Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

6ft of Snow in a Week

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Mussolini, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

So, no secret as to where I live (Ski Town). We've had up to 6ft of snow over the last week - but since its been so warm, it was really wet, heavy snow. It famously shut down a 26 mile stretch of I-70 near Vail last week with an avalanche. Over the weekend here, we had several avalanches on our local mountains.

Mile-wide section of Highlands Ridge slides, damages home

The link takes you to the article and some footage/images. No one recorded the BIG ONE but it was a 1-mile-wide section of the mountain that came down. 1 MILE!!!! That is insane (and probably some sort of record). The video shows what most avalanches look like, so imagine what a 1-mile one would have looked like. Of course, it gets funneled into, well, funnels based on the terrain.

Those last images are of it. Keep in mind that most of what you see there was all trees prior to the slide. The trail-crews this spring, once the snow melts, will see how bad the hiking trails are (if they exist anymore) in that region. One of the areas hit was one of the most popular hikes - to the Conundrum Hot Springs - so will be interesting to see if the downed trees are covering the path.

We're always a high-avalanche risk out here and were in the highest rating - Extreme - for the end of last week and for good reason!

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

global warming lol.
    it was damn cold here. set a record the other week.
    -50 c wind chill is something most people cant comprehend.
    starting to hate living here.
    "the snow is beautiful ", says people who dont have to shovel metric tonnes of it.
    cheers M, feel your pain.

3. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Poppy, you crack me up. Warm water = more snow. Deadly in Colorado. 5 so far? Another two buried and killed by snow sliding off the roof just last week.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I saw a gravel avalanche once. The boffins told us that once the bouncing starts the components just ricochet off each other and add to overall velocity. It was rather noisy.

5. Mussolini

We've had 3 locals killed by Avalanches this season already, all in the backcountry.

We've had something like 80+ inches of snow in March already, but because the daytime temps have been around 40'f (t-shirt weather) its been really wet snow, which has caused these avalanches. Over the weekend, our main water supply was hampered by a few of them that 'plugged' up the rivers for a short while before the water made its way through. Thats the big concern for us right now - the water for town being cut off by avalanches.

Its warm again today but in the next 48 hours or so we're expecting another foot of wet snow up here.

Some of the chutes haven't seen avalanche activity in 100+ years, to give an idea how crazy things are right now out here. The water content of the snow is 140% of 'normal' for this time of year.

Our local big river is called the Roaring Fork...because the stones in it are constantly moving (an avalanche almost) so it 'roars'. I can hear it from my house and I'm a good 5 - 10 min walk uphill from the actual river.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

dont they dynamite those snow packs that endanger highways down there M?
    Alberta/bc are always dropping TNT or shelling with recoiless rifles any snow that threatens.

W12- gore said 20 years ago NYC would be under water by now. many predictions and fear mongering in order to make money off a sham.
    no amount of taxation or wealth "redistribution" will change the fact that our sun dictates our weather/climate.
    the north pole is off its hook. wandering around like a drunken sailor.
    going to tax magnetic north lol

7. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Guess the upside is that we're all gonna die. The Highway Dept here uses a lot of explosives on I-90 through Snoqualmie Pass I travel it a couple times a week as my son and his family lives there. I-90 will be closed for an hour or more while the avy removal debris is cleared off the highway They bomb with packages tossed by hired ski mountaineers. They use artillery. There is even a small tent on a pole next to the highway at one spot with a stationary bicycle in it. The front wheel of the bike acts as a pulley for a line that runs up the mountain to a fixed pulley. They hook a bomb to the line and blow it at the correct spot to bring things down. The ski area at the pass blows about 20 bombs every morning at about 7:30. A local makes some nice lamps with the shell casings. I love the sound of bombs in the morning as long as they're not in coming. :)

8. Mussolini

I know they dropped 400 bombs just on Highlands Bowl area during March so far. They only fly the Heli's in the out-of-bounds areas (which they did after the mile wide slide) otherwise Ski Patrol here goes around and throws bombs in various places. Too much area/national park around us to bomb everything though. Not to mention affect on wildlife. I think they use 10lb bombs here (on a timer I would imagine).

We're supposed to be getting about another foot over the next 24 hours or so. Pretty warm in town again today (t-shirt weather) so it'll probably be wet again.

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Poppy, Poppy, Poppy...You've been removing too much snow with a straw instead of a shovel

It wasn't 20 years ago, but 10 or less...2007-2009...Or are you aging in dog years or something.

He did not "predict" that the ice caps would be gone, he used a US Navy study - or more to the point, a Naval Postgraduate School study, that predicted the melt would occur between 2013-2040.

It's not "wealth distribution" in the sense of taking from the rich and giving to the poor, but "wealth distribution" in money instead of going to one big company, now going to another big company.

It has always been, and shall forever be...The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the middle class gets screwed(we pay for everybody).

The sun is only one factor in weather...If the sun suddenly went out, we would still have weather. Jupiter has hardly any sun, but they still have plenty of weather.

Cheers!

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmmm...the weather would be minimal...The Sun or Sol equals energy, the only other source of energy is the molten centre of a planet revolving...Without energy the universe is dark and cold...darkness and cold need no generator.

11. Otto

Otto Gearing up. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I hope you don't get smothered in snow Musso, stay safe and of course don't eat the yellow variety.

I had my fill of snow in Canada and Chicago. I've not see a single flake of the stuff since my move to Texas. I'm quite happy with that thanks. :)

CAC likes this.
  12. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

If the snow gets too heavy don't worry because we'll send Skorzeny and a Fiesler Storch to break you out from your mountaintop exile.

Otto and CAC like this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

You think you're safe in Texas Otto?

upload_2019-3-14_14-29-16.jpeg
    This is Uluru July 11th 1997...this is desert country!

[​IMG]

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

not cool, the snow/straw reference, t.
    hard drugs are a bane.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

16. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Yesterday was highest temperature ever recorded on a winter day where I live. And this is the first winter in 15 years with enough snow that there was enough snow that I could ski on the old railroad bed behind the house.