Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

7.5cm FK 7M85

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by yan taylor, May 10, 2011.

1. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Hi, I have come across this weapon and I need some info please, the weapon in the 7.5cm FK 7M85 and I need to know which firm built it (Rheinmetall or Krupp ?) how many were actually produced and because it used the same barrel as the 75mm L/46 Pak 40 did it have the same tank killing performance. Because it came late in the war (1945) was it motorised and I suppose it had a crew of say 7.
    Regards Yan.

2. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Germa 75mm guns, there seems to be no end of them.

AFAIK the 7.5cm FK 7M85 was an attempt to produce a dual use field gun/AT gun and used the same ammo as the Pak 40 so should have the same AT performance. As the Pak 40 was a Rheinmetall design I expect this one was one too. AFAIK the gun was a hybrid using the modified version of Pak 40 carriage originally meant for the 105mm sFH, it probably wasn't produced in large numbers (one source states only 10!) as simply increasing the elevation of the basic Pak 40 carriage gave similar results wirh less complications (7.5cm FK 7M59). I have found a source that state the 7.5cm FK 7M85 was an L43 rather than an L46 which could mean it used the shorter and thicker ammo case of the L43 and L48 tank guns.

AFAIK the L48 was made when it was discovered the KwK 40/L43, that had the same barrel as the Pak 40/L46 but a shorter and wider firing chamber (to make ammo handling inside a vehicle easier) , tended to jam using the same power charge as the field carriage so a slightly longer barrel was produced to compensate for the necessary reduction in propellant charge, despite this the Pak had marginally better performance than the KwK.

yan taylor likes this.
  3. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Thanks TOS, there not much info on these 75mm field guns used by the German Army in the early part WW2, I guess most were relegated to either reserve units or fortifications, these are the ones I have so far.
    7.5cm FK 16 nA (no amount)
    7.5cm FK 18 (1.524 in use)
    7.5cm FK 38 (80 in use)
    7.5cm FK 7M85 (maybe 10 made)
    I guess they were all Horse drawn and had a crew of 7.
    Thanks Yan.

4. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

It's unlikely a vehicle mounted design was envisioned as the Pak 40 for AT or the StuK 40 for assault guns were already available.
    I think one of the reasons for development that led to the 7.5cm FK 7M85, besides a desire for a dual use weapon like the soviet 76, was that the leFH 18 105mm was too heavy for horse traction with the horses the Germans had available by 1943, most of the better animals had been lost by then.
    A 7 men crew looks large, AFAIK the standard crew for the leFH was just 5.
    When a vehicle was available the leFH would still be a better choice or even better the fully tracked Wespe.

5. yan taylor

yan taylor Member

Thanks TOS, I think the standard vehicle to tow the 7.5cm Pak 40 & 10.5cm leFH was the Sd.Kfz 11 but they could not be supplied in any available amount, The SS, Panzer Grenedier and Panzer Divisions got the bulk of them, along with any other Trucks or half-tracks what was around at the time, the standard Infantry Division had to do with Horses, I think they used a team of six to tow the 7.5cm and 10.5cm, I think they even used horses to tow the Medium guns and howitzers, they may have had eight horses, some times in two or three teams if the gun was split into two or three units.
    Oh one last thing, do you know how many 7.5cm FK 16 nA were in use when they converted them from 7.7cm in 1934.
    Regards Yan.