Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Admiral Percy Noble and PQ17

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Panzerknacker, May 1, 2002.

1. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Does anyone here see Admiral Noble's decision to scatter PQ17 as anything but a total misjudgement, and i dare say, blatant incompetence of command?
    However he was an excellent and distinguished commander, please do not take it that i am denying him that when you answer, i just believe that this was his bad day.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Ryan, Can you refresh my memory and let me know more on when this happened?

I know soem about it, but need refreshing--like the date it happened and appx where. ;)

3. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

It was an Arctic convoy in 1942 attempting to reach Murmansk. Bdienst got word of a large convoy that would intersect with it's returnign number QP13. The Luftwaffe Condors and Ju-88s attacked first and several U-Boats got in on the action and made mincemeat of the convoy.
    Admiral Noble ordered the convoy to scatter to make targets harder to hit, but instead it made targets easier to distinguish...!!!

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the refresher.

I dont think it can be construed a s a mistake to scatter the convoy--especially after they already had been compromised. I know in my Grandfathers case--he had been in convoys to Murmansk as well. He liked smaller convoys--not ones that could have 50 ships--but more like 8-12 ships. Being smaller in number they were less likely spotted--or so the theory went. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. Its just a chance that had to be taken. Had the convoy not scattered, they would most likely have lost several more ships that they did. Had I been the Admiral in charge--I would have done the same thing--whether in hindsight if its felt that that was right or wrong.

5. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Dear Carl,
    As in all military matters-it is easy in hindsight to judge a person's mistakes. This convoy would have been slaughtered even further had it stayed "tight", the U-Boats wouldn't have had to search-all they would have to do is fire-this decision was best for the survivng 4 ships...

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry I couldnt reply yesterday.

I totally agree with you my friend--it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.