Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A New Nazi Treasure Hunt

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Sep 7, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

And here we go again...
    "A Russian engineer is claiming to have found yet another 'lost loot' from the Second World War - buried near a village south-west of Moscow.
    The unnamed 'expert' says he has found the location of lorries loaded with gold, silver and jewels from the Bank of Smolensk, which had been emptied by Soviet forces in order to prevent the Nazis from getting their hands on its riches.
    However, the convoy of treasures was overrun by German forces in the opening phase of Operation Barbarossa in June 1941, when Hitler unleashed an army of three million men eastwards to conquer the Soviet Union.
    This follows the reports last week that the fabled 'gold train' of Walbrzych in Poland has been found, laden with Nazi plunder, in an abandoned tunnel.
    One of the first ports of call for the Nazi invaders in July 1941 was the Bank of Smolensk.
    However, the Russians thwarted Hitler's men by moving the valuables eastward on eight trucks.
    The convoy split up halfway on the road to Moscow. When the trucks tried to cross the Dnieper River, they came under fire from the Germans. One was destroyed and the explosion hurled hundreds of silver coins around the area.
    But later that day - July 16 1941 - only five vehicles arrived in the village of Otnosovo. Over the years villagers have routinely found coins in the countryside."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3224929/Nazi-treasure-hunt-Mark-II-Russian-expert-claims-lost-lorries-loaded-gold-bank-emptied-Soviet-forces-World-War-II-stop-German-looting.html#ixzz3l434Ff3o

15thusinfantry likes this.
  2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

As much as I would love these things to be true...I doubt all of it. Love to be proven wrong. Amusing though.

3. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

It would be VERY cool for it to be true. Alas, I think too many people want the fame and notoriety - even if it's short-lived - that something like this brings.

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Wait...hold on everyone...I found something in my backyard...it may be a lost Nazi treasure.................... Oops...my apologies, it was just my septic tank. :)

Phantom of the Ruhr likes this.
  5. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

LOL!

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Let me know when they find the Amber Room. Until then, I'll be skeptical of these types of claims.

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

You know, If I found the location of lost loot, do you think I would be telling anyone?????

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Sure, and if you could not afford the excavation costs, knowing the location is not going to do you any good. Or, worse, you dig it all out, only to have the government swoop in and confiscate your claim.

9. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Party pooper. LOL

10. GRW

Could have been a Radio Security Service listening station!!!

11. GRW

Surprise, surprise...
    "It turns out, as many of our readers have thought over the past few weeks that the train is not there. The sounds of disappointment were heard across social media on Tuesday when it became apparent the press release ended.
    [SIZE=18.2px]Researchers have presented their findings regarding the alleged gold train near the town of Walbrzych in Poland. On Tuesday Professor Janusz Madej from Krakow’s Academy of Mining said, “There may be a tunnel. There is no train especially an armoured one carrying precious metals.”"[/SIZE]
    https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/nazi-gold-train-no-evidence-of-lost-train-in-poland.html

Otto likes this.
  12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm so surprised.

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Drat! Time for a new retirement plan. :(

14. Takao

Takao Ace

You could always go back to hunting Spitfires...

Flight 19 is still missing, but the US Navy still retains rights to the aircraft.

Amber Room anyone?

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

16. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

That colorful image there is not the gold train. It's a sample GPR scan from a totally different site.

17. GRW

*Bumped for an update*
    We're officially in the silly season. One of the first things Hitler did was ban the Freemasons.
    "The journal that mentions the gold was written under the pseudonym “Michaelis” and was secretly kept hidden in Quedling, Germany, by a Masonic lodge. The lodge has existed as a secret society for over 1,000 years and has counted elite Nazi officers among its members.
    Seventy-five years ago, a Waffen Schutzstaffel (SS) officer in the German Army kept a journal in which he wrote about Nazi commander Heinrich Himmler’s plans to hide stolen artifacts, works of art and other riches under a castle in Poland.
    “Michaelis” is believed to have been a member who was responsible for Nazi transport in southwestern Poland.
    The journal lists eleven sites where Nazis hid gold, jewels, paintings and religious artifacts.
    One of the listed locations is an abandoned well which is almost 200 feet deep. The well is under the Hochberg Palace in Roztoka, Poland."
    www.warhistoryonline.com/news/gold-2.html

18. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Think I'll head to Poland with my passport and a shovel...what time do the bars close over there?

19. GRW

They close?!