Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

83rd Infantry Division AAR (After Action Report) "Journals" - Source?

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by RiverdaleDIY, Jan 4, 2023.

1. RiverdaleDIY

RiverdaleDIY New Member

So following on from my previous post about the 83rd Inf. Div, in the Stalag IIIA/Luckenwalde area in May 1945....

I came across this After Action Report (AAR) report (link below) with the excerpt as shown in the screen shot. Does anyone know where I can get access to the "Journals 68 and 105" mentioned in the report?

Thank you for any tips or pointers.

Full document link: https://83rdinfdivdocs.org/.../83rd/AAR/AAR_83_MAY1945.pdf

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 9.15.45 AM.png

2. RiverdaleDIY

RiverdaleDIY New Member

I should add that I have taken a look through the documents at the www . Indianamilitary . org website (MAIN-GAS-INDEX) and came up empty. However, I find that site INCREDIBLY (is it just me?) difficult to navigate, or find search for anything on that site, so it's possible I've missed something. It does seem like an excellent resource but....

I've also posted on the 83rd Inf. Div. Association Facebook page in the hopes somebody there might be sitting on a treasure trove of docs.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Probably referring to the G3 Journal and File, which is the source of the narrative History or Report After Action. Since the information is in the latter in a convenient readable format, most Journals do not get copied. The numbers reference the Journal entry, which were numerical by date and time for all-important events, messages, and the like. You will probably need to go to the National Archives for copies.

RiverdaleDIY likes this.
  4. RiverdaleDIY

RiverdaleDIY New Member

I come up empty on the NARA site search, but I've been told by others there are 119 boxes, so I'll assume its either me doing something wrong or a poor search function. So I've asked on History Hub to see if they can point me in the right direction. I'm up in Canada so can't get down there myself anytime soon. Thank you.

5. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The Division G-3 Journal and File is in RG 407, Entry 427, 383-3.2 to 383-3.3, Boxes 10509 to 10515. May should be in Box 10514.

RiverdaleDIY likes this.
  6. RiverdaleDIY

RiverdaleDIY New Member

Oh that’s fantastic! Thank you very much.