Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

500 th Combat Engineers Light Pontoon

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by jon michonski, Aug 20, 2002.

1. jon michonski

jon michonski recruit

My Grandfather served with 500th Combat Engineer Company Light Pontoon Company. I am trying to find out any information regarding his unit history during the war. The internet has led me nowhere. The DOD sent me a copy of his deployment record off of microfilm..thats really the only info I have received. Does any one have any tips or websites that could help me out? Thanks, Jon Michonski.

2. jon michonski

jon michonski recruit

My Grandfather served with the 500th Combat Engineers Light Pontoon Company during the war. I have not been able to find any information on the web regarding his unit. I do have some information such as his state side deployment and his landing in La Harve in Sept. of '44. Does any body out there have any tips or websites that could help me out? I am so frustrated!!!!! Thanks , Jon Michonski.

Bbeiderman likes this.
  3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forums. Try to get in touch with this guy:

500th Engr Det
    Mr. David Mely
    1230 80th Ave, NE Minneapolis, MN 55432-2042
    612-786-0964
    LEXI1714@aol.com

He run an association for 500 Combat Eng. Vets from VietNam, but I think he might be able to help you get in touch with the WW2 vets organisation as well.

Also go to this page. http://thames.northnet.org/488thengineers/Genesis.html It is a story about the Light Pontoon Coys, but the 500th is not mentioned. Are you right about the number?

Good hunting and let us know how you got on!

Jonathan E Michonski likes this.
  4. wrolland1

wrolland1 New Member

My Father-in-Law drove a truck in this outfit and I don't much about it either. If I learn anything I'll let you know

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Jon hasn't been around for 13 years. He did start a duplicate thread which got a response that you may find interesting.

www.ww2f.com/topic/361-500th-combat-engineers-light-pontoon-company/

I don't know if the contact info is still good, but it may be worth a try. The web page link provided at the end is dead.

6. Bbeiderman

Bbeiderman New Member

My Dad served in the Combat Engineers 500th Light Pontoon Co. They landed in La Havre, FR. I have his scrapbook, uniform, medals, daily orders and the map of their route through France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Since he had patches from several different armies, I believe that they were moved around as needed. He was with Bradley, Patton.

7. Bbeiderman

Bbeiderman New Member

8. Bbeiderman

Bbeiderman New Member

My Dad also drove a 21/2 ton truck in the 500th. I posted in the other thread. I have his uniform, scrapbook, medals, daily orders and map of their travels from La Havre, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland and Germany. He wrote an article published in Reminisce Magazine about some events in Holland.
    His name is Charles Beiderman. He was a Technical Corporal. He was from Philadelphia. He passed away here in Williamsburg, VA in 2011.

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I merged these threads.

10. Jonathan E Michonski

Jonathan E Michonski New Member

Hello all. I’m the original poster from this thread and it’s certainly been a while. I forgot my original login info so had to create a new account with my new email. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

11. Jonathan E Michonski

Just posted in this thread since my absence. I do recall my grandfather saying he did land in La Harve I believe in Sept 1944 and also recall him saying his unit was attached to the British 2nd Army. Does this sound familiar to you guys?

12. Greg Overschmidt

Greg Overschmidt New Member

My grandfather was a part of this unit I believe and operated assault boats among other duties like many. He landed at La Harve and talked a lot about the Elbe and Rhine rivers when he talked about it at all. His discharge papers say that he received the Bronze Star. His name was Alfred Walker, he died in 1982 when I was 22. I now have a box of memorabilia he left, along with a Nazi bayonet, etc. and medals which I remember he said they took off of prisoners. I Wish I would have asked more questions. I have spent the last 30 years learning everything I can about the War and just wanted to share what little I know about his service in hope of the chance that it makes a connection with anyone. We have not been able to find out what the medal was for and he never mentioned it.

13. Jonathan E Michonski

Hey Greg. Your grandfathers story sounds very similar to my grandfathers. If you want send me your email address and I’ll send you the info that I have about the 500th.

14. Jonathan E Michonski

Hi Greg. Sounds like both of our grandfathers have very similar stories. Send e your email address and I’ll send you all of the info I have about the 500th.

15. Greg Overschmidt

Greg Overschmidt New Member

Thank you sir, I can't tell you how much I would appreciate any information you have for sure. My Mom at 89 would be overjoyed to learn anything she can. I wish I had more to share with you, She does have some letters with names of Army friends he wrote with after the war. I will try to go through those and shartte the last names hear to see if they jog any memories. We are from St. Louis area in MO. My email is greg@kwchambers.com.