Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Aerial photographers

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by sbroughton, Apr 27, 2015.

1. sbroughton

sbroughton New Member

My uncle was stationed at Eglin Air Force Base and was killed when the B-50A planed crashed on a practice bomb drop. The year was 1950.
    He was an aerial photographer. I have several questions to ask, please don't think them dumb.
    1. Why would you need an aerial photographer on a practice bomb drop? I guess you needed to make sure the bomb dropped on target, or something else? I just don't understand.
    2. Is there a B 50 anywhere that allows visitors to go inside the plane? I would like to see what the inside of the plane looked like.......not just a hull, but some semblance of what it looked like at the time.
    3. If there isn't a B-50A, what is the next nearest plane like the B-50 and is there some place I can go to tour that plane?
    4. How often were practice bomb drops done? Was this in preparation or fear of a nuclear attack? I mean they weren't using new technology (or were they) because it was an older plane?

Sorry if my questions seem naive. I just want to know more.
    Thanks,
    Sheilah Broughton

2. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

1. There's any number of reasons for a photographer to be aboard. To record the practice bombing, crew functions, air to air photography, whatever the USAF decided was worth documenting.

2. The museum at ex-Castle AFB in Atwater, CA, has a B-50 which has been open during Open Cockpit Day, usually Memorial Day Weekend.

http://www.castleairmuseum.org

3. See number two.

4. There were always practice missions. Part of the ongoing training whether it's practice bombing missions, fighter intercepts, the lot.

3. sbroughton

sbroughton New Member

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your reply. So, if there are any number of reasons an aerial photographer was needed does that mean someone gave him his assignment for each flight and that it could be different for each flight? If so, who was that someone?

4. Carronade

Carronade Ace

5. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

The Squadron Operations Officer under the direction of the Squadron Commander made flight assignments.

6. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Possibly the base or squadron photo detachment, a request from public affairs, a request from any number of higher ups that want photos of the USAF doing something.

7. Pride_of_Lenin

Pride_of_Lenin New Member

Here is some data I found on the crash:

5th of January 1950

The B-50A ditched in the Choctawhatchee Bay due to an engine failure. Instructor pilot 1st Lt. Park R. Bidwell, Jr., pilot 1st Lt. Vere Short, co-pilot 1st Lt. James S. Wigg, bombardier Maj. William C. McLaughlin and crewmen S/Sgt. Clifford J. Gallipo, M/Sgt. Alton Howard, M/Sgt. William J. Almand, T/Sgt. Samuel G. Broke and Cpl. William F. Fitzpatrick survived the incident.

The bodies of flight engineer M/Sgt. Claude Dorman and aerial photographer S/Sgt. William Thomas Bell were recovered by divers.

The B-50A was from the 3200th Proof Test Group, it crashlanded two miles NNE of Destin FL, killing two of the 11 crew. Nine escape from the downed aircraft following the forced landing. The airframe settles in eight to ten feed of mud at a depth of 38 feet. The body of S/Sgt. William Thomas Bell, 21, aerial photographer, who lived in Mayo FL, is recovered on Tuesday, 9 January, outside the plane from beneath the tail.