Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

8th army desert rats

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by Shirl, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Shirl

Shirl recruit

good morning, is there anyone on the group who served with this regiment please

thanks
    shirl

2. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

There won't be, because the Eighth Army is not a Regiment.any more than Patton's Third Army.

I served in one of the formations 4th Armoured Brigade which wore the Jerboa, in the 1980s, but not in the western desert in nWW2. . That is a nit pick, but you might have done a little more research before asking for some nonagenarian to stop their VJ celebrations and respond to your post.

If you want to reach some British or commonwealth 8th Army Veterans or their relatives you would be better served with a post on the forum's partner site http://ww2talk.com/forums/forum/52-north-africa-the-med/

Sorry if this is may appear a little rude.

3. Shirl

Shirl recruit

sheldrake

i watched the VJ celebrations on BBC1 and found it very moving, it was last night i found out that my uncle teddy served with the 8th Army desert Rats, i have done so much to help my home town commemorate WW1 i was disheartened to find you would think i would try and stop these dear men from being honoured today, but then you did not know the meaning for my question, my uncle served all the years of WW2 not to die from a wound but a brain anyrism a year later, i have also helped the gentleman in this video of the SWB 2nd Batt who took part in D-Day who tried to say my uncle and i took on channel 4 for not giving him respect when being filmed for their programme called the push to germany, am sorry if i upset anyone but seems after all the people i have helped for free over the years, when i needed some i was turnt down i'll leave this subject lie now and will trace the info myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqLa9kqBQI

4jonboy likes this.
  4. Shirl

Shirl recruit

and i still help his wife today

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Sorry Shirl, that wasn't my meaning . It is just that if you want to make contact with British WW2 veterans you ought to try the Ww2 talk forum. Its where the British Vets and their relatives hang out

6. 4jonboy

4jonboy Active Member

Hello Shirl and welcome to the forum.
    Indeed our sister site at ww2talk.com has a much more British focus, and we have forum members there who can help you about the 8th Army.
    Look forward to seeing you there :)

Lesley

7. Drew5233

Drew5233 Member

Here's a list of all the 2 SWB's war diaries and ref's available at the National Archives in London. These will give you a day by day account of what the unit was doing and where they were doing it :)

WO 166/4700 INFANTRY: 2 South Wales Borderers 1939 Sept.- 1940 Mar., July- Dec
    WO 166/4701 INFANTRY: 2 South Wales Borderers 1941 Jan.- Dec
    WO 166/8992 2 South Wales Borderers 1942 Jan.- Dec
    WO 166/12731 2 South Wales Borderers 1943 Jan.-Dec
    WO 168/58 2 South Wales Borderers 1940 Apr.-June
    WO 171/1380 2 South Wales Borderers 1944 Jan.- Dec.
    WO 171/5273 2 South Wales Borderers 1945 Jan.-Apr.
    WO 171/5274 2 South Wales Borderers 1945 May-Dec.