Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

473rd Infantry

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by LRusso216, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith New Member

Very interesting and good to know. Thanks for taking a look for me! There isn't a whole lot of info out there so you really have to dig deep. I think it's neat that I even found this thread. Thanks again! I really like the shadow box you created.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. Nora vollintine

Nora vollintine New Member

I'm looking fir I'my grandpa's stuff as oneine sold it we didn't it's sad we would like to buy it back it's a we have as my dad is gone as well his purple heart the cig case he has in him where he took his shot that killed him and pictures as well . Thank you he was the seargent for the 473rd infentryim trying to figure how to post one of the pieces that states his name and the battle over the hill in Italy

3. Nora vollintine

My grandpa was Earl russellvollintine his squad leader here is a clipping in looking for my grandpa's stuff someone selling it on a site trying to find it . We never sold this stuff we are looking for it . Please help me find our things they are priceless.

Attached Files:

seacon likes this.
  4. Nora vollintine

And I'm posting on this site hoping to find out about my grandpa since my dad didn't know him either but he to has passed and we just don't know where his things went except that one of the kids found it on a site and the site is gone now but the cig holder has a hole through it .

seacon likes this.
  5. seacon

seacon Member

Googmorning Nora
    T-4 EARL R. VOLLINTINE, ASN 36058868, from F COY, 2nd Bn/473rd Inf. Regt., was born on august 18th, 1921. Earl was killed in action on april 14th, 1945, while fighting on Hill 366 (Santa Lucia Hill, near Carrara, Italy). F Coy had orders to reach the village of Fontia, half way up the hill. I can probably provide a little more info. do you have any photograph of your grandfather during the war?
    The following files show Fontia, right after the war and a few relics found in the village from a fellow collector.
    Marcello Biava
    473rd Veteran Association Historian

6. seacon

seacon Member

Googmorning Nora
    This is Fontia, right after the war. The roofs have been repaired. 2nd Bn came up, largely unopposed, by the small ruined buildings on the far right.
    fontia per leroy.png
    Behind the ridge was this mortar that the Germans used to hold off the attacking Americans.
    mortaio ex russo.jpg
    Marcello Biava
    473rd Veteran Association Historian

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi Marcello. Are you the fellow who worked with Patrick Audinet? I have some information about my father's service in Company K of the 473rd. They would have their own reunions in the 50s and 60s. I attended some of them as a child. I made a shadow box showing the medals and patches he had. The only thing I am missing is the blue, theater-made rocker. If you have one, I would love to own it.
    Anyway, it was good of you to respond. Check my media files to see the shadow box and some pictures.

8. seacon

seacon Member

IMG_0847 - Copia.JPG
    German and American helmets recovered on hill 366.
    tunnel fontia.jpg
    Geman positions in Fontia

Nora vollintine likes this.
  9. seacon

seacon Member

Yup, Mr Russo, that's me.
    Good luck on the rocker. One, belonging to PFC Jaques, from Regimental HQ just sold on ebay for $456.00!
    Have a nice day
    Marcello Biava
    473rd Veteran association Historian

10. seacon

seacon Member

Super!

11. Nora vollintine

I'm looking for our items someone sold the man that had them was told they was stolen we have proff my father committed suicide with the cig holder of his father's my grandpa's stuff came up missing we want it back we are looking for it we did not want to sell it and the post shows that the guy said he be back in 2 wks and never contacted us as we was pressing charges on who ever stole it it is not for sale we are looking for it thank you

12. Nora vollintine

Yes sir I have his picture I hope to find who bought his things and had them on a site they was stolen we would never get rid of those things a his items buckles badges pictures purple heart allhis things please go me get them back we suspicion that my brother that was mentally ill sold them part of them he committed suicide as well but I was told that the guy borrow for a display and didn't give back please that's all I have of my father and grandfather and I just found a brother last Friday too all out of all the research I don'e so hopefully a happy ending I find they guy with the post that went under irish

13. Nora vollintine

I keep trying to send a picture of him but says file to big can I email it to you thank you

14. Nora vollintine

Does anyone on here have anything with earl russell vollintine to sell me he is my Grandpa

15. seacon

seacon Member

16. seacon

seacon Member

Hi Matt
    the 473rd Eng Maintenance was a different unit, unrelated to the 473rd Inf Regt.

17. Nora vollintine

Also are the helmets ingraved with there names In them? I'm new to this and looking for stuff of my grandfather the belt pc and anything that was his my grandson was the one just got deported on Tues Jan 24th to Afganastan so it's very much meaning to me as is his things after he comes home thank you

18. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Not of much help, I know, but I came across this post from 10 years ago. Thought it might be of interest.

This thread motivated me to pull this group of items out and post. They belonging to Sgt Earl Vollintine who was killed by a German sniper near Massa, Italy April 7th 1945. Earl was one of two brothers killed in the war. His brother Ken had been killed on Mindanao in June of 1944. Both brothers were from a small farming community approx 75 miles south of me in Illinois. These items came from the family. Earl was a squad leader in the U.S. 473rd Infantry Regiment. The local newspaper had reported that Earl's squad had been ordered to take a hill near the town of Massa...After taking the hill they had moved 6 miles further. He had just been given an order to continue the advance when he was shot

The cigarette case had been in a chest pocket with a small group of photos he had received from home. In this case the photo shows Earl's mother and his infant son..... As you can see the bullet passed through the case and the photo.

I had not seen the marked envelopes before. I had been under the assumption that certain items were not sent home if too graphic.

First time posting any of these items.....But now it seems to be keeping his name alive in some way.

Jack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Nora vollintine

Yes these are the items.can you tell me who has them? Please

20. Nora vollintine

Yes that's my grandma and dad love this picture ❤️ hadn't seen it for yrs to it popped up on site .thank you very much hope to someday soon hold the items in honor of my grandpa as we as my dad.