Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

531st Engineer Shore Regiment & 3053rd Engineer Combat Batallion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by sandy1369, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Annie McDonnell

Annie McDonnell New Member

This is my first communication for this site. My father was Gerald Elmer McDonnell (Mac, Jerry) and a member of the 531st. I recall I had a list of names of men he fought with...not w/me now but will send when I pick it up. He also was in north Africa, Gela, Paestum, Salerno, Anzio, Normandy (Utah Beach), St. Lo, Ste. Mere Eglise, through France (the Ardennes) to Belgium and Germany with the Bulge. Prior to the invasion he was in England creating maps for the invasion from aerial photographs. He had written poems and drawn pictures for a Christmas card. He also drew and described enemy mines and how to diffuse them. Can anyone help me fill in the holes? He would tell funny stories but very few stories about things which haunted him. I will try to get all in order and forward anything I have to those who want it. He also had a publication about the size of an old Life magazine by another member of the 531st. I was under the impression that all recode for his time were lost in a fire. Can anyone confirm? Hope to hear from anyone who can help. Thanks in advance, Annie M.

2. sunstreaker

sunstreaker recruit

NARA will likely claim his records were lost in the fire, however there are still methods to obtain his records.
    Do you have his dd 214? (See attachment)
    That’s really the starting point for tracking down his service info.
    Here is a link on how to obtain if you’re unable to find it.
    Request Military Service Records

Here is a link for the researcher I used to track down all of my grandpa’s records(after action reports, morning reports, etc). Worth every penny.
    Golden Arrow Research-Research a Veteran

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  3. sunstreaker

sunstreaker recruit

Sicily after action reports

Attached Files: