Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A New German AAR

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Tomcat, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Ok this time I thought I would go for something completely different, and instead focusing on powerful armies and air forces, I decided to go for the historic armies (well close enough) and a powerful navy, by 1939 I had 4 CV's going and by 1940 2 BB as well as around 20 CL, 5 CA's and countless SS and DD's. At first I though it wouldn't be enough to hold the British but fully combined the Graf Zepplin was able to sink 3 RN CV's by her self withuot a single bit of damage. Poland fell in 2 and a half weeks.

With France I decieded to go with a different invasion plan. Instead of attacking either through the low countries or even straight through the Maginot line, I left the door wide open to the french to attack directly into Germany. They pushed hard and got as far as the outskirts of Berlin putting somelike 40 divisions into the attack leaving 3 to guard the entire maginot line from top to bottom. I got three Armoured divisions each with at least 3 Pz III and motorised Infantry followed of course by an 8 infantry division support army with the HQ attached. I gathered these men into the Cologne area and attacked straight into neutral Luxemburg into the metz and mulhouse cutting the entire forward army of the French off.
    The units in Germany had no problems dealing with the out of supply French and my Pz Armies were able break into 3 3 division armies and sail across the french country side to the med unopposed. Paris was defended by a few divisions which quickly retreated.

In all the French defenders in France had only around 10 Divisions for the entire defence. The campagin was over by November 1939.

THe invasion of Britain will be far from that easy at least until I get onto the mainland.

I have found the problem with playing germany is you run out of people to attack if you do it right. France is easy, once you get onto Britian the Island falls quickly, although the RN always harasses you. Soviet although powerful takes longer to conquoer but again once they are beaten the game in Europe is over.

I once tried an invasion of America with the Germans and it took ages to build the transports to get into canada. Some of the provedences in Canada take months to cross.

Anyways I will have more with the Invasion England later.