Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Africa Corp Cap at Garage Sale

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Bradsww2items, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Bradsww2items

Bradsww2items New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I just picked this Cap up at a garage sale last weekend and I'm good on telling real between fake on just about everything but German Caps, so with that in mind do any of you know if it is real or fake? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Bradsww2items

Bradsww2items New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I just picked this Cap up at a garage sale last weekend and I'm good on telling real between fake on just about everything but German Caps, so with that in mind do any of you know if it is real or fake? Thanks

Attached Files:

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I'm certainly no expert, but with any used cap you see a good deal of discoloration on the part that touches the forehead because that's where the sweat and dirt tends to collect. I don't see it on that cap. The stains and wear seem to be distributed evenly all over the item If it's real, it must have been new when collected as a souvenir. That's not impossible - surely allied troops captured German supplies, and items like hats would have been passed around. But, of course a fake item made to look old would also have the wear more or less evenly distributed.

I'm sure somebody will be along that can look at the stitching, etc, and give you a more definitive answer.

4. agustinsaiz

agustinsaiz New Member

Looks as a good copy....

5. Fritz III

Fritz III New Member

Can we see a pic of the grommets on the inside? Has potential, eagle looks a bit off though, looks like a Breast eagle which is known to have been done in the field, any stampings in the liner?

Fritz

6. 15thusinfantry

15thusinfantry New Member

I know they repro everything, these days but no one I know does Africa Korps, No one except maybe a group out west, in Ariz or NMex. I never saw anyone with one, but I remember a real one someone picked up at a flea market close to where I live. It could be a custom job. Not worn much, the eagle and roundel look real. I would have to see it in person, as would most people. If you didn't pay a lot, no big deal. It looks good either way, real or not.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Don't bother lads, the man hasn't even returned here since 2014 .

8. AlteMutzenmacher

AlteMutzenmacher New Member

West German crown top and visor pattern.. Sides are ok..Eagle is early black backed Indian made reproduction bevo insignia .. cockade to damaged to tell ....Sorry not a war time piece from what I see..