Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A Marine Has Climbed His Last Hill

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by bronk7, Mar 14, 2016.

1. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

Mr Bronk has climbed his last hill......no condolences necessary......just present arms and a hand salute

He grew up during the Depression....the Toughest Generation. No heat in his room in winter, no AC of course. Lucky to get 1 Christmas present.
    Joined the USMC Reserves to play basketball, and for his punishment, they sent him to Korea.
    Was with 1-7. After fighting for 2 days and nights,, tired, hungry and cold, his unit, 1-7, was tasked with making an overland movement.
    some of it at night, snowy, icy steep terrain that was unfamiliar--temps down to minus 30 ! it was hell
    What did the Toughest Generation do?? They did it. Without complaining. Methodically, slowly, but relentlessly moving. Just like the Marines did all the way to the sea.. Unstoppable. They outflanked the Chinese, secured that part of the road, and 'rescued' Fox Co. who had mostly wounded and dead.
    He was wounded while climbing another hill. Recovered, and sent back to combat to climb more hills. The Toughest Generation did it.

He taught by example.
    Disciplined, orderly, cleanliness, etc like the old German way.
    Be nice, friendly, and polite. These things seem to be not in abundance. Not taught too much
    But when someone started trouble, no nonsense--attack the problem with vehemence.
    if things got tough, or there is a major problem, take care of it. methodically keep climbing that hill

it was because of him, I did well in the USMC. meritoriously promoted at Bootcamp and SOI

he's climbed a lot of hills in life...I'll take his pack for awhile..he can take a long earned rest...and I'll sing the cadence we always sang in the Corps

and when he gets to heaven, to St Peter he will tell

another Marine reporting sir, I've served my time in hell Semper Fi

Dave55 and Otto like this.
  2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Sorry to hear this bronk.

Semper Fi.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Sorry for your loss, good news is he got his choice of duty stations, bad news God's got him on the guard roster for the main gate. Good news is when not pulling duty he gets to sit around, have a brew and swap sea stories with all his old shipmates.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss Bronk.

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

My condolences on your loss, bronk. He had a pretty good run of 85 years, but its still hard to say goodbye. You did a fine job of it in your post.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Sorry to hear about this Bronk...he sounds like a champion.

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

[​IMG]

9. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

much thanks all ..he was proud of being a Marine...he got to see me at graduation boot camp...I was one of the 7 out of 70 of my platoon, that went on stage for meritorious promotion....I would think that was one of his proudest days......I took off work last Thursday and today...will go to work tomorrow...np...wake is Wednesday....we move on....my family is super loud and talkative...it'll be 'crazy' at the wake...they said it was like 'party-loud tone' at my mom's wake.....