Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

436th FA Battalion

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Slipdigit, Jun 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

nice story man

2. Stuka87

Stuka87 recruit

Thank ya for sharing, Billy .. Bless you.

3. Billyjim

Billyjim WWII Veteran

Stuka87:

You're welcome. BTW, with each passing year it becomes more obvious to me that (conventional) warfare no longer solves anything ... guerrilla tactics and the threat of nuclear engagement negate the mass military strategies of yesteryear. Where will it all end? The only place left for the likes of me to investigate is the spiritual realities, generally pooh-poohed by The Powers That Be AND The 'Common Man.' Nevertheless, "Today" is a great place to be .... I wouldn't miss it for the life of me.:evillaugh:

Bill

4. leebingate

leebingate recruit

[​IMG] re: 436th FA Battalion
    Hey, Slip -- JW -- tnx again for the prompt response. So I will use "y'all" -- it's one of the reasons I feel at home here in the South. I moved from Wyoming in '98, because of my concerns for Y2K, to a 1-acre parcel in NW Tennessee, in Greenfield. Then I met my present wife on the internet, and like a nail-to-a-magnet within 5 days I was knocking on Jean's door, in Hanceville, AL. The rest is history. I even wrote a song for her, titled "The South Is My Home."

Actually since I was about 9 years old there was something about the "Big Bad Apple" that didn't fit for me. Didn't figure it out till 1965 when I escaped. Went West for 35 years. Since '98 I've realized that I should have been born in the South --- it just fits my personality better (much to the dismay of my two ultra-liberal sons -- typical of the younger generation :eek:.)

Pictures? Yeah, I've got 5 boxes of memoirs I've got to start sorting out TODAY. Will have to find those pics of me in Fort Sill, OK, and my Dad and me in Uniform in Dec '44 while he was on leave and I on furlough. Also may have a few pics of other guys in basic training.

5. 980th

980th Member

The way you are telling your story has me waiting for the next part. You are doing just fine.

Heather

6. 980th

980th Member

My grandfather was in the 980th FA Bn, so it's nice to read another FA soilders story.

Heather

Attached Files:

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome to this fine thread 980th. I hope Billyjim will return soon, I haven't heard of him for while

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Geez, I missed this back then. Thanks for the reply. I hope you're still singing. ...Humming at least. Three cheers for Billyjim: hip hip-hooray! hip hip-hooray! hip hip-hooray !

9. Billyjim

Billyjim WWII Veteran

POPPY:

Hi! Yeah, when I ck out the daily news --- wars, GOM oil spill, politicians doing their thing, what's happening to the America I grew up in .............. well that's when I start humming, singing, or whistling --- takes my mind off the headlines. :eek:

Blessings!

Bill

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Mr. Bill,

I did not realize you still passed through from time to time. It is good to know that you are well.

How are things in your part of this great state, besides blistering hot?

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I wonder too. Maybe things were always bad. Now we can access more bad news faster. There's not a whole lot of good news broadcast because it doesn't rate high enough. I guess we should look harder for the good stuff. Cheers.

12. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

I agree, with all the garbage that the news spews out, it's an extra effort to find what makes us "hum, sing or whistle".

13. Billyjim

Billyjim WWII Veteran

Hey, guys, ------ "back from the dead" :dance4: Actually I'm back to tell you who that guy I pseudonym'd with "Charlie" --- the guy with PTSD from shooting that unarmed 15-year old German kid in Bastogne '45. I mentioned that I helped get him thru the PTSD, and that, later, he went on to be world famous in the entertainment industry --- and that I'd identify him after he passed.

Well he passed sometime late last year. His name was Robert Sherman. He (and his brother Dick) wrote the script, the lyrics, and the wonderful hit songs in "Mary Poppins" -- a Walt Disney giant hit back in the I think '70s. He and Dick also composed many more of Disney's hit musicals. Just think-- to get over that nightmare that he was part of in WW2 -- to create such loving, charming, works of musical art. Bravo! And God Bless, Bob, up there watching over us.

Bill

briannalinette likes this.