Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

46th Field Artillery

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by SBellian, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SBellian

SBellian New Member

I am looking for any information available on Captain James L. Kincaid or the 46th Field Artillery during 1945 (occupation). In May of 1945, Kincaid stayed at the home of Nazi Gauleiter Franz Hofer of Tyrol Vorarlberg (Lachhof bei Hall) in Innsbruck (Austria). Hofer was the regional Nazi leader and Kincaid appropriated a number of items from his home, including firearms and multiple reels of 8 mm film. We're working with Texas Tech University to see what's on the film right now.

The trunk also included a cuff title and other insignia which almost certainly belonged to medical officer with Sans.-Abt. XXXVI (SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger). Would the 46th FA have encountered these sadistic psychopaths? I know Capt. Kincaid was all over Italy and also in North Africa before he arrived in Austria.

I am working to re-trace Kincaid's steps between 1943 and 1945. He also served (I believe) with the 7th Army HQ Intelligence (this may not be correct).

I am presently collecting quite a lot of information if anyone else is interested in this subject.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. SBellian

SBellian New Member

Here is a scan of the letter where he specifically mentions their location and the Beretta. I have attached photos of two of the guns. I'd like more information on them if possible. I know the pictures are a little dark and blurry. This is what the owner provided:

Mauser:
    Mauser -Werke A.G. Oberndorf a.N
    Mod.HSc. Kal.7.65 mm

Schuss:
    7,75 COURT 9 COUPS "UNIQUE"
    Manufacture d'armes des Pyrenees, Hendaye
    Stamp on both sides of stock says
    765M/M and 9 Schuss

Beretta:
    P Beretta-Cal.9 Corto -M 1934-Brevet
    GARDONE V.T. 1943 -XXI

Attached Files:

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome to the forum SBellian, there may be someone on here who might be able to help. Takes time but be patient and keep us posted on what you find. Sounds very interesting.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

5. SBellian

SBellian New Member

Thanks for that! I'm already in touch with the manager of the website. He's looking too.

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

They may be your best bet, since he served with that unit.

7. GAR

GAR recruit

These are some really neat items and an interesting history to research. I highly recommend both the operational records from College Park where you might get lucky and find Battalion or below records. Also, Company morning reports will often show map coordinates which can be translated into GPS coordinates and plugged in to google earth. This is one way to track a unit HQ and its movements/locations. At times these can also add some depth or even stand in for company journals, most which NARA threw away(sadly).