Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A D-Day Question...

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Becky, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Becky

Becky Member

You have a very cool wife :D

Thank you for the question suggestion, that's a really good idea! It probably is best to answer a qestion where I can include several things in the answer, rather than a question only about one specific thing (i.e. Operation PLUTO). That'll definately keep me busy for the 3 hours.

Also, thanks for the tip about the Timewatch episode, I'll have to see if my school has it on video, they have loads of tapes in the history department so I'm sure they'll have it :)

2. Fallschirmjaeger

Fallschirmjaeger Member

I'd use why German defenses could not hold back the Allied offensive in Normandy.

3. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Most of all I would ensure that I verify any information given to you from any source, since there were five (5) beaches ;): Sword and Gold (the British); Omaha, Utah (the Americans); and Juno (the Canadians).

In doing a paper about something which interests you, you will need to think about what expectations have been for other papers - i.e. corroborative sources, style, maintaining consistency about the theme - and work your paper into those parameters. Since the teacher is uninterested in the military - he/she won't be interested in military tactics or being told tales about the fighting. The logistics end or the "human interest" aspect may be something which appeals to the teacher. Another suggestion would be to search for lesser known information which would possibly inspire some interest and show your diligence in research for the paper.

Just some suggestions from me.

4. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

How are you getting on?

5. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

You know, you've seen one beach, you've seen them all, so one more one less doesn't make much difference :rofl:

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

:insane:

7. Becky

Becky Member

If that question is directed at me, I'm getting on very well thanks :D

I asked my teachers opinion on all of the questions from this thread, but he didn't like them saying that they were too 'specific', which is fair I suppose. So we compromised and I'm now answering the question: 'To what extent did the allies intelligence operations influence the outcome of Operation Overlord'. A nice question that I'll hopefully be able to write lots about!

I've been reading a lot about the spies/double agents involved recently, and it's really interesting. I've still got a lot of reading to do, but fortunately I'm enjoying it so it won't be too much of a chore :)

8. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

Yes it was, Becky. Glad you are getting on ok. Sounds like a good subject to research. Am sure people here and over at WW2 Talk will be able to help.

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Did your teacher say that this is not "that spesific".... I´d definitely disagree. Can you imagine just on how many levels the Allied intelligence worked months before and during D-day?

But of course we have discussed this in the Forums so just keep pressing that "search" button....

10. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Good luck, Becky. I hope you come back and let us know how you made out in the end. I'm glad you and the teacher found a compromise.