Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

348th Fighter Group / 341st Fighter Squadron

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Destro23, Feb 9, 2009.

1. cliff's daughter

cliff's daughter Member

thanks for the warm welcome here! i'm wondering though if there is more than one 341st. my dad always called his group the 341st airdrome sqaudron, not a fighter sq. His sq. was part of the 3rd air commandos/5th air force. i posted my bio in the new member area mentioning Michigan. For more about my dad, please google: cliff burk to see an interview by steven savickas. i'll be pleased if info from my dad can bring comfort or information to someone else.

2. cliff's daughter

cliff's daughter Member

One of my dad's treasures (and he had more than lots) is a yearbook from his Officer Candidate School, Miami Beach, FL.
    He was in Class 44-F. I have the program from the actual graduation ceremony dated Saturday, 27 May 1944.

My dad was interviewed, and it posted online, along with one of his many stories about attending a wedding in the PI in 1944/5. Many years later, my brother attended a wedding in the PI of one of the children of the groom from the 40's wedding my dad attended. The "seniors" were at the original wedding and the juniors participated in the next generation's wedding. A small world story only made possible by the internet sharing. My dad and the original groom met up in San Diego after the second wedding. My dad enjoyed the visit and met another who survived the Bataan Death March. It was an awesome experience for my dad and my brother.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I just looked at this link:
    3rd Air Commando Group, 5th Air Force, in the SWPA during WW2
    and your Dads is a different unit than the 341st of the 348th/5th AAF. It does get confusing trying to decipher all the units, squadrons, and sub groups etc: I've started over more times than I can count :) Maybe you could start a new thread with the 341st, 3rd air commandos/5th Air Force. Good Luck, it sounds interesting and I'm looking forward to reading more on your Dads squadron.

5. cliff's daughter

cliff's daughter Member

thanks, lou and thanks, biak for your interest and input.
    i'd consider starting a new thread, if i knew how. ;)

anymore input on that? please.
    i was also considering starting a facebook page for fans of the 341st airdrome sq.
    that was the first place i looked, so maybe others will be looking there as well.
    it might be a good first place to post my dad's numerous stories and pictures.

lou, the online interview of my dad was a high school project: http://hs.novi.k12.mi.us/ww2/Burk_341st_history.pdf
    when my dad was buried, the young man that interviewed him served as pall bearer and drove from chicago to the detroit area to participate in honoring my dad.
    they became quite close after the interview.......kinda mutual respect. i still stay in touch with him now.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Nice story. I enjoyed reading the interview.

As for starting a new thread, it's easy. Go to the forum you think is appropriate. At the top left is a button that says New Thread. [​IMG]

Click on it, give it a title, and start typing in the box. Keep up the good work. As for Facebook, it can't hurt, so why not give it a try? Feel free to post any stories or pictures on this site. I would suggest in either Genealogy or WW2 Today. If you need advice or help, don't hesitate to ask.

7. Ed's daughter

Ed's daughter recruit

Hi, Destro 23--
    This is Ed's daughter with a question: was your dad George M. Harnes? If so, he wrote my dad , Tech Sergeant Edmund Anderson, a wonderful letter of commendation for his work on the P-51 aircraft. My dad wanted to be a pilot, but could not because of (I think) inner ear difficulties, but he loved working on those planes. We have a great photo of him standing next to a wooden sign in the shape of a shield that contains the words "341st Fighter Squadron" and the Black Jack insignia and the 5th air force emblem. I could scan the picture and the letter and send them to you if you'd like. (The letter also has a segment written by William M. Hanks joining with the Captain in commending my dad.)
    We just came across the letter in a box of things my mom had saved--we were prompted to look through them once again after viewing HBO's series The Pacific. My dad never talked about himself much, and certainly never would have called attention to the letter or the bronze star and battle stars he received for his service in the 26 months he spent in the Pacific.
    Let me know if you'd be interested in the above mentioned letter and picture.
    Thanks
    Ed's daughter

8. Bill Hoffman

Bill Hoffman recruit

Hi,

My dad, Ralph C. Hoffman, was an armorer with the 341st. I believe he served as a gun mechanic for Col. Kearby and also for Capt. Perryman.

