Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

894th Tank Destroyer Battalion

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Spielhahn, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Spielhahn

Spielhahn Member

Does anyone know where or how to find a unit photo, aside from ebay, from Co. A, 894th TD BN? I know some of the other companies had their photos taken while at Fort Bragg on or around 06/24/1942 by Bell Clements from Fayetteville. I called the museum at Fort Bragg, but I was told the unit photos were by a private company and the military didn't keep any copies. Any help is greatly appreciated. This is becoming a 6 year quest! Thanks

Slipdigit likes this.
  2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That is a mightly hard request, Speilhahn, I hope you can find it. Even if you don't get an immediate reply here, check the site periodically, you never who might have a pic on down the line, 2 or 3 years from now.

And if you do find the pic, could you post a copy here?

3. Spielhahn

Spielhahn Member

If I find it, I will be glad to share it. Unfortunately, not to many photos of this unit are around. The few I have collected were just as difficult to come by as well.

4. missharrington2003

missharrington2003 recruit

Could you tell me anything about the Bn. Did they go to Europe or the PTO?

5. Slipdigit

894th Tank Destroyer Battalion (S-P) (M3-M10)
    Formed 15 Dec 1941 Fort George G Meade, Md as 93rd Heavy Self Propelled A/T Bn
    Disbanded 8 Sep 1945 Italy

Departed NYPE 6 Aug 1942
    Arrived England 17 Aug 1942
    Landed North Africa 17 Jan 1943
    Landed Italy Sep 1943 (Coy A 9 Sep - Coy B 11 Sep)

Credited with Tunisia, Rome-Arno, Naples-Foggia, North Appennines, Po Valley Campaigns.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I don't think you will get much response as this thread is over a year old, but I was able to locate a few things for you.
    TD Battalion Histories

This is a link to a manual on the 894th http://www.milspecmanuals.com/si/005971.html
    And a link to a book on the unit Seek, strike, destroy : the history of the 894th Tank Destroyer Battalion in World War II (Book, 1995) [WorldCat.org]

Hope this helps.

Jeff you posted your stuff while I was preparing my response. You're just too quick. Lou

7. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

His copy of Staton's is always nearby. He probably keeps it under his pillow....

8. Slipdigit

Naw, that is too visible to would-be thieves. I leave it under the mattress.

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Good place. Thieves these days would never think to look behind the chamber pot....

10. tdseeker

tdseeker recruit

Did you ever find the photo you were looking for? You do know that there was a unit history done by Patrick Chase on the 894th? It includes many photos and I have a copy. Contact me at roborbethhaldeman@gmail.com or through my website at www.tankdestroyer.net.

-Rob

11. elgintyrtx

elgintyrtx recruit

I have a PHOTO taken 7-3-42 of Co A of the 894th. Its not in really good condition as it has gotten wet at some point. I appears to be stuck to the glass in some areas. My Dad served in the unit. The picture actually belongs to my son. When he visits here at Christmas, we'll look more closely and let you know what we think we can do.

12. Leave No Man Behind

Leave No Man Behind recruit

My late father in Law Don DePamphilis was a self-less and heroic member of the 894th TDB. He served in Tunisia, the Anzio Beachhead, and Italian campaigns. He is originally form Queen, New York. He rarely spoke about the war. I want to learn more about his service and hopefully get him the recognition that he deserves and even a medal upgrade to the Medal of Honor.. How do I go about doing that?

He earned the following medals and awards for his gallantry and heroism during WWII while defending our country:
    The Purple Heart w/3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Silver Star, w/3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Conspicuous Service Cross, Awards for Gallantry in Action, Citation for Meritorious Services
    and The Croix de Guerre w/ 3 Palm leaves by the French Gov't.

13. Slipdigit

Thanks to his memory for the service he provided. It does not go unnappreciated.

Getting a Silver Star upgraded to a MoH will be a most difficult task, bordering on the impossible. There is another medel between the SS and the MoH.

14. Leave No Man Behind

Leave No Man Behind recruit

JW, Thank you so much for understanding. Today, December 23, 2010 is the 16th anniversary of his death at age 74. I only found out after he died what he had done for this country and what a huge WWII hero he was. I learned about it from old newspaper articles. It haunts me that he's gone and that he did not receive more recognition and thanks for his service. He has only one grandson, my son, and I want him to see what his grandfather did for this country and that this country appreciates his grandfather's service and sacrifices.

