Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

376th PFAB

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by JasperGilder, Jul 19, 2014.

1. JasperGilder

JasperGilder New Member

Hi

I'm involved in a research project and need some help.

When the 376th PFAB left Italy they prepared for the allied invasion billeted in Hinckley, Leicestershire, in England. My home town

Long before I was thought of, my Mum met 1st Lieutenant M.C Pittman 0-394155 of the 376th PFAB - Battery B

When Cleveland (as he signs himself) left on 20 Sept 1944 for Operation Market Garden they wrote nearly every day, at least twice a week on average.

It was only after my Mum died I discovered every letter he had sent her and I'm busy putting them in electronic format. It's a wonderful personal record which brings a lot of meaning to just what it was like both at home and in Europe ( the French shows for the men are awful!)

Sadly the trail goes cold with a returned envelope to a letter she sent on 20 Aug 1945 indicating unkown recipient. I know he was still alive after VE day - what happened then?

I'm fascinated to know more about Pittman's war record because his letters during the Battle of the Bulge are really phlegmatic

I'd also be keen to try and contact the family - I think he came from Florida - just in case there is a pack of letters which form the other half of the correspondence and i guess they may be interested in my half

Not being a relative I guess this may be hard - but all contacts would help!

2. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

It's a long shot trying to contact his family, but if you really want to know more about his war record, you could pay the $70 to NARA and get access to his records, assuming he was discharged prior to 1952. TD-Tommy776 made a post linking to the NARA website.

3. Cadillac

Cadillac Member

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums btw.