Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

431st. AAA AW Bn Battery D - Please Help

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Ryan Crum, Nov 9, 2003.

1. greenfrog

greenfrog Member

slipdigit i finally got the phamplet transferred to a c.d.with the help of graybeard.i have now put it in my documents computer section. i can print it out and send it to you or put it somewhere in this web page. i just don't know exactly what to do with it. if you want to call it's 843 341 7771 howard smith 104 shoreline drive hilton head s.c.29928

2. greenfrog

greenfrog Member

sorry i didn't know Staige Falls. i do know that a number of the battalion members were transferred out of our unit in africa to form a trucking battalion and a number joined us to relace them. sorry i can't help more
    greenfrog

3. greenfrog

greenfrog Member

this is wonderful thank you howard or greenfrog

4. greenfrog

greenfrog Member

with the help of this web page, the book has been created a pdf and has been sent to the eb page. i have it in my document if you want a copy of it greenfrog hjsmith@hargray.com

5. clarke187

clarke187 Member

i think he was one of the one that joined to replace them. Did you know a man named chick wagonhurst? He was a Sargent and pitched for the pittsburgh pirates?

6. songstad

songstad recruit

Hello,

I am new to this forum. My grandfather, Melvin J. Songstad, also served in Battery D of the 431st. He joined up in Jan. 1945. I just received a copy of the Personnel Roster for Battery D. It was created in August 1945. Not sure how to send a PDF attachment.

I also have several photos from when the Battery was in Southern Germany and Austria. My grandfather was in gun crew 5 or 6. I can share these photos if anyone is interested.

Thanks much

7. wheinemann

wheinemann recruit

Hello,
    I am also new to this forum. I recently wrote a post on my blog about my grandfather, Harold S. Fisher. He served in the 431st as a Sgt in Battery D. Most of what my family knows of him and his time in the 431st is in this post: http://encourageoneanotherdailyblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/family-pride-reblogged/

A man named Stefan Songstad, above, found my post. His grandfather was also in the 431st toward the end of the war, Melvin J. Songstad. I shared with him a roster of the 431st that Pappy had among his papers and Stefan shared this link with me.

I just converted the pdf roster I sent to Stefan into images. Here they are.
    View attachment 18241
    I hope this is helpful to some of you. And of course, if anyone knows my grandfather or stories of him. I would love to hear them.

Blessings~
    Wendy Fisher Heinemann

Attached Files:

LRusso216 and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thank you for your contribution to this thread and to the Forum, Wendy. I hope you will consider doing a post about your Grandfather and his service in our Those Who Served section.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Good stuff, Wendy. It would be better if you started a new thread with these pdf's. It would also benefit from images of other things you found. BTW, you should introduce yourself on the New Members thread.

10. songstad

songstad recruit

I want to thank Wendy for providing the roster for Battery D! I have started to research some of the soldiers. I think it would be nice if we could get a list of the soldiers in each platoon and gun crew. I know that my grandpa, Melvin J. Songstad, was in either gun crew 5 or 6.

I wrote to the National Archives seeing if they had any information about the 431st. They have unit histories and after action reports for the Battalion from 1942-1945. I am particularly interested in the spring of 1945. There are 400 pages of documents for Mar - May 1945. The cost to photocopy or save to a DVD is $320.00 ($.80 a page). I would love to get the records and share, not sure if I want to spend that amount though (can't be sure of the type of information).

Any ideas?

Stefan

11. Natman

Natman Member

Sounds like you've received a reproduction quote from the NARA? Four hundred pages seems like a lot for three months reporting? Could you post the index to the records for the unit? At some point, most serious researchers have to step up to the plate and spend the money. If you're unable to get the documents yourself, paying them or hiring a researcher are pretty much your options. Looks like they've raised their prices, it was $.50 page recently.

One other thing to check. The Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, KS, has loads of WWII documents. Here's a link to their records index: http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/research/finding_aids/pdf/US_Army_Unit_Records_Index.pdf Scroll down to page 16, it indicates they have records for the 431st in box 289. You'll have to contact them and see what's available, can range from a lot or very little. Send me a PM if you want to try that, I can provide the archivist's name I've worked with. If you live in the middle of the country, maybe you can visit in person?

12. bltothero

bltothero New Member

I have some battle histories from the 431st AAW from the Eisenhower Library in Kansas. I think that my grandfather was in Charlie Battery, but I have not been able to confirm. I'll see if I can find any of the names in the topic and post any information that I find. It might take me a few days, but I will see what I can do. My grandfather's name was Lloyd Tothero. Brian

TD-Tommy776 and Slipdigit like this.
  13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's very generous, Brian. It's the sort of thing that makes this Forum such a great place.

14. bltothero

bltothero New Member

Stefan (Songstad),

I looked at all of the photocopies that I got from the Eisenhower Library from Sept 1943 to Sept 1945. I only have the monthly battalion histories and some of the personnel paperwork. I looked for the name of Songstad. I did not find any entry with that name. I'm sorry. I have a grandfather, Lloyd Tothero, that I believe served in Batt B of the 431st. Unfortunately, I can't find his name in any of the paperwork either. I will continue to look for the name of Songstad. I am hesitant to obtain any more records through the library, because it is extremely pricey. I paid about 200 dollars for this information. I'm disappointed, but at least I know that I didn't miss an opportunity to get some information about my relative.

Brian Tothero (bltothero@aol.com)

15. bltothero

bltothero New Member

Stefan,

I just found the date of transfer for your relative in the battalion personnel records from the Eisenhower Library. It simply states that he was assigned to the battalion on 3 January 1945. I can scan a copy and email it to you.

Brian

16. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Brian, Songstad hasn't been here in a while. Your research is highly prized, however, Perhaps an email from you might encourage him to rejoin us. Thanks for posting what you have.

17. Ryan Crum

Ryan Crum recruit

Hello all!

I can hardly believe that my original post 10yrs ago turned into all this. I picked up my efforts again recently and my original post. I found the information Greenfrog (Howard) posted and found it most helpful.

Thank you all for your help!
    Ryan Crum

greenfrog likes this.
  18. songstad

songstad recruit

Hello,

Thanks for doing a search for me Brian! I did a little searching for you. It looks like your grandpa was from PA. The PA state archives have a set of records that might help you. They are called the WW2 veterans compensation applications - Series 19.92. Your grandpa probably applied for a bonus after the war. This record might list the Company he was is in. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/rg/sd/r19sd2.htm

You could also try searching local newspapers from during the war years. Your grandpa's family lived in Berks County, PA. Perhaps there was some mention of him in the paper. The Berks County historical society might have an index for newspapers.

Sorry I didn't have more luck,

Stefan

19. bltothero

bltothero New Member

Thanks, Stefan. I sent you an email about the two individuals in Batt D that you were looking for. I found the casualty report for one of them. I could not find anything out about the other individual. I'll keep looking, but it might take a couple of weeks.

20. bltothero

bltothero New Member

Stefan,

I found the following additional information:

PVT Begich reported to the 431st Batt D on 22 February 1944.
    PVT Begich was promoted to PFC on 1 February 1945.

I didn't see anything else other than the information passed via email.

Brian