Infantry regiment 79th infantry division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by pjgillen, Oct 17, 2010.

1. joseph sanders

joseph sanders New Member

Hi, I don't have alot of details right now. My grand mother has all of his documents. I will have to look at them . All I know for sure right now. Is his name Joseph c Mitchell , rank was Pvt. 313th infantry , anti tank company. He did not have a 79th infantry patch when he returned home. But I have seen documents showing he was with the 79th. Also a book and printed map showing the combat route of the 79th . My grand mother has a shadow box with his medals and such in it .and there is a insignia patch if the 90th in it. I was always told that he returned home with them. I will visit my grand mother and look into his discharge papers , thanks

2. Jillian Bivona

Jillian Bivona New Member

Hi!

I am trying to locate any information about my grandfather. His name was Lawrence Charles Bolack. I have three confusing and conflicting sources about his rank and company/regiment/division etc. His tombstone says he was a t sgt co f 8th infantry. However, a news article I was given says he was in the 3rd battalion which means he wouldn’t have been in Company F like his tombstone says. Another source is the book A History of the 313th Infantry Division in WW2. Here his is listed under enlisted men, unknown of placement, and he is listed as a private.

I feel like I am at a dead end. My grandfather died young from heart disease in the 60’s. I’ve been told he received a Purple Heart but I have yet to find a hospital card. He’s always been a mythical figure in my family and I just want to learn about his time in the war.

Could any one point me in the right direction or advised me what to do next?

Attached Files:

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't know the next step, but I would kind of discount the news article. They were often incorrect.He might have been promoted toward the end of the war, after the book was published. Other than that, I can't help further until I do some more checking.

4. Jillian Bivona

Jillian Bivona New Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Since last night I have put in a request for his obituary from the public library. Hopefully, this may provide more insight. I also found an article that mentions when he was hurt in action. This article refers to him as a tech sgt. I’m also hoping that the date of the newspaper may help to narrow my search.

But, like you said, newspapers can be faulty. Hopefully this will get me somewhere.

5. LRusso216

Make sure you keep us apprised of what you learn. You might also request his OMPF (Official Military Personnel File) from the National Archives. It might shed more light on his military time.

6. LRusso216

7. Buten42

Buten42 Member

If his headstone is VA issued, the information would be taken off his separation papers that the cemetery needed to order the marker from the VA. The cemetery would also have a copy of his separation document in their files. If he earned the Purple Heart that would be listed on the separation document. If his OMPF file was burned in the fire in 1973, you might also get a copy of his separation document in the Auditor"s office at the court house where he lived after the war. They were told to have them recorded in case the original was lost or destroyed. If he was issued a Purple Heart he may have a record at the VA which might have a copy and quite a bit more.

You might read through the posts on "Requesting Copies of Military Personnel Records" at the beginning of this thread--lots of ideas.