He didn't talk much about the war, but did have several interesting stories.

If I can help, please let me know.

Bill Hoffman

9. Bill Hoffman

Bill Hoffman recruit

Hi,

My dad, Ralph C. Hoffman, was an armorer with the 341st. I believe he served as a gun mechanic for Col. Kearby and also for Capt. Perryman.

He didn't talk much about the war, but did have several interesting stories.

If I can help, please let me know.

Bill Hoffman

10. Biak

Welcome to the forum Bill,
    If you have any pictures or letters that you could post that would be great. My Uncle was in the 341st/348th and I'll ask him if he remembers your Dad. He is 90 years young and we'll be visiting with him the end of August.

11. Biak

I FOUND IT !!
    We just moved into our new house and I've started unpacking the dozens of boxes of books. I have been perusing a copy of the "History of the 348th Fighter Group". It is an original copy of the group (some are carbons on 'onion-skin' paper and somewhat hard to read in places), with a nearly day by day accounting of the group from January 1943 to January 1946. If anyone needs names or dates for pilots and a few others I should have a good chance of finding them. Services numbers for many names are also mentioned.

12. Biak

Here is a brief outline of the 348th consisting of the 340th, 341st, 342nd and later in the War the 460th.

Stations.
    Mitchel Field, NY, 30 Sep 1942;
    Bradley Field, Conn, 4 Oct 1942;
    Westover Field, Mass, 29 Oct 1942;
    Providence, RI, c. 3 Jan 1943;
    Westover Field, Mass, 28 Apr-9 May 1943;
    Port Moresby, New Guinea, 23 Jun 1943;
    Finschhafen, New Guinea, 16 Dec 1943;
    Saidor, New Guinea, 29 Mar 1944;
    Wakde, 22 May 1944;
    Noemfoor, 26 Aug 1944;
    Leyte, 16 Nov 1944;
    San Marcelino, Luzon, 4 Feb 1945;
    Floridablanca, Luzon, 15 May 1945;
    Ie Shima, 9 Jul 1945;
    Itami, Japan, Oct 1945-10 May 1946.

:::::::

Commanders. Col Neel E Kearby, Oct 1942;
    Col Robert R Rowland, 17 Nov 1943;
    Lt Col William M Banks, 8 Jun 1945;
    Maj Walter G Benz, 26 Nov 1945-unkn.

:::::::

Campaigns. Air Offensive, Japan; China Defensive; New Guinea; Bismarck Archipelago; Western Pacific; Leyte; Luzon; China Offensive.
    Decorations. Distinguished Unit Citations: New Britain, 16-31 Dec 1943; Philippine Islands, 24 Dec 1944. Philippine Presidential Unit Citation

13. foreverlynch

foreverlynch Member

Hello Biak, I noticed that you mentioned you have some unit history and a photo of the blackjack squadron. My grandfather was in the 348th group/ 341st squadron. We are trying to find as much out as possible about his service history. If you found that info, could you forward it to me at stllynch78@yahoo.com thank you very much. this could help plug some gaps in my grandfathers life.

14. foreverlynch

foreverlynch Member

again, i noticed that you have found that info. can you please forward to my email at stllynch78@yahoo.com? thanks again and sorry for the repeat posting.

15. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

Hello , buy any chance doe the above mentioned "History of the 348th Fighter Group" have an image of the WW2 "Group" unit emblem ???? I have been searching for a color image if possible please , thank you ,see image below ….I can be reached at my e mail, WeBeEmblems@aol.com , 348th Fighter Group.jpg

16. Biak

Sorry to say I haven't seen the group emblem. I'm hoping to begin digging in again and flesh out more on the Group and individual squadrons soon. If I find the colors I'll definitely post here.