Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

43rd Infantry Division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ceejay, Feb 14, 2010.

1. ceejay

ceejay Member

Looking for any information regarding Harry or Harold Preston who served with the 43rd Infantry Division in the south Pacific in 1943/44. Thanks

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. ceejay

ceejay Member

Thanks Lou, I will have a look at those sites.
    ceejay

4. Hyrek3

Hyrek3 recruit

Hello all, I am new to the forum and have been doing some research. Can anyone help me find out as to which regiment my grandfather, Florian A. Hyrek 43rd Infantry division, was in? I have been doing research and have used some websites as recommended...no results yet. My grandfather has passed and I have been trying to put something together for my father. Thanks for all the help fellas!

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Hyrek3, would you happen to have your grandfather's separation papers? If you do we might be able to determine from that. If not, look at the sticky, "requesting copies of military service records" at the beginning of this section. That should will get you started. I looked at the table of contents of the "43rd ID Unit History" that Russ posted a link for, but didn't find a unit roster. A unit roster is usually located in the Regimental histories but would take up too much room in the Division histories. Without knowing the Regiment, you're best bet is to get his records. Let us know if we can help further.

6. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

My great uncle was also in this division. I'm still in the process of finding out more about it, but anything I find, I'll gladly send you the links so maybe you can benefit as well. As others stated, a copy of his discharge papers would be the most helpful. I'm having trouble finding which company my great uncle was in, I only know he was responsible for some sort of small morter. I did read some of what the 43rd did in the book called something like War in the Philippines. My dad is reading it at the moment so I'll need to look at it later and get the correct title.

7. Hyrek3

Hyrek3 recruit

Ok...I did some searching around the web and.....nothing. All I have is his ID# (Social Security) and I dont have much else. Other than...Hyrek, Florian A. HQ, 43d Infantry Division, G.O. No. 349 (1945) Would the G.O. number help at all? What does this indicate? Thanks again for everything.

8. LRusso216

9. Hyrek3

Hyrek3 recruit

Perfect. Checked NARA and found his enlistment records but nothing else left...Damn, this is turning out to be a bit more difficult that I had imagined.

10. LRusso216

Go back to the website and download the SF-180 form and send it in with the relevant information. You will hear back from them with more than you have.

11. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Yes, the G.O. should tell you which regiment/unit he belonged to and the Medal awarded by the G.O.

To obtain G.O. 349 of 1945, send an email to the NARA:

Archives2reference@nara.gov

There may be a charge but i doubt it.

By the way, in case you did not know, CARL has digitized in three parts the History of the Division
    by James Zimmer:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/p4013coll8&CISOPTR=3018&REC=4

Dave

12. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Krystal, you may have been thinking of "Triumph in the Philippines."

HyperWar: US Army in WWII: Triumph In the Philippines

Dave

13. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Yes, that is the one. Thanks for the correction. It is a thick book and has TONS of information on each division that fought there. I was impressed with it, it read more as a history book and I prefer more details from the soldiers themselves, but did get alot of questions answered.

14. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Also just read the History of the 43rd that I found on Amazon. Very informative book that tells just about everything the 43rd did in the Pacific. Great book and I highly recommend it.

15. jmpichler

jmpichler recruit

My Dad Peter G. Pichler served in F Co 169th 43d Inf Div in WW 2 as a rifleman, he was wounded twice. The first time by a mortar shell. The second time by a Japanese hand gernade during fighting around Arundel. After that he was not returned to combat and finished up his army time as a truck driver with the 3348th QM truck co. He passed away in 1978. I was able to find a lot of information on the 43d at the Carlisle Barracks Library. I also sent along to the library copies of information that I had. Retired Col Howie Brown of the 43d Inf Div Veterans Association also was kind enough to provide me with information. He was also able to help me get in touch with Mr. Gilaberto and Mr Sam Lamagna who my Dad served with, unfortunately, I think they passed away several years ago. I know that copies of some of their papers are at Carlisle Barracks. Carlisle Barracks is located near Harrisburg , PA It is well worth the visit if you are in the area.

Tom L likes this.
  16. Info Hunter

Info Hunter recruit

My Dad, Arthur James Ward (Art), was in Co. F of the 169th Regiment, 43rd Infantry Div. He was seriously wounded at the battle of Munda in the summer of 1943. My Dad passed a few years ago and I found a copy of a World WarTime Life Book, "Island Fighting" by Rafael Steinberg in his belongings. There is a section about Munda and the 43rd, a National Guard division from New England.
    While researching further, I found a reference to a book, "Silent Victory: WWII Fox-Company, 169th Regimental Combat Team, 43rd Infantry Division" by Sam LaMagna. Amazon.com says it is out of print. Do you know where I can find a copy?

17. harrymarlowe

harrymarlowe recruit

my grandfather Harry P Marlowe was in the 169th company C. He was a staff sargent did anyone know him.

18. MDJ696

MDJ696 Member

Got message from Indy 147 looking for pic of his grandfather. I found him in my Camp Shelby book. Can't seem to get hold of him. Just today I've been able to log on WWII forum. Anyone know where I can find him?

19. BMason

BMason recruit

Hello, my father Wesley Mason (90 years of age) was a Staff Sgt with the 43rd, 169th regiment, Service Company. For his birthday gift this year, he asked that I try to contact members that may know him... or have served with around him. He would like to chat with anyone still left. You can contact me at blm09@comcast.net

20. BMason

BMason recruit

I will ask my father if he knew him. My father was a Staff Sgt with Service Company.