Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Air to ground guided missles/bombs.....Luftwaffe

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by Erich, May 21, 2002.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Looking for books and web-sites covering the Luftwaffe's attempts at air to ground flying bombs or missiles such as the Henschel 292, 294 and the Fritz X FX 1400.

Anything out there in cyberspace or on the bookshelves guys ?

Thanks !

E

2. Steve

Steve Member

Erich: I am checking on this topic. Can you translate this book, it it might be of interest to you? Die grossen Dessauer: Junkers JU 89, JU 90, JU 290, JU 390: die Geschichte einer Flugzeugfamilie

3. Steve

Steve Member

Erich, is the Henschel a missile, bomb or a plane

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Steve :

A correction, looking for the Henschel Hs 293 294 and the Fritz X bombs that were I think raido controlled. The Fritz or Hs 292 was used to destroy the italien battleships/fleet so they would not be used against the Italiens former Allies.

Die Großsen Dessauer bei author Karl Kössler und Günther Ott. THE book on the Ju 290. Steve, I think it is the same book are you finding it OOP ? I have Karl's adresse so I am going to write him to see if he still has copies and if so to sign one for me. heard nothing but praise for this volume......

E

5. Steve

Steve Member

Erich: it is the same book and it is OOP.

6. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I jst got this!!

OOP = out of print

comes the dawn...

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ah ha ha, I had THOUGHT that it was some sort of European publishers initials. As Homer Simpson would say--DOH!!!! :eek:

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Sorry guys.....something like LOL....laughing out loud and HTH.....hope this helps...

anyway back to the thread. Some simple stuff found in the search engines.

www.concentric.net/~drake725/Hs 293.htm this has some nice pics of Luftwaffe a/c fitted with the glider bomb. They need a pic of a Ju 290 here ! :D

interesting battle sequences midway down this page of shipping hit by glider bombs.
    www.daileyint.com/seawar/seawar11.htm

lastly, the first ship sunk by a Hs 123 and over 1000 killed. An honour page of sorts to the Rohna. Read about the secret cover-up !!
    www.whidbey.net/rohna/rohna.htm

E

9. mp38

mp38 Member

I have a video tape on the He111 and Ju88. It shows rare footage of a He111 firing the Hs329 air-to-ground missle. It also shows another Luftwaffe bomber (probably Ju88) firing one and destroying and allied ship! :eek: Its' pretty cool! :cool:

Matt :cool:

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Mp38, really ? ! wow, what is the name of the vieo if I may ask ?

From what I can find and this in not confirmed yet.......there were approx. 1400 Fritx produced and 2300 Henschel Hs 293's produced. Quite a few guided bombs I would say. Don't know if all were used against Allied shipping or not, but of course there are recorded cases of their use as MP suggests as well as He 177's and the Fw 200 Condor used by KG 40 and KG 200. Also talk of the Ju 290 being used, but will of course have to rsearch that...... ;)

E

11. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

I looked at the destroyer lists of the USN and RN once and it seemed that the most frequent cause of loss was "gliding bomb".

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Andreas, can you still access the US reoprt ? Would love to see it myself for those figures. If there were as many guided bombs made as sources state, then even if half of them were launched then that would be something........

E

13. mp38

mp38 Member

Eric,

I believe the footage was on one of my "Wings of the Luftwaffe" tapes. I think it was either on the He111 tape or the Ju88 tape. I can't remember? :confused:

I'll have to watch them again and see!

You are correct about them being used primarly against allied shipping tagets. They were too unpredictable to use against ground targets, and ships are slow moving, and you could fire it from great range so that the ship could not shoot you down!

Matt :cool:

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

MP, thanks, and please let us know if there are codes of the Ju or Heinkel being shown as well as any camo details please........for reference purposes. Yes the glider bombs were used only against shipping for the primary purpose to be out of range of the Allied deadly AA fire. Quite effective these bombs were. Picking up a book on the two bombs Hs 293 and Fritz X from Merriam press soon.

E

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

This could be placed under books I suppose but does go along with the heading of the thread. Just received my copy of German Guided Missiles by William Wolf. $ 9.95 US from Merriam Press out of Bennington, Vermont. Soft-cover, 50 pages. Small photos and drawings of cut-a ways of anti-ship missile systems, and profiles of German Luftwaffe bombers and the carrying of these external weapons. Intoduction, develoment and history of these almost unknown guided units. For the monies this book cannot be beat. The units were the predecessor of what we are witnessing no in Afghanistan.

E

17. Otto

The sites didn't work for me, darn.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Otto :

Which sites are not working ? :eek: :eek: , all of them ?

Hmmmmm, I wonder what's up with this.

E

19. Otto

Erich,

Neither of them worked for me, maybe it's my computer?

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Otto :

You are very correct ! the last two are gone ! very weird as when I posted them they worked fine........well anyway, I think I have a couple of more that I will post soon. And all I can say is that they better work......arg :mad:

E