Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

37 Division in New Zealand 1942 - 1944

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by StuS, Apr 13, 2012.

1. StuS

StuS Member

Greetings from New Zealand! I am a retired New Zealand Army officer, and I am researching the history of a site near my home that was occupied by elements of 37 Division in World War II.

Units of 37 Division disembarked at Auckland, New Zealand in June 1942, and went to several camps south of Auckland. One such camp was "Camp Opaheke East", the site of which is marked with a bronze plaque which reads:

"CAMP OPAHEKE - EAST
    1942-1944
    On this site stood a major camp for the forces of the United States of America engaged in the Pacific during the Second World War"

Any information that would assist my research would be most gratefully received.

Attached Files:

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure someone here can help you.

3. Buten42

Buten42 Member

37th Infantry Division
    Welcome StuS. There is another thread on the 37th and Camp Opaheke-East you might take a look at.
    Dave

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I guess I can formally welcome you in this thread, Stu. I saw your post in the 37th ID thread first and responded there. As I indicated there, I have a unit history of the 37th Division and it does mention New Zealand. I will respond with more information in the 37th ID thread.