Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

997th Field Artillery Information request

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by 997th CWO grandson, Dec 15, 2008.

1. 997th CWO grandson

997th CWO grandson recruit

I would like to request information pertaining to the 997th Field Artillery Battalion in World War II.

My Grandfather was a CWO assistant Bn. S-4 and I am trying to find out any information to his role in the war effort. I was not able to personally get this information due to his passing when I was 8yrs old, and the rest of my family does not know any exact details of his service, and all I have is about 40 or so photos from the campaign.

I have found a good information site with daily records from http://www.crawfordenterprise.com/997/History/997History.html (I have been able to piece names from the photos with staff listed in this unit history) but that is the extent of my research so far. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Finding our much on the 997th FA Batt is going to be tough, as they were an independent battatlion, probably attached to a corps, althought Battery B was attached to the 69th Infantry Division for two days in April 1945. If they had been permanently attached to a larger formation, such as a division, gathering information on them would be easier to be accomplished,as you can research the division also.

As it is, they probably did not form an association for any of the men to join, nor were any of their records independently maintained.

The battalion formed 1 Mar 43, Fort Ord, CA, out of Batt B of the 195th FA Batt.

They departed Boston 15 Feb 1944, landing England 22 Feb 1944. They landed France 27 Jun 1944.

They fired 8in towed Howitzers.

Credited with Ardenne/Alsace, Central Europe, Normandy, Northern France and Rhineland Campaigns.

In Aug 1945, they were in Schmalkalden Germany.

3. 997th CWO grandson

997th CWO grandson recruit

Thank you very much for your response and for the information you provided. I guess I will need to keep my eyes open and fingers crossed for other sources.

4. Slipdigit

5. Erica Delp

Erica Delp New Member

I realize I’m quite late to this thread, but I was just discovering all my grandfather’s papers about his service in this unit. I was the 2nd Lieutenant. His file is about an inch thick with many names. Who are you looking for?
    Erica Delp

6. Slipdigit

Erica,
    Thank for responding, but the year of the request was 2008.
    If you dont get a response, let me know and I'll see if I can contact the original poster and see if he is still looking for info on the unit.