Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

85th DIV Recon Troop, 3rd platoon

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by CDRECON, Dec 15, 2018.

1. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

I’m new to the forum. Thank for the assistance in advance.

My grand father, Frank J. Bogarski, Staff Sergeant, 85th DIV, Recon Troop, 3rd platoon. He served throughout the war, in all three major campaigns the div was recognized for.

The recon troops efforts are not well documented, that I’ve been able to find. I have a lot of my grandfathers original paperwork, orders, troop photo, original ribbons etc. How can I find the write up for his two bronze stars? I’m also looking for his units dui. As the recon troop was under head quarters as a support unit I haven’t located their dui. I do know the recon troop did not have there own dui, but the higher headquarters would.

Any info on the recon troop and specifically 3rd platoon would be greatly appreciated.

I also have 85th recon troop information I’m more than willing to share for those doing research on their family.

Thank you!

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

If you have his discharge documents, please post pictures of them. It will help us determine the answers to your questions and might open new avenues of inquiry. I'm on my phone right now so I can't do much research.
    By the way, welcome to the forum.

3. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

An image of your grandfather's DD214 (aka Report of Separation) will provide an excellent starting point to help answer your questions.

My initial run-through of the Army General Orders did not show anything under his name regarding the award/s of the Bronze Star Medal. Neither did a check for the 84th Recon.

I am unfamiliar with the acronym "dui." Others here probably know what it means, but if you will elaborate it will help me better understand what you are seeking.

4. LRusso216

DUI means Distinguished Unit Insignia. I don't know if he means a divisional one or not.

5. LRusso216

WILD DUKW likes this.
  6. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Since the 85th Recon Troop was organic to the 85th ID, your best bet for records is to contact the NARA at College Park, MD and request an index (or listing) of the unit records for the 85th Infantry Division. They typically provide the index for no charge. The division records should include a section for the 85th Recon Troop. There will be a brief description of the type of documents and the dates that are covered. Once you decide on the records that interest you, you can get copies by either ordering them from the NARA, hiring someone to go to NARA at CP and make copies, or go there yourself and make copies.

Are we talking about Bronze Star Medals or Bronze Star Devices (aka Battle Stars). These are often confused due to the similarity of the names. If you have his discharge papers, the General Order(s) should be referenced. If he was awarded the Combat Infantryman's Badge, he would have received a Bronze Star Medal after the War by virtue of having received the CIB. In that case, there would not be a GO for the BSM. You should also request his OMPF (Official Military Personnel File) if you have not already done so.

If you don't have a copy, the division history "The 85th Infantry Division in World War II" has been reprinted so copies are usually not hard to find.

I would encourage you to do so. The more info you put online, the greater chance someone else who may also have info on the 85th Recon Troop will connect with you through your posts here.

Slipdigit likes this.
  8. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

Thanks you for your responses. I’m attaching several useful documents and photos. My apologies for the quality.

I attempted, says files are too large

9. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

Is there a way to email to a moderator, then you can post for me.

I have photos of my grandfathers recon platoon, the entire troop, several G.O., a few other things that my assist more than just myself.

Thanks in advance

10. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

11. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

12. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

I attached files through iCloud, not sure if they will work.

Moderators, your welcome to adjust/delete as you see fit.

Thanks again for the assistance

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Here's the discharge in a more manageable size. So he did receive a BSM w/OLC. Aside from requesting his OMPF, which may have the citation if his file wasn't damaged/destroyed in the 1973 fire, the next option would be to find the GOs awarding him the first BSM and the subsequent OLC. Unfortunately, the GOs aren't referenced on the discharge. The likelihood is that they were 85th Division GOs which means you need to get the GOs of the 85th ID which are held at College Park. Unfortunately, the NARA will only copy entire documents, not individual pages or GOs. There will probably be more than one group of GOs in the 85th ID files at CP. If you can figure out when the BSM & OLC were awarded, that may help in your search.

IMG_4220_LH.jpg

14. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I got the After Action Report and Unit History for the 30th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mech) from NARA at College Park. Contact them and they can send them to you. Request the CD version. It will be a lot easier to disseminate and store.

The Morning reports should be at St Louis. I found the Morning Report for the 30th CRT there. You will have to find a researcher there to acquire them for you if you cannot make the trip yourself.

15. CDRECON

CDRECON New Member

Gentlemen, I will pursue those areas based on your recommendations. I’m hoping to professionally scan the items I have from my grandfathers records in order to allow an efficient means of sending them to others folks who are in a similar position as myself.

Thank you!!