Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

67 Years Ago... RAF Combat Report 21 April 1942

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1939 - 1942' started by texson66, Apr 20, 2009.

1. texson66

texson66 Ace

Some action by the RAF Malta..... remember to check six!

Transcript of report on engagement on 21 April 1942

COMBAT REPORT
    Date: 21-4-42
    Squadron: 126 No. of Machines: Four[struck through] Two
    Number of enemy aircraft: Four
    Type of enemy aircraft: ME 109 F
    Time attack was delivered: 0845 hours.
    Place attack was delivered: 3-4 miles[?] south of Kalafiona[?]
    Number of Fighter flights which took part:
    Height of enemy: 18 000 ft
    Time engagement finished: 0900 hours.
    Height engagement finished: 1500 ft.
    Enemy casualties: 1 ME 109 F destroyed
    1 ME 109 F damaged.
    Our casualties (A) Aicraft: 1 Spitfire V.C. damaged in port wing by
    cannon shell
    (B) Personnel: Nil
    General report: I was flying number 2 in Wombat[?] White Section, to
    P/O [Pilot Officer] Peck, when we were jumped by 4 109Fs at 18,000 ft
    I took evasive action, aileron turning down to about 6,000 ft
    and about 7 miles north of Grand Harbour. Here, one of
    the four e/a [enemy aircraft] which had folowed me down, crossed my nose in a climbing turn to the left, at a range of about 150 yds.
    I followed him round, opening fire with 4 cannons, observing strikes along top of main plane & fuselage. After about 2 seconds, port cannons ceased firing, & I continued firing with starboard guns for 2-3 more seconds. The e/a ceased turning, & went down in a steady[?] dive to sea, northwards. I then broke off the engagement, to cover my own tail for a few seconds. I then saw a large splash on the surface, & the e/a was seen for a few seconds just under [deleted] water before disappearing. A little while later another[?] 109 F attacked me from astern. I turned sharply starboard, & then when he overshot, turned back and opened fire with one starboard cannon as he climbed. Fire for about 6 seconds & saw strikes along bottom of fuselage, range 150-200 yds before breaking off. I was then attacked from behind & struck in the port wing with a cannon shell, partly jamming my ailerons. [deleted]
    I took evasive action, & the remaining e/a broke off the engagement
    as I crossed the coast at about 1500 ft near Sliema.

Station: Ta Kali Signed: A R Goldsmith

Dated: 24-4-42
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ta' Qali airfield had been laid down on the bed of an ancient lake. In pre-war times it had been used by civil airlines, its main customer being the Italian Ala Littoria. Its grassy surface, like Hal Far, deteriorated quickly in bad weather whilst in summer it turned to baked earth.

By the time Italy entered hostilities in June 1940 obstructions were positioned around the airfield to prevent airborne landings. On 30th October instructions were received at Hal Far from HQ Mediterranean Command for Wing Commander J R O'Sullivan to proceed to the airport with a small HQ staff, with the task of forming a one-squadron fighter station there. On 8th November 1940 the airport became RAF Station Ta' Qali, with No.261 Sqn moving in from Luqa on 20th November. Wing Commander J Warfield took over as Station Commander on 16th May 1941. A few days later No.249 Squadron arrived from the UK to replace No.261 Squadron. No.249 Squadron was to become the top ¬scoring squadron on Malta, claiming also the 1000th enemy aircraft to fall to the Malta defences. Ta' Qali airfield was subjected to heavy bombing during the course of the war.

2. texson66

texson66 Ace