Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

441st Bomb Squad, 320th Bomb Group Patches & Insignia

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by dga99, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dga99

dga99 Member

What type of shoulder patches, insignia, pins, etc would have been worn by a PFC in the ground support crew of the 441st Bomb Squadron of the 320th Bomb Group in the Army Air Force in 1945 in WWII? I'm trying to replace all that my father would have worn to display them in a shadow box along with his mddals.

2. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

The 441st Bombardment Sqd patch was two designs , and of the two they each had variations, the early first version was a round patch with the US shape and a scroll going across it with the motto "Finis Origine Pendet" and above the US was a small shiel like device, and to the lower left on the US shape was the propeller/wing design of the USAAF, the second design , had a round background split into four equal sections and had a top view of a B-26 Maruader, with a scroll same motto across it , and upper right a small shield, lower left the winged prop .
    The 320th Bombardment Group patch was of a winged alligator in flight on a squared shield with a scroll motto tab at it's bottom with the words "Forever Battlin" on it .
    If you would like leather patches made of these emblems , please contact me for more info .
    Johnny

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Here is a picture of what Johnny described.

[​IMG]

4. Buten42

Buten42 Member

dga99, The 320th Bomb Group was attached to the 12th Air Force beginning in 1943. The members of the 320th would have worn the 12th AF shoulder patch-(an upside down triangle with the Air Force insigna and a "12" in the red center) on the left shoulder.

The flying dragon ( alligator) as shown in the link B-26 320th Bomb Group History would be the 320th BG unit crest or DUI and would be worn either on the shoulder strap or the lapel. The patch for the 441st Bombardment Squad--I believe-- would be a patch worn on the leather flight jacket--this would not be an offical part of the Class A uniform.
    I'm not well versed on the AAF uniform and stand corrected, but the AAF was part of the U.S. Army until after the war and the uniforms would be regulated the same. The lapel brass would be a disk with "US" on one side and the AAF brass on the other. I'd need to know how long he was overseas to know how many overseas (service) bars he would have.

5. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member

This is only one of several "variations" of this specific units emblem
    Johnny

6. Johnny Signor

Johnny Signor Member