Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

A survey for a school project.

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Campin' Carl, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Campin' Carl

Campin' Carl New Member

I'm doing a research project at school and doing it on SMGs of WWII, and I need to put a few surveys out so you guys can be the first. I'll also be interveiwing people so give a yell if you want to take part.

1. How much would you say you know about SMGs of WWII?

2. Based on what you know, which of these armies would you rather serve in as a SMG Trooper and why?
    • USSR - PPD 34/38/PPD 40/PPSh-41/PPS-43/M1A1 Thompson
    • Germany - MP18/MP34/MP38/MP40/MP3008
    3. If you could own any of the previously mentioned guns, which one would it be?

Here is an example of a good answer.

1. More than most people I know.
    2. The USSR because of their superior SMGs.
    3. The PPSh-41 because it's a beautiful gun, has a large capacity and carries a powerful 7.62mm round.

You can give more detail if you wish.

Here is an example of a bad answer.
    If you can think of any other questions that need to be asked don't hesitate to say.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome to the forum Campin' Carl

Forgive me but you survey is rather difficult to answer seriously because of its format. Just about every nation used a SMG of some type, either of their own design or as "Lend-Lease" from another country. Japan was the one major country that used very few SMG's. More to the point I could not see myself choosing a side because I liked how 'cool' their SMG was, especially since they would still most likely give me a rifle.

You offer only the choice of being a Soviet soldier or Nazi and for many of us that simply isn't much of a choice. I do know that some German soldiers prized Soviet SMG's for many reasons, there were others who prized American M-1 carbines as well because it suited their tactical doctrine.

If I could own any SMG it would be the Thompson, not the best by any means (M-3 "Grease Gun" had many advantages), but effective. No real logic to it, I just like its look.

rkline56 likes this.
  3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think you should do a little research on your own first. The example that you rate as a good answer is actually a rather poor answer, depending on how one defines "powerful ." The .762 round used in the PPSH is a very small 85 grain slug at about 1600 fps. A slug that light has very poor penetration.

The Germans used the 9x19 and Russians used the .762x25 in their respective SMG's. These rounds in their FMJ military configurations are both poor stoppers, so the rating of what is "best" has to go entirely to reliability of the weapon. In this, the Russian guns have a slight edge.

You could also knock off most of the weapons on that list. In real terms, the Russians were armed with the PPS/PPSH, and the Germans with the MP38/40. The other weapons on the list saw very limited service.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Lol.Excellent try...Dude,just type in your question to Google.

5. Campin' Carl

Campin' Carl New Member

If you must know, it is a project on the SMGs of the Nazi German and Soviet Union armies during WWII.
    I just got a list of SMGs used by the two armies off of wikipedia.

Here's Nazi Germany
    Sub-machine guns
    Here's the Soviet Union
    Sub-machine guns
    Also, Poppy, Google isn't a person therefore cannot be surveyed.

6. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Since it is you who asked - Yes we must know. Most here will bend over backwards to help if the request is genuine and a little respect goes a long way also. You might tell the forum the extent of your research so far. There are true experts on here who can answer your questions, some from personal experience and others from years of study. As an example, a few here could tell you anything you want to know about those weapons listed above without referencing any online sources. They've done their research using books and something called a Library.

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/40979-homework-assignments-veteran-interviews/

rkline56 likes this.
  7. Campin' Carl

Campin' Carl New Member

8. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

After 1943 Beretta continued production of the MAB for the Germans (MP 738) so you might reasonably add that one to the list, and it would be my choice, it was overdesigned for an SMG but the overpowed fiocchi cartrige gave it slight range advantage over the other 9x19 weapons, and as a user i wouldn't care if my weapon was not cost effective, just that it was better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Model_38

9. Fargo

Fargo Active Member WW2|ORG Editor

Well for a research project, you may want to consider checking into official wartime documents for specifications. Manuals often provide very good information and are usually very reliable should you wish to cite them. That doesn't mean you have to get them in printing though, many sites act as directories for downloadable documents. Good Luck.

10. GPW1944

GPW1944 recruit

I know your survey on SMGs is most likely completed but I just had to throw in. My old fishing buddy Ray Grimh (bless his soul) would have said the Garand rifle is best........well he told me that he wanted for a long time while trugging around Italy to carry the Thompson SMG.....well he got his wish.....the gun turned out to be heavier than hell and along with the ammo was almost unbearable. He said that the only thing it was good for was opening doors to which the user would be up front shooting off the door lock/knob. He was very happy to get rid of it and back to his M1. I've heard this story several times from other veterans. I believe that the Thompson SMG was overrated....well at least they were in most Infantry soldiers such as Ray. Best Regards.