I learned from some of the articles that Corporal Don DePamphilis received the Puple Heart and Silver Star when he volunteered to participate in the African invasion and was wounded in the legs in April 1943, when he aided in putting out a fire on a half-track. As his anti-tank battalion moved into Italy and took part in the battle for Rome , Don was again wounded in action and received two Oak Leaf Clusters for his Silvar Star. He and his crew captured 100 German soldiers near Rome while he was acting as a gunner on an M-10 tank and he received another Oak Leaf Cluster for his Silver Star.

From what I've read, being an enemy tank destroyer was like being on a suicide mission. It amazes me that he survived this and kept returning over and over to battle even after being wounded 5 times. I don't think many of the other men he went there with survived. I would love to find someone who actually was with him over there. It would probably be really hard because Don would have been 90 this year. I just don't know how to go about finding out information like this. Where would I start?

Americans live in freedom today because of Don DePamphilis' enduring bravery, determination, and absolute grit.

15. Slipdigit

At best it is going to be a difficult endeavor finding anyone who served with him, given the the number of years removed from the war, the small size of the unit involved and the lack of names to use as leads.

Here is some info on the 894th

894th Tank Destroyer Battalion[59]

The 94th Antitank Battalion was redesignated the 894th Tank Destroyer Battalion on 15 December 1941. Committed to battle 20 February 1943 at Kasserine Pass in Tunisia. Supported capture of Bizerte. Landed in Italy in late October 1943, located in vicinity of Pignataro in the Migniano sector as of December. Transferred to Anzio beachhead on 25 January 1944, where battalion supported mainly British troops. Entered Rome in June. Crossed Arno River at Pisa in September. Mired at Porretta Terme late 1944–early 1945. Entered Genoa on 27 April. Attached to: 1st Armored Division; 34th, 45th, 85th, and 92d Infantry divisions; 10th Mountain Division; British 1st and 5th Infantry divisions; French Expeditionary Corps; Brazilian Expeditionary Force.

[59] Records of 894th Tank Destroyer Battalion. Gill, 47. Chase.

TD Battalion Histories

Here is a google search on the 894th. Consider going through it and seeing what you can find.

16. Buten42

Buten42 Member

[QUOTET]
    The Purple Heart w/3 Oak Leaf Clusters,[/SIZE][/FONT] Silver Star, w/3 Oak Leaf Clusters, Conspicuous Service Cross, Awards for Gallantry in Action, Citation for Meritorious Services
    and The Croix de Guerre w/ 3 Palm leaves by the French Gov't.
    [/QUOTE]

I wonder how he received the French Croix de Guerre w/three Palms when all his service was in North Africa and Italy? Maybe I'm missing something.
    By Conspicuous Service Cross, I presume you mean the Distinguished Service Cross, which is next to the MOH, but I agree with Slipdiget, it still would never be upgraded. And I'm a bit confused by "Awards for Gallantry in Action". I believe this is what the DSC, and Silver Stars are for.
    I do thank him for his service and sacrifice. Dave

17. Pfilbert

Pfilbert recruit

I wrote an article on the 894th TDB that was published in Infantry Magazine in 1995. Trying to relink to it online so I can save it to my computer (I have the hardcopy version in magazine form). Corresponded with several members of the 894th as I was researching my article and attended a unit reunion in New Orleans as well.

All began when my dad asked me if I could find a unit crest for the 894th (he had been in the 894th Tank Battalion in the 1950s at Fort Knox, KY; successor tot he 894th TDB) and my article was the result (after 2 years of research). Patrick Chases' book goes into alot more detail.

Cheers,

Pat

18. Spielhahn

Spielhahn Member

Were you ever able to locate the A Co. photo your son had?

19. Buten42

Buten42 Member

The Conspicuous Service Cross is issued by the state of New York to any military personnel who has receives any decoration from Purple Heart or higher. I mistook this to mean the Distinguised Service Cross. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_Service_Cross_(New_York)

realize this post is two years old but thought I'd add this in case anyone was wondering.

20. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Tankdestroyer.net, which was referenced in post #10 above, has a unit page for the 894th TD Battalion. Unfortunately, there isn't much except a brief write up of the unit history. However, it appears Rob who runs the website, has a copy of the unit history book. Perhaps he can help with additional info. He does constantly update the website, so checking back from time to time might be a good idea.