Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A question for battleship experts

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by ULITHI, Nov 25, 2010.

1. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks Mike! I never saw that photo before. And it's great to find a photo of her firing her main battery. I didn't really know what a muzzle flash/ fireball would look like coming from her, so I based the one I am painting off an Iowa's. Don't know how accurate that would be either.

2. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Hint for other newbee posters.

This was as about as far and away from... and as far as possible from a "laughable post" as you could get.
    In fact, it has turned into a very interesting and very, very educational thread. Thank you ULITHI;542335

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Good Lord I can see why it was easy for the Navy fly boys to sink the "Hotel Yamato". The dang thing is so big it would be like bombing Long Island!!!! It probably generated it's own gravitational pull as well....

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Usually the superstructure dominates the upperworks. On the Y it looks like an afterthought. I think the amount of space under the main deck allowed for more things to be behind armor than were possible on the Iowas.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Which was bigger, the Yamato or the proposed Montanna's?

6. OpanaPointer

NHHC says.
    [​IMG]

The superstructure here is clearly a clone of the Iowas, wartime expedience would dictate you do what has already worked unless there's a pressing need to change it. The Montanas weren't going to be innovative, just upscale sluggers.

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I should have known you were a connoisseur of fine art. King of the velvet paintings, do you have the dogs playing poker one?:rolleyes:

ULITHI likes this.
  8. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Patron Saint maybe, there is only one King.

9. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I don't believe that cable mentioned could be anything other than an antenna of some description - if it was a situation of rigging the ship overall for harbour it would be one of the first things taken down on leaving port. As an antenna - unless it's the only one or something really special - it would be taken down if there was time. If not it had a ceramic insulator at both ends that acted in emergencies as a 'shear pin' and the wire complete would normally be tied by a piece of non-conducting line in the middle and at a couple of places along it's length so it would blast free but not be lost. The design of ships like Yamato with the over long bow-bridge distance meant it was ideal for HF transmission antenna lengths for the distances and frequencies the Pacific needed.

As to firing directly forrard or not - I believe I read somewhere that only 1 gun at a time could be fired if firing directly forrard but not sure which ship that was for - IIRC was because the recoil could break the drive shafts/gearboxes if the ship was steaming forward when too many guns fired. Makes sense but can't find confirmation, sorry.

10. OpanaPointer

Blowing it clear runs the risk of fouling a screw.

11. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

Would expect the most solid fastening to be such it would never get far enough aft for a screw foul even if gone all but awol - presumably if aft end of cable behind the guns that has good chance of staying attached if done properly whatever happens. - after all they didn't take down guardrails and the like before firing?

12. OpanaPointer

If a round hit it, however...

13. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

just thinking distance front of bridge to bow/ front of bridge to screw - even if entire cable survived so long as was attached somewhere would probably be ok - if detached completely then sure could foul a screw although would be bad luck - what about the gun sights? - would they be bothered by a cable in the way at all?

14. OpanaPointer

If they're using the sights in the turrets the cable could foul a viewfinder. That would nullify the binocular effect, no triangulation. You could still get bearings. I think that the forward turrets would feed of each other in that situation, and the after turret could approximate a solution based on the information from the bow turrets. And vice versa, of course.

As for fouling the screws, the rule is to avoid any chances. There's no guarantee the cable with part cleanly and sink quickly, so make sure it doesn't have an opportunity to show it's inherent proclivities in an unexpected fashion.

15. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I guess warships had to be very careful indeed with keeping their props clean.

If I remember correctly, either Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, or Prinz Eugen got one of there screws tangled in sub netting when they were trying to break out of Brest.

16. OpanaPointer

It stresses the prop, causes unusual wear on the line bearings, can upset the mesh on the reduction gears and cause the turbine to crash. Other than those, there's no real problems.

17. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I once saw a yacht full of Germans manage (while backing into a lifting dock) to suck a mooring line/chain up their screw shaft until it snapped the P-Bracket and then it pushed the shaft seal and a few square inches of hull up towards the gearbox. Does a lot of damage - I had work for nearly a month on that :)

18. OpanaPointer

Last ship I was on, an LHA, had 16'9" props. One of them going out of kilter at speed would have jerked the shaft out of the hull or "scissored" the hull. It would not have been pretty.

BTW, Phil Harris's boat had this problem in "Deadliest Catch", season before last I think.

19. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

20. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

I think we may have a challenge for 'Mythbusters' - can you shoot a big shell past a cable without it snapping?