Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

342nd Fighter Squadron during WWII & Pilot Joel J. Catron

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by Tspooh02, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Tspooh02

Tspooh02 recruit

I am trying to find information about my uncle, Joel J. Catron, who was a P-47 pilot during WWII with the 342nd Squadron. I want info on missions, kills, etc. Anything would be appreciated.

2. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

The name Catron does not appear on the USAAF Aerial Victory Credits list.

You might try posting a request for information here:
    348th FG

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

4. Tspooh02

Tspooh02 recruit

I found this on the internet about my Uncle Joel:

Joel Catron
    [​IMG] LT. COL. (RET.) JOEL "CAT" CATRON, born Dayton, Ohio, October 10,1920. Educated in the same area.
    Enlisted at Wright Field 1942. Graduated- pilot at Aloe Field, Texas, Class 44D. Gunnery at Matagorda Island. P-40 instructor for short period at Aloe Field.
    I checked out in Aloe's only P-47B - was impressed by the quietness and solid feeling of this big machine. I was attacked by P-40's at 10,000 feet. The P-47 was no match in slow speed turns. The P-40's ate me up- I rolled over in a high speed dive and left my P-40 adversaries far behind. I then climbed and dove on the P-40's at high speed and found their turning ability didn't mean much as I flashed by. The flap equalizers failed and I landed the "beast" one flap up, one down, controls crossed.
    I realized this big machine was not without faults. Above 15,000 feel the P-40's were out performed by the P-47 in every way.
    I flew combat training (CRTC) in P-47's at Nadzab, New Guinea. Joined the 348th Fighter Group - 342nd FTR Squadron at Leyte in the Philippine Islands. The 342nd Fighter Squadron changed from P-47's to P-51D's during the re-invasion of Corregidor, 1945. Went on to Okinawa.
    Actually saw the bomb blast at Nagasaki, August 9, 1945 (I have painted this historic scene). I continued my military career in the reserves. I joined the Ohio Air National Guard just before the Korean War, 1950, Retired - OANG - as Staff Intelligence Officer, 1972. Wrote the history of the OANGin 1974.
    Now paint WW II scenes and war vignettes (re-invasion of Corregidor, A- bomb, Nagasaki, etc.). At present I'm writing the history of the 342nd Fighter Squadron and 'the pilots' exploits in the mighty P-47 Thunderbolt. This history is written from the secret (now declassified) 342nd Fighter Squadron WW II combat records. Occupation - Founder President-Consultant, of the World Wings Association, Inc., Dayton, Ohio 45